Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's what 1000 calories per day can look like.

Have you thought that 1000 calories per day would be miserable? Think again. Here's a link to an article describing it. And just to be clear, I am not suggesting that everybody consume 1000 calories per day. Some of the patients referred to me are prescribed that, but it by no means is for everyone. This is just to illustrate that it may not be what you've thought. https://journal.thriveglobal.com/this-is-what-1-000-calories-looks-like-e8bc84a639fc cThis is what 1000 calories per day can be.This is what 1000 calories per day can be.

I'm a formerly obese person and a Licensed Counselor. I'll be a supportive friend here if you need one.
Best Answer
168 REPLIES 168

I've actually reduced my calories to 1000ish per day these days, not sustainable, I'm doing it for the weight loss and of course I exercise. Well, I choose my food carefully and I'm never hungry. And it works! 1.5 kilos in a week, it's pretty great. The only thing I'm afraid of is plateauing. Because at this point, I won't reduce my calories anymore. But we'll see! I think sedentary people like us eat too much, too often. I also do intermittent fasting and the energy I have in the morning vs when I get any kind of breakfast is huge. That's just my own personal experience. I have pretty much 20lbs to lose, I got lost among all the new trends. Keto was my last one when I realized that I actually can lose wait while eating EVERYTHING in reasonable quantities... Again... I always knew it. Just lacked the discipline to be moderate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Marioncherie wrote:

1.5 kilos in a week, it's pretty great. The only thing I'm afraid of is plateauing.

If you keep losing real weight (that is, from tissue rather than water) at 1.5 kg / week, you can expect things to plateau rather quickly. If you "only" need to lose 9 kg or so, you could do it in about three months at a more sustainable pace.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I was aiming for 3 months actually. Wondering if I should increase my calories intake a bit then?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it looks like you would be able to eat subtantially more while still being in a deficit. How many calories does your Fitbit say you burn in average per day? The number is often inflated, but it can provide some guidance. You may also want to use an online calculator such as this one in order to get a "second opinion". You can use your average step count as a proxy to determine the activity level that best matches your situation.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Marioncherie wrote:

I've actually reduced my calories to 1000ish per day these days, not sustainable, I'm doing it for the weight loss and of course I exercise. Well, I choose my food carefully and I'm never hungry. And it works! 1.5 kilos in a week, it's pretty great. The only thing I'm afraid of is plateauing. Because at this point, I won't reduce my calories anymore. But we'll see! I think sedentary people like us eat too much, too often. I also do intermittent fasting and the energy I have in the morning vs when I get any kind of breakfast is huge. That's just my own personal experience. I have pretty much 20lbs to lose, I got lost among all the new trends. Keto was my last one when I realized that I actually can lose wait while eating EVERYTHING in reasonable quantities... Again... I always knew it. Just lacked the discipline to be moderate.

Marioncherie - Great work!   Plateaus are unavoidable with real weight loss. You lose a lot of water at first whenever you eat less than you did before, and then you'll settle to an average of 1 lb. per week for most women who are eating 1000 per day or so. That means you'll have periods of up to a month with no change in the scale, even though you are eating right, though your body composition will change. (Read my article about how to measure body fat (https://medium.com/thrive-global/new-technology-perfectly-measures-your-body-fat-e138f9830f2c)

This is why we need to track calories and judge how we are doing by looking at the energy balance. Every day you eat below your MR, you are winning, and you'll know it and feel successful. If you use the scale to judge how you are doing, it can ruin your mood, seeming to tell you you aren't getting anywhere. Read my article about science-based weight loss. (https://medium.com/thrive-global/science-based-weight-loss-ce6688728759)

I explain it all in my book. It will help you to understand a lot more.

I'm a formerly obese person and a Licensed Counselor. I'll be a supportive friend here if you need one.
Best Answer

Are you a doctor? Or just another fake profile with an opinion. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Audrey71 wrote:

Are you a doctor? Or just another fake profile with an opinion. 

It seems you did not read my profile or look at any of the information about me in the article. This is from the "About Me" portion of the profile: "I'm a Licensed Therapist who grew up with weight and diet torment for 25 years. I was the fattest kid in school, and over 300 as an adult. I trained in addiction and behavior therapy and developed a successful approach, losing 140 pounds over 30 years ago. The method and my book, "The Anderson Method" is highly respected by healthcare professionals and used in clinical bariatric programs. For more info, go to www.TheAndersonMethod.com or Google "William Anderson, LMHC" and "The Anderson Method".

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh I wasn’t talking to you, I was asking the troll that was asking if you were a doctor - and then went on to give medical advise.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Thank you for your support and advices, I’ll definitely take a look at your articles and book today! 

I had an amazing week so far creating a 1000 calories deficit , I had lost 1.8kg ( almost 4lbs) in 4 days ( which was probably too good to be true ) and on Friday I had a night out. I indulged obviously. Ate way over my 1000 cal and gained back 1.2 kgs that even with treadmill etc are still here 2 days later.

