Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I calculate what my calorie burn goal should be?

I was wondering how Fitbit calculates the calorie burn goal.  Mine has been the same since I have had it.  Lately I have been working out more which has caused my heart rate to lower overall.  Now I never hit my calorie burn goal.  I can change it but I want it to be accurate so if anyone could tell me how to calculate it myself I could do that and see if it matches.  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

@David_P have you setup a weight loss plan, and log food? As you log food it will affect the calorie goal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue  I have my weight loss goal in there.  I don't log my food.  I did for a while but nothing ever changed.  When I got this a year ago and set it up it put my calorie burn goal at 2,707.  It has been the same ever since.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@David_P, since your question has nothing to do with your tracker a hardware, I've moved the thread to managing weight. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@David_P wrote:

I was wondering how Fitbit calculates the calorie burn goal.  Mine has been the same since I have had it.

I also have the same goal for calories burned as back in April 2013, when I got my first Fitbit (and was 15 kg heavier / 4.5 years younger). I don’t use the food plan either. My understanding is the initial calorie goal is initially set so as to be more challenging than the standard step goal (10k steps): in other words, you will need more than 10k steps in order to reach your calorie goal.

It’s up to you to adjust it, if you feel like it’s unrealistic / unattainable. I have kept mine unchanged, just like I kept the original step goal (10k) unchanged. I just don’t like changing things Smiley LOL. In principle, it should be more challenging than in 2013, because I’m both lighter and older than back then.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes