Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you do it?

ANSWERED

I've been using FitBit for over a year...  My exercise/diet is on / off....... Given we just entered into the new year I'd like to arrive at 200lbs in 2015.

I can acheive 10k steps using my treadmill but nothing like during the summer months given I am home bound as I live in the tundra of Minnesota.

I sit at a PC all day so I don't get much movement during the day.  

Also, if I don't exercise in the morning it seems even more difficult to get it done in the evening.

I'd be interested in what some folks do diet wise.....to cut calories.

I don't drink pop and try to stay away from sweets.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
It does take longer to lose weight then to put it on. I have found that when I eat my biggest meal at breakfast with some coconut oil (either in my coffee) on in a protein shake that it kick starts my metabolism. Not sure if this will help you but don't give up...You can do it. The other thing is you must have ACTIVE minutes. I teach all day and usually only have maybe 8 active minutes so i have to do something else to get my heart rate up in order to get the active minutes. Congrats on the 10,000 steps Are you logging what you eat? This may play into it as well. Types of food and times you eat certain foods really play into our diet. I am just learning this myself.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20
It does take longer to lose weight then to put it on. I have found that when I eat my biggest meal at breakfast with some coconut oil (either in my coffee) on in a protein shake that it kick starts my metabolism. Not sure if this will help you but don't give up...You can do it. The other thing is you must have ACTIVE minutes. I teach all day and usually only have maybe 8 active minutes so i have to do something else to get my heart rate up in order to get the active minutes. Congrats on the 10,000 steps Are you logging what you eat? This may play into it as well. Types of food and times you eat certain foods really play into our diet. I am just learning this myself.
Best Answer

Just wondering how the coconut oil is in the coffee...How much coconut oil do you use?  I may have to try this tomorrow morning.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I log my food and try to keep the 1,000 cal deficit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try a tbsp and google benefits of coconut oil. A sports nutritionist turnedme to this. I also really up my protein at the beginning of the day.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have always heard that exercising in the morning increases your metabolism

Best Answer
0 Votes

Never heard that about coconut oil....

Google says:  One study found that 15-30 grams of MCTs per day increased 24 hour energy expenditure by 5%, totalling about 120 calories per day (7).

Where do you get coconut oil.... does it taste as bad as Green Tea....

I once thought Green Tea helped with Metabolism but what can anyone believe anymore....  

Also, how in the heck do you get the active minutes to register.... today I've been more active that normal but yet I only have 17 minutes out of 30....

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I was working an office job, 1 or  2x a day if at all possible, I'd close my door and do 1 mile of a walking DVD by Leslie Sanson, usually 10-12mns.  http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/leslie-sansone   WalMart usually carries Leslie DVDs too.

Some days it was not possible, was just too busy.   You could also do something during your lunch break.  I can't tell from your post if you work from home or not.

Best Answer

Yeah, I work from home so have a bit more freedom I guess. but just really depends on my schedule.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am glad you asked - living in Michigan - I run and jog on the treadmill - working on my last 20 pounds to get it off in 2015 - I have bought a rebounder and started a mini-trampoline buddy group - and burning calories - it is called rebounding - best thing I ever bought in my life - it has changed the way I look at exercise - bouncing !  Look it up on the internet - so many benefits - I will post the benefits !  

Exercising correctly and regularly has great benefits for our health.

1. Rebounding provides an increased G-force (gravitational load), which strengthens the musculoskeletal systems.

2. Rebounding protects the joints from the chronic fatigue and impact delivered by exercising on hard surfaces.

3. Rebounding helps manage body composition and improves muscle-to-fat ratio.

4. Rebounding aids lymphatic circulation by stimulating the millions of one-way valves in the lymphatic system.

5. Rebounding circulates more oxygen to the tissues.

6. Rebounding establishes a better equilibrium between the oxygen required by the tissues and the oxygen made available.

7. Rebounding increases capacity for respiration.

8. Rebounding tends to reduce the height to which the arterial pressures rise during exertion.

9. Rebounding lessens the time during which blood pressure remains abnormal after severe activity.

10. Rebounding assists in the rehabilitation of a heart problem.

11. Rebounding increases the functional activity of the red bone marrow in the production of red blood cells.

12. Rebounding improves resting metabolic rate so that more calories are burned for hours after exercise.

13. Rebounding causes muscles to perform work in moving fluids through the body to lighten the heart's load.

14. Rebounding decreases the volume of blood pooling in the veins of the cardiovascular system preventing chronic edema .