I’m a bit mad at myself for slowing my progresses down but I had fun that night and cant cut totally from

social life . I’m just surprised at how easy it is to gain back lol 

Best Answer

@Audrey71 wrote:
Oh I wasn’t talking to you, I was asking the troll that was asking if you were a doctor - and then went on to give medical advise.

Sent from my iPhone

Ah. OK. Thanks. This forum is so confusing to use. I get emails that appear to be addressed to me, and then I find out they aren't!   Thanks for the support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Marioncherie wrote:

Thank you for your support and advices, I’ll definitely take a look at your articles and book today! 

I had an amazing week so far creating a 1000 calories deficit , I had lost 1.8kg ( almost 4lbs) in 4 days ( which was probably too good to be true ) and on Friday I had a night out. I indulged obviously. Ate way over my 1000 cal and gained back 1.2 kgs that even with treadmill etc are still here 2 days later.

I’m a bit mad at myself for slowing my progresses down but I had fun that night and cant cut totally from

social life . I’m just surprised at how easy it is to gain back lol 

The scale measures mainly your water retention, which is not the important thing. The scale varies day to day, like the tides, and if you use the scale to judge how you are doing, you'll go crazy. Just keep track of the calories and you'll get where you want to be over time. One of the most important issues I address is changing the way we use and think about the scale. 

Not getting mad at ourselves is another important thing I teach about!

The psychology of weight control is much more important than the biology!

You are doing well. If we keep learning from reliable sources, life gets better and better all the time. 

Best Answer

You’re right and thanks again. You’re very encouraging ! 

I’m actually thinking of putting the scale away for a while Smiley Wink 

Best Answer

I think everyone should tell how tall they are on here.  It makes a major difference in what is reasonable.  It is silly to tell people 5 feet tall that they must eat 1200 calories a day.  They will weigh 120 pounds.  they will not lose weight.

Best Answer

Studies have shown over and over that people who weigh every day weigh less.  

Best Answer

@Glenda wrote:

I think everyone should tell how tall they are on here.  It makes a major difference in what is reasonable.  It is silly to tell people 5 feet tall that they must eat 1200 calories a day.  They will weigh 120 pounds.  they will not lose weight.

You are so right that some people will gain weight on very few calories. Read my article on science-based weight loss for a full explanation of the science. https://medium.com/thrive-global/science-based-weight-loss-ce6688728759

Many people rely on gossip and folklore for their information and news. They need to learn critical thinking skills and the scientific method for research. I wonder if schools are still teaching that?

Best Answer

Okay. Without cutting anything, I naturally eat less than 1k calories a day. (I started tracking because occasionally I stress-eat and wanted to put a stop to that). 

The comments sprung my interest since I'm not unhealthy (lower end of a healthy BMI) at 1k at all but this also depends on your lifestyle, mobility, etc. For example, I work at a desk.

Best Answer

What I am not hearing now that I see what you are is the effects of the psyc meds on the metabolism lol. I have Bi-polar Disorder with Borderline personality Disorder tendency. Severe depression, anxiety, and rage. I am on 5 different medications to keep me balanced but they didnt tell me the effects of them until I started gaining weight. I have been walking for 2 months, 5 miles a day. I can lose inches but not lbs.. has to be my diet I thought so I cut calories until I wasnt hardly eating at all. I was at 400 calories a day.  Sent my body into starvation mode and I couldnt lose at all. My mom made me eat at her house and I noticed I felt better. I am now at 1000 calories and cant eat anymore per day. I am stuffed and in 4 days I lost 3 lbs. 1000 calories for someone like me is actually perfect. I for one would like to thank you 

Best Answer

@Danni_1201 wrote:

What I am not hearing now that I see what you are is the effects of the psyc meds on the metabolism lol. I have Bi-polar Disorder with Borderline personality Disorder tendency. Severe depression, anxiety, and rage. I am on 5 different medications to keep me balanced but they didnt tell me the effects of them until I started gaining weight. I have been walking for 2 months, 5 miles a day. I can lose inches but not lbs.. has to be my diet I thought so I cut calories until I wasnt hardly eating at all. I was at 400 calories a day.  Sent my body into starvation mode and I couldnt lose at all. My mom made me eat at her house and I noticed I felt better. I am now at 1000 calories and cant eat anymore per day. I am stuffed and in 4 days I lost 3 lbs. 1000 calories for someone like me is actually perfect. I for one would like to thank you 

You are doing great!  These meds are so good in one way and such a pain in other ways. Some things play havoc with our metabolism and weight, and these meds are a major culprit. 

We all have a cross to bear (nobody gets off scot-free), but some are harder than others. Yours are no walk-in-the-park. So, thanks for the hard work and being an inspiration to others!

Best Answer
0 Votes

On days I don't work out I only burn just under 1800. 

Best Answer

I eat between 600 and 1000 everyday. I get fruit, veggies, eggs, cheese, 6 oz of meat, a slice of bread or carb smart tortilla. Its possible.

Best Answer