Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many steps per day for weight loss?

When I was 18-ish, I ran five miles a day.  I'm pushing 50, and am checking with my doctor re: my health.  I am wanting to get up and do five (or four) do at least one mile of walking throught the day at work, and come home and finish the night with five (or at least four). So like 20K steps a day.  So far, my water intake is alot higher, and I am imagining in the summer time, my water intake will be much more.  I am easily doing the eaght miles, but I am going to watch it.  What do you guys figure on actual weight loss?  I am an average eater, (lots of good protiens and veg/kale, fruits), watch my sugar intake, and am about 230, 5'9" and a male.  I am walking at a pretty MELLOW pace at this point.  I figure I gotta lose something by this time next year.  Maybe if nothing else I will just lean out alot...

Thoughts?

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

If you haven't exercised much for the past 30 years (which your current BMI of 34 could indicate), you may want to take it easy. Set up a realistic goal you can achieve every day, or at least on a weekly basis. Start slowly and increase gradually. I'm saying this after I had a look at your steps for the past month:

daily steps

It's a long-distance run, not a sprint. At your current fitness level, maybe something like 7000 steps could be a good starting point?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
start out slow I am 58 and to lose 40 pounds - average was burning 2500 calories a day - I worked my way up
Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wear your Fitbit for a few days of you not trying to get more steps in, to get a baseline of how active/inactive you are now.  Then increase it slowly.  Any increase in activity (not accompanied by a concurrent increase in food) results in weight loss.  

For better results, also log your food.  Try to keep your intake 500-1000 calories below your average daily calorie burn to lose 1-2lbs/week.  

A goal of 20,000 steps a day isn't realistic.  10,000 usually is (eventually) and it's usually challenging enough for us desk jockeys, which is why you see it recommended so much.  It's a healthy level of activity to maintain for the long term.  If you feel it's too conservative a goal, maybe instead of adding steps, add 2-3 days of strength training or resistance exercise.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer

We burn about 100 calories per mile walked.  If you are walking 5 or 6 miles every day this will be close to 3,500 calories a week -- or 1lb weght loss.  Or 52 lbs a year!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Everyone is different - some people are comfortable with 10,000 steps, some 20,000 steps - everyone is different - just listen to your body!  

Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know people who do 50,000 to 60,000 steps per day consistently - I happen to be a 20,000 step girl right now - but I can do more - but I do listen to my body - feet tell me, legs tell me and back tells me when to slow up 🙂

I am more concerned about my "burn" regarding my calories.  I like to burn at least 2,500 calories a day.

Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

Good starting point is 7,000 steps a day - that's what I started with and gradually worked my way up.

Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

Steps really will not help you to lose weight.

Its all about what you eat.

But I agree start out slow and build up from there

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

totally agree...listen to your body and work your way up....wondering still how you manage to burn 2500 calories a day!!!!!!!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Start logging your food and drinks to start with.  Build up your step count over period of weeks. 
I started out 10,000 steps a day and now average between 20,000 to 25,000 but then I've been training for 1/2 marathon walk which I did last saturday - 3 hours 27 minutes. My average calorie burn a day is about 3000 calories. I always have calories left over I don't eat - about 500 or more a day.
I've lost 30 KG's in 8 months or so -but I've been extremely dedicated and determined in my efforts with no excuse attitude. I've done much faster than most people would have. Female 45 years

Good luck

31 KG's LOST as at 21st Feb 2014 . Do not return to owner it you find it.
Best Answer
lost 40 pounds with a burn of 2500 calories each day - weight fell off me - combined with counting Weight Watchers points - very successful with my buddies - kept me accountable
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer