Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does everyone get their heart rate readings?

This is my first time in the Fitbit forums.

I know how to get heart rate readings. i was just wondering how everyone personally gets there exertive normal and resting readings. Also how important do you believe taking heart rate readings to be for exersise / weight loss.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Great post, exactly what I was thinking. I am new to forum, and fitbit. Got my flex yesterday.

I hope someone can answer your question. If we do track our heat rates, what is the data telling us exactly?

Best Answer
0 Votes

ive done a bit of reading online and as far as i can tell it is an indicator of how fit you are. the lower your resting heart rate is the better, mine was an average of 69bpm this morning which i think is the healthier end of average for my age. i think as you get fitter your heart rate will stay lower when your exercising too. and ive read that if you suddenly get 3 or 4 readings higher than normal in the mornings it may mean your over doing it. other than that i dont think there is anything else that you can tell from your heart rate.

i got my fitbit one at christmas and bought a heart rate monitor yesterday. its really got me interested in all these health stats. just hope i can keep my self motivated.

Best Answer

I take my resting reading after waking and after moving around (getting breakfast, coffee, etc., before eating).

Doc said to wait 10 minutes before eating and relaxed with blood pressure and hear.  I use a wrist monitor to do that and log it in.  I post my exertive heart rate when using a treadmill as it tells me.  When I remember I post.  You can always just take your pulse and check it too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh, my wrist cuff displays both heart rate and blood pressure.  Sorry if I missed it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the post. What is a wrist cuff and where did you buy it?
Bob
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a blood pressure cuff for your wrist.  It can be purchased in generally any store like RiteAid, Walgreens, Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc.   They are between 99 and 169 dollars.  I switched after my readings were so far off and compared it to my doc's cuff readings.  The key to taking blood pressure for resting (if it's high) is to sit quietly without crossing legs or feet and wait 10-15 minutes.  If you walk a treadmill at a gym when  you place your hands on the metal handles (for most treadmills) it will provide you with an exertive heart rate if it's important.  Wrist cuffs need to be used exactly like the instructions say to be most accurate.  Easy.

I do it because I'm trying to get off my last BP med and my doc says she wants me to workout hard.  She wants me to be able to talk, but not sing.  

Best Answer
0 Votes