Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Eleven Month Journey

Me294-Final.jpgI started my journey at the end of december 2016. I'm currently 290 lbs with a loss of 130 lbs after 11 months.

I finally decided to get a fitbit to see how I do on a day to day basis.

I do a 2000-2400 calorie diet, lift weights and do cardio (concept2 rower) 5 days a week.

Still going strong, and looking to get to 250.

I am hoping with the fitbit charge 2, I can see my output during weights and while doing the rower. I do not like to take my phone onto the floor because I find it a distraction for me. However, this Charge 2 seems to be just what I need to set my parameters and do my workouts without any fuss.

🙂

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

Congratulations on your results so far! Good luck to you and I look forward to celebrating with you along the way!

Best Answer

Thank you JustMieka 🙂

Best Answer

I love these before and afters ... you are doing great @SunsetRunner.  Sometimes we over think how much to eat vs. how hard we work out in a given day, or how fast we want to lose weight.  Your calorie and exercise routine seem much like a normal healthy guy might do long term. If you keep that up, I think you'll blow right past 250.

One approach to weight loss that always made sense to me is to think about what your ideal weight/activity level would be and figure out how many calories "that guy" would need to maintain weight.  Once you have the daily calorie number, start making nutritional meal plans that you can eat the rest of your life, and start eating like that guy, and, as you are able, exercising like that guy.  Next thing you know, you'll be that guy, and you won't really have to change anything once you get there.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Baltoscott

One of things I did was not to follow a commercial system (i.e. Nutrisystem, griag, etc.). I have done a few, and every time I leave the system, I don't have something in place to *convert* myself over too. Also, I have done a lot of weight lifting in the past, and this is the first time I have combined diet and working out into the routine. It's always diet, or working out, but never both. This time around I am doing both. Plus, I realize that 80% of working out is diet. That saying "I can eat whatever I want because I work out" is so BS!!!! Smiley Happy

I buy my own food, do the meal prep on the weekend. I work out 5 days a week, with weight lifting and cardio (concept2 rower). I'm in the gym for 1.5 hours. On off days I make sure I do a walk for 3-5 miles. We have a nice Green Park right down from our house with trails. It's really nice and peaceful.

I track my foods with my app (NutritionIX Track) and it ties into my Charge 2. I track my rowing on the concept2 using their logbook as well, just so I can keep track of my effort. The Charge 2 will also help me with tracking sleep, weight lifting and cardio. I know all the numbers are somewhat off (they all are) but, to me, it's viewing my effort to make sure I can keep myself dedicated and challenged since I workout alone.

Also, there's something else I have figured out. Motivation doesn't get you there. Dedication does. People want to be motivated, but motivation doesn't get the work done. I'm not saying I have it all figured out, but I learned very quickly that you can read all the motivational stuff till your blue in the face, but it's getting out there and doing what you consider fun, and willing to do what gets it done. Not easy, but that's what I have come to learn.

Best Answer

Just curious. What's your height & age during your 11 month weight loss journey?

Best Answer
0 Votes

5'7", 53 yo 

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

5'7", 53 yo 

Holy cow! To lose that much weight at your height & age is quite an accomplishment. Your BMI must have been 50 something down to 40 something now. Bravo! Bravo!

Best Answer

Thank you @exhile 

I had no idea it was that big of deal  🙂 I mean, yeah, 130 is a lot for 11 months. And, I didn't starve myself either. If anything, the first 6 months I didn't track calories or anything like that. Also, I didn't hit the gym until April, three months after I started the journey.

I did however stop all fast food, bad carbs (or what I thought for me, was bad carbs) like cereal, rice, potatoes, bread, pasta. I also stopped drinking my calories, except for my meal replacement/protien drink. All fluids had to be a no calorie drink. I also stopped eating out, except once a month, and even then I had to rethink my choices, etc.

I didn't start tracking my calories until August and I started on a 1800-2000 calorie eating routine. However, I recently raised that to 2000-2400 daily because with my workouts I just felt depleted all the time. I refuse to starve myself. I just ty to make the best food choices I can make.

Best Answer

Congratulations and very inspiring. It really shows what is possible if you decide to make the right choices over and over again.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@Esya

Thank you Smiley Happy

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner: you must have phenomenal strength in your lower body to have been able to support that weight. I’m 174 cm (5’ 8.5) and currently about 60 kg (132 lb), so it’s like you no longer have to carry me. You can be commended for engaging in weight training to preserve as much of your strength and muscle mass as possible. I’d image leg press would be a good lower-body exercise for you.  

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Baltoscott wrote:

...One approach to weight loss that always made sense to me is to think about what your ideal weight/activity level would be and figure out how many calories "that guy" would need to maintain weight.  Once you have the daily calorie number, start making nutritional meal plans that you can eat the rest of your life, and start eating like that guy, and, as you are able, exercising like that guy.  Next thing you know, you'll be that guy, and you won't really have to change anything once you get there.  

This just struck me as brilliant! Thanks for that tip. I'm sure it would work for a "girl" too.  🙂

Best Answer

Right now, I can squat (Hack Squat) 290 lbs for 12 reps. I can leg press 300 for 15 reps.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner well done! and based on your post- you have way more figured out than most do. You are 100% correct in your assessment of motivation. It is an emotion. It is here one day gone the next. Every time someone says they need to be motivated- I want to correct them. They need to make this, whatever this is for them, the single most important thing in their life for however long it takes to get there. You sum it up brilliantly- dedication. I am putting you on notice that I am totally stealing that line from you.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili wrote:

I am putting you on notice that I am totally stealing that line from you.

@emili

WHAT?!!! This is an outrage! I demand my rights! I demand Justice!!!!

Smiley Very Happy

Remember to cough up the copyright costs directly to me every time you use it Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Ha ha. You got it. I guess you'll have to keep active on the boards to monitor the situation..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner A truly remarkable effort. Well done. I look forward to seeing ur progress in the coming year 

Best Answer

@EmjayH wrote:

@SunsetRunner A truly remarkable effort. Well done. I look forward to seeing ur progress in the coming year 

Thank you  @EmjayH  Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes