Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I burn 4000-4500 calories a day and eat 2000-2500 still not loosing weight It’s not making any sense

I m 37 ..5’11 ..211 lbs..I burn 4000-4500 a day 20000 steps and eat 2000-2500 calories a day ..still not losing weight ..my weight is stable ..why

Best Answer
65 REPLIES 65

Hey yes!

Strength, stamina, fitness, mobility, etc., all linked to each other. Main input from you is good diet and having the resolve to keep at it. If you’re new to it go steady and get your muscles working first. You can probably double your strength in 6 weeks when starting from scratch. The more you do the easier it gets and you will also feel better, also the more rewarding it is... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

I know what I have posted is true, because it’s how it is and how it has been for me for many years.

What I do mostly notice is people’s perception of what is a ‘workout’, especially now it’s January and many people are “on a mission” to get fitter, lose weight, etc... the reality is most of these people stroll on the treadmill, or gently pass 15mins on the stationary bicycle whilst looking at their iPhones... they don’t break sweat, or get breathless, etc.  Then after 2 weeks you never see them again.

People think there is an easy route to being fit and not fat, then when they discover that it actually takes real effort and real commitment along with hard work, most just give up and blame it on their ‘genes’, the food industry, or something else.

So, the seriously hardworking “winners” in this health/fitness/strength game are not sharing false info, they are simply sharing their own experience hopefully for the benefit of others following in their footsteps.

Of course with all due respect I’m referring to the physically able majority in all the above.

Best Answer

Hi

Past 50 yrs old it is much more difficult to maintain muscles and stay strong.

I’ve rarely had ‘junk’ food more than twice a week. What works for me these days is a higher protein intake (needed because I’m 57) and weight training 5 times a week.  This keeps me strong, it also keeps my arthritic knees in check. So my regular staples include eggs, porridge, vegetables, meat, chicken, milk etc.

I started including HIIT cardio training maybe 6 months ago, after learning about it on this Fitbit website.  I now try and include 20mins HIIT at least 3 days a week.  In just doing this I’ve increased my cardio fitness significantly, and I can feel the difference. It makes me feel very much alive and full of energy, which is remarkable as I’m 57.  However I do train hard and you only get out what you put in.

This is my current Fitbit cardio fitness. I know that if I let myself lose 8lbs I would be rated ‘excellent’, but it would be 8lbs mainly muscle - so I will stay as I am..

5A571D18-70D6-4A8C-BEBA-E22B54712F78.jpeg

Good luck with your training I’m sure you are doing well - I do think cardio and weight training will help you look/feel better AND will help keep you out of your coffin for longer...

Best Answer

@Craigside wrote:

... a higher protein intake (needed because I’m 57)  [...] also keeps my arthritic knees in check. 

I’m also 57, but no arthritis so far (touching wood). I’m aware of the need to up protein as you get older, but it’s new to me protein would help with arthritis. I did find a mention of a study in one reliable source (UK NHS), but it appears to be related to one particular type of protein and research is still at an early stage.

makes me feel very much alive and full of energy, which is remarkable as I’m 57...

Come on, you make it sound like we should already have one foot in the grave at 57! This is 2019, average life expectancy for men in rich countries is above 80. I personally don’t find much remarkable about being in shape at 57.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi..

Yea, I agree and I’m planning hopefully on the next 30 years myself, but trust me in UK I’m still in the minority by working out to keeping fit and strong etc at my age...

The protein is to maintain muscle, I’m informed that we need to intake relatively more protein to keep our muscles as we get older, and it does work for me. Also I find that by weight training I have no joint pain and can do everything.  If I stop training I start to get knee joint pain (arthritis). 🙂

Best Answer

Alas @Craigside @Dominique — at 58 I guess I’m the one over the hill.  On the other hand, I’ll beat you both to 80 Man Very Happy

For me, exercise does not cure all ills; despite weight training 4 days most weeks and a fair bit of bike cardio, I have some joint pain, and it may even be related in part to my training.  But I try to work around it and try to rehabilitate it.  But it is not debilitating by any stretch, and I pretty sure it would be worse if it didn’t exercise. So, I say ... Use it or lose it!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Ha ha, yes it certainly doesn’t cure all my ills, but I do feel better for it and I hope it’s doing me some good!  Also, there’s various exercises I avoid these days that are not good for my knees, back, etc...

I agree, use it or lose it! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

At the end of the day bigger boddied men run into this often. It’s a form of overtraining that experiences with muscle mass becoming diminished to the point where the body responds by not being able to recover faster that you burn calories. You body if contined May see a huge reduction in body function loss such as a huge loss in immune system functions. I highly recommend trying for a week to keep your calories barely under a 500 deficit and I promise at the end of the week you will see a lower body fat percentage. This was a huge hurdle for me back when I was 240. Your deficit becomes two large and your body panics because of it. Good luck!!!!

