Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Fitbit to show me the PROPER amount of calories left for the day (calorie deficit)?

I'm trying to lose about 10 lbs. I set up Fitbit to me eating 1300 calories per day to accomplish this goal in a few months (the Easy setting of a 250 calorie daily deficit). However, I can't understand how to see the calorie deficit for each day. I have linked my Fitbit with MyFitnessPal app.

Example: Fitbit shows that I have burned 1600 calories today. But I ate only 1300 calories (logged with MyFitnessPal). Instead of showing that I have a deficit of 300 calories, it says that I still have several hundred calories to go. Is that number based on the amount of calories I've burned today?? But if I ate those hundreds of calories, I would gain weight -- I would have no calorie deficit for the day.

This is so confusing. What am I not understanding about how this works???

Here are some screen shots from today, for example:

Why does it say on one screen that I can still eat 447 calories out of 1,747 (where is THAT number coming from?) -- but on another screen it shows that I burned 1,974 calories and ate 1300 calories??

Also, why doesn't it show that I have a 674 calorie deficit for today (1,974 calories burned minus 1,300 calories eaten)??

And -- if I set up the app with a goal of 1300 calories per day, and that was what I ate, why isn't the meter in the "Goal Zone"??

Food Plan - how many cals I can still eat.PNGPlan Summary.PNGCalories burned and eaten.PNG

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Does ANYONE have an answer???

Best Answer

It looks like Fitbit is working off a base calorie intake of 2000 calories a day to maintain weight (including activity). You wanted to deduct 250 calories a day to lose weight which would leave 1750 calories to eat (1747). The screen saying you still have 447 calories to eat brings your food intake of 1300 (from your fitness pal) across leaving a deficit of 447 to make up the 2000 - 250 = 1750. The activity screen shows your activity calorie used as 1974 against your eaten calories which appears to show a deficit 674. BUT consider Fitbit starting from a 2000 daily calorie intake less your 250 for weight loss making the 1750, then deduct the 250 from the 1974 and you get a 1724 which given the inaccuracy is probably about right. The two pages are telling the same story but from a different perspective. Confusing though and I may not be correct but the numbers do add up.

Best Answer
0 Votes