15. Rebounding encourages collateral circulation by increasing the capillary count in the muscles and decreasing the distance between the capillaries and the target cells.

16. Rebounding strengthens the heart and other muscles in the body so that they work more efficiently.

17. Rebounding allows the resting heart to beat less often.

18. Rebounding lowers circulating cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

19. Rebounding lowers low-density lipoprotein (bad) in the blood and increases high-density lipoprotein (good) holding off the incidence of coronary artery disease

20. Rebounding promotes tissue repair.

21. Rebounding for longer than 20 minutes at a moderate intensity increases the mitochondria count within the muscle cells, essential for endurance.

22. Rebounding adds to the alkaline reserve of the body, which may be of significance in an emergency requiring prolonged effort.

23. Rebounding improves coordination between the propreoceptors in the joints, the transmission of nerve impulses to and from the brain, transmission of nerve impulses and responsiveness of the muscle fibers.

24. Rebounding improves the brain’s responsiveness to the vestibular apparatus within the inner ear, thus improving balance.

25. Rebounding offers relief from neck and back pains, headaches and other pain caused by lack of exercise.

26. Rebounding enhances digestion and elimination processes.

27. Rebounding allows for deeper and easier relaxation and sleep.

28. Rebounding results in better mental performance, with keener learning processes.

29. Rebounding curtails fatigue and menstrual discomfort for women.

30. Rebounding minimizes the number of colds, allergies, digestive disturbances, and abdominal problems.

31. Rebounding tends to slow down atrophy in the aging process.

32. Rebounding is an effective modality by which the user gains a sense of control and an improved self image.

33. Rebounding is enjoyable!

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am new to Fitbit. My daughte came home from university for Christmas break with one and i figured it would help me track activity and sleep which is very important in weight loss.

I had heart surgery in October. My cardiologist and family dr both urged me to lose weight but not go on an organized diet or do any calorie counting. They both believe these are detriments to weight loss because they, and not health, become the focus.

The cardiologist said eat 10% less and move 10% more increasing that over time. Walking is one of the best forms of restarting exercise. Heart and Stoke foundation recommends 30 min a day in five days over a 7 day period, never skipping two days in a row. The kinesiologist in cardiac rehab recommended breaking the 30 min up into two 15 min periods until my strength is back. He also said it should be moderate hard to hard but not very hard. The hospital dietician (I was in ICU for a while) also recommended up to 2 meatless days a week.

I took all this to heart (pun intended) and am down 20 lbs since beginning of Nov. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow good for you!  You totally took your power back and made it happen.  Keep up the good work.

I too started something similar in Nov. and am down about 15 lbs.  Feel so much better and my high blood pressure down as well as my stomach!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did rebounding today mixed with Coconut oil I am I already down 15lbs this morning.

Just Amazing!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I, too, sit at the computer almost all day. Every hour, I get up and walk around for 5-7 minutes. It doesn't sound like a lot, but that adds up after working 8-10 hours every day.

Also, I have a balance ball chair like this

It's a fantastic workout for your core, as you are having to stablize yourself all day long. You can get this on Amazon for about $60 (I think).
Competitive Crossfitter
Novice Runner
Getting Better EVERY Day
Best Answer
0 Votes

CSB54, that's hilarious, that is exactly what I do! LOVE those DVD's for a quick steps boost. You can find countless versions of them on YouTube as well.

Best Answer

WalMart has lots of good DVD's and CD's that help with the steppin'.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PaleoCrossfit:  Love that chair ---where can I get one and will I fall onto my "assets"?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry.  Didn't read the information below the picture of the chair.  Will look into it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi 

I also weigh a bit and sit behind a desk all day

Follow my blog if you like, i am trying to record my experinces during the journey from obese to healthy. 

My first post is here and i am just over a month in, there are 30 odd blogs to read on the right hand side menu. 

http://baggycantona.blogspot.com/2015/02/in-beginning-there-was-chubber.html

Good luck!

TBC

Best Answer
I also have a desk job and recently my back flared up causing me to not be able to use the elliptical anymore. I walk three times during the day. 30 min before and after work. Once at lunch. My building is good size so I get water from the far water fountain. As for diet, I started cooking more. Chicken and turkey sausage gumbo, green chili enchiladas soup and white cheddar chive potato soup. I bring my breakfast and lunch and have a bag at my desk of snacks that aren't too bad. Like popcorn or 100 calorie packs of things and I usuallu being carrots. Then if I get hungry I don't go to the cafeteria or vending machine since they have nothing that is low calorie
Best Answer
0 Votes