Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you stay motivated?

ANSWERED

Hi everyone, I am really trying to change what I eat and how I eat for weight loss and to feel better. I wake up in the morning with every intention of staying on this healthy life style plan, but often by 10am I've already had a donut or eaten when I wasn't hungry and just bored. How do you avoid this? Or how do you stay motivated? I need all the help and tips I can get! Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome @Mae88 to the journey.  Lots of things you can do, and reading these posts will reveal a lot of valuable information to help.  Here's what I would suggest as a first step if you are having a difficult time resisting mid-morning cravings:

• Reduce your hunger (to reduce the need for self control) -- have a satiating breakfast and include some healthy fat like avocado.
  • Drink 2 full glasses of water before 10:00
  • Give yourself a goal to get to lunch without snacking
  • If you absolutely must snack, have a small handful of almonds

The problem with snacking on donuts is that it's hard to stop once you start -- sugary snacks tend to spike your cravings.  If you can limit yourself to whole (unprocessed) foods for a few days, you'll find your cravings diminish.

And check in here -- it's easier when you have a community of people who are rooting for you.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Welcome @Mae88 to the journey.  Lots of things you can do, and reading these posts will reveal a lot of valuable information to help.  Here's what I would suggest as a first step if you are having a difficult time resisting mid-morning cravings:

• Reduce your hunger (to reduce the need for self control) -- have a satiating breakfast and include some healthy fat like avocado.
  • Drink 2 full glasses of water before 10:00
  • Give yourself a goal to get to lunch without snacking
  • If you absolutely must snack, have a small handful of almonds

The problem with snacking on donuts is that it's hard to stop once you start -- sugary snacks tend to spike your cravings.  If you can limit yourself to whole (unprocessed) foods for a few days, you'll find your cravings diminish.

And check in here -- it's easier when you have a community of people who are rooting for you.

Best Answer

Thank you @Daves_Not_Here I appreciate your suggestions and I will definitely be checking in here because it is easier knowing that I have people rooting for me! 

Best Answer

Let us know how you get along. I am rooting for you.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

One thing I've found useful is to change from thinking about 'motivation' to thinking more along the lines of commitment, dedication, etc.  Some times I'm not crazy about the idea of cleaning the bathroom, or driving to work, but I do it anyway (for lots of valid reasons).  For me, I think the same way about a healthy lifestyle - sometimes I'm full of enthusiasm and genuinely excited about a healthy meal and a workout, other times I'm not - and that's when the dedication (rather than motivation) kicks in.

Best Answer

I use my fitbit for motivation. Also my results are my motivation

Best Answer

While I can’t speak for others, using my Fitbit and some simple math, I have lost 75 pounds.  It is simple, make sure you burn more calories then you consume.  I won’t put any food in my mouth until I logged it in and got the calories for it.  Also, I walk, and that burns calories, helps the cardio and all this data I track with Fitbit.  For example I did a 8 mile hike in the smoky mountain park, the Fitbit logged my route, gave me statistics and showed that walk burned 2300 calories.  I try to stay 700 calories lower the what I burn daily.  So the bottom line is keep the log up to date and do t deviate from it, until, your goal is met.  For me I only need 10 more pounds.  By the way I am a 73 year old man, who went from 247 to 169 so far.  

Best Answer

Nothing worse than getting your butt kicked by a 73 year old.

Best Answer