Best Answer

I agree with this. Fitbit's calorie count is very poor in my experience, as is the heart rate tracking.

I can't speak for the newer models but my Blaze, which I've owned for over 2 years, has shown some absurd readings at times. For example, on numerous occasions, my heart rate has been clocked at 160+ BPM during a steady stroll; yet I've barely broken a sweat. Hence, I no longer pay much atten to the readings it gives.

In hindsight, I wish I hadn't bought a Fitbit. Better to save up and buy an Apple Watch if you can.

Best Answer
0 Votes
  1. Your eating the wrong foods.  processed oils and processed foods, sugar all cause inflammation which inhibits fat burning - try intermittent fasting - it’s about controlling your insulin
Best Answer
0 Votes

@JORDY20 : this topic was started more than one year ago and has many contributors. It would help if you mentioned the person at whom your advice is directed. You can do so by tagging with the @ character, like I did with you.

It’s possible to burn fat with or without intermittent fasting. It’s all about creating an adequate caloric deficit. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

I'm in the same boat my friend. In fact, I am gaining weight!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this is a little late. But i got the renpho scale that logs body fat, water, et . And i step on it every day to see what compositions shift. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found that eating more calories each day increased my weight loss efforts. I had to trial and error.  Each week. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Benefit to weights before cardio i discovered is your heart rate is already up at 135 from weights and stays there longer during cardio.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Davelevack wrote:

Benefit to weights before cardio i discovered is your heart rate is already up at 135 from weights and stays there longer during cardio.  

@Davelevack : it’s a good idea to pay attention to proper syntax and use of punctuation, as it makes it easier to read and understand your posts (especially for non-native speakers of English like myself). Did you mean to say:

"It is beneficial to do weight lifting before cardio. I discovered that your heart rate is already up at 135 from the weight lifting and it stays there longer during cardio."

If so, yes, when doing both cardio and weights during the same session, it’s usually advised to do weights first, then cardio. Though this hasn’t much to do with weight loss.  

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

Its because you are calorie deficit on a daily basis and your body enters panic mode .. as it used to enter during the primitive ages when hit by famine and there was no food.. by being calorie deficit your body is tricked into believing that there is a famine and food is scarce.. so in panic mode it will start accumulating fat and converts carbs into fat to prepare itself for the future deficit of food.. so everything is wrong here .. 

yes work out and exercise is important but it is also important not to push your body into panic mode .. so if you are burning 4000 calories you should consume 4000 calories or simply trust your hunger and tongue .. eat whenever you feel hungry and till the time you feel full.. that is the best way to relax your body and lose weight... and also stop avoiding carbs and fats as they are essential macro nutrients including protein .. 

however their is a ratio every calorie you consume should be rich in micro nutrients and fiber ... 

other factors that might influence your weight 

1. caffeine consumption .. yes even a little can f**k things up

2. smoking and tobacco use

3. alcohol or any other drugs.

4. your diet is low in micronutrients

the more the micronutrients the more tasty food will become .. and always eat when you are hungry even a little ..

it is also true that not all micro nutrients and macro nutrients are discovered yet.. so it is not worthwhile to consider food based on micro nutrients.. some food termed as empty calories might have some nutrition .. 

so instead of trusting scientists and other nutrition labels .. trust mother nature and the best nutrition level tested gifted by her to human kind and that is the sense of taste .. if the food is whole, natural and tastes good without any preservatives or taste makers .. then the food is full of nutrition and if not dont eat it ... Trust your tongue ..

Best Answer

Could there be any underlying medical issues? I am be experiencing the same thing. I gave gain 7 lbs since July 28. My 7 day Average calorie burn is about 2800 and my intake about 2500. The blood test a year ago revealed that I suffered from minor hyperthyroidism. My Doctor last year didn't think it was serious enough then to intervene. 

Best Answer

Hi  @Bishop1968 I would suspect that the consumption calorie counting is quite difficult to accurately maintain. Even over a single week it would be not be difficult to be ‘over’ your planned target consumption, and I would suspect that this could be a reason why you have this situation.

Simply put, you can’t gain weight when consuming less calories than you are burning off...

Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi  @Bishop1968 I would suspect that the consumption calorie counting is quite difficult to accurately maintain. Even over a single week it would be not be difficult to be ‘over’ your planned target consumption, and I would suspect that this could be a reason why you have this situation.

Simply put, you can’t gain weight when consuming less calories than you are burning off...

Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes