Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cant stop eating sugar, I'm really trying to stop eating refined sugar!

ANSWERED

sugar is a heard thing to stop eating. The more I try to stop eating it it seams the more I crave it . HELP

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Use real sugar not the corn **ahem**.

You will notice the difference.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
17 REPLIES 17

It's not easy to stop years of a bad habit, but it can be done. You have a medical reason for wanting to change or is this just a desire to become more healthy?

Sugar is in so many foods. Carbs turn to sugar, so foods such as potatoes, pasta, rice and bread aren't always the best things to eat.

Sometimes you just need to take it slowly and not try to make all the changes at once. Start with whatever is your worst habit. If you drink sugary drinks, cut back on them or replace them with water (best) or diet (not the worst) soda.

Avoid eating when you're stressed or bored. That is when you are weakest to make those changes. It's all too easy to sit and eat cookies mindlessly. Exchange those cookies for popcorn or raw veggies.

There are many ways to stop eating sugar, but start with one.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

I've only ever succeeded by going cold turkey...i think it must really be a drug. I can't eat it in moderation, but if I avoid sugar completely and switch to alternatives like honey, maple syrup, agave, fruit juice, then I am ok. I have gone years without any sugar, but once I introduce it again, bam, it's all over! Good luck with your challenge!

Best Answer

Nothing says you have to stop eating it....just limit it and start playing around with alternatives.  I LOVE sugar-free strawberry jello.  I keep cups of that in my fridge all the time.  If I am truely going bonkerz for candy, I will grab a snack size or fun size bar like what you hand out to kids on Halloween.  Tons of alternatives out there.  Poke around and try some.  You will be surprised!

Best Answer

I find that if I eat more protein my cravings are not as bad - believe it or not.  I try to eat hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, tuna, chicken, etc.  It does help me.  

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

Quite a few studies have shown sugar can be as addictive as cocaine.......   I don't doubt it. 

Best Answer

I'm trying to cut down on sugar as well. It is so difficult! Definitely addictive substance

Best Answer

T2 diabetes runs in my family, so I quit sugar cold turkey 3 years ago.   Best thing I could have done for my health.  I heard a saying that explains diabetes perfectly:  genetics loads the gun, but carbohydrates pull the trigger.

This is an interesting article that just popped up in my Facebook feed yesterday, and it may help your resolve when it comes to avoiding sugar:

http://carbsyndrome.com/new-name-type-2-diabetes-carbabetes/

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope this is helpful to you.  I read, last summer, The Sugar Detox by Alpert and Farris.  They are both doctors and I found it to be really helpful in helping me cut down on my sugar intake, along with making me more aware of the amount of sugar I was consuming.  It is a 3 day detox and full of great information to help you get through 3 weeks of less sugar.  What I like is it is easy to adapt it into one's lifestyle.  I lost weight, sleep better, my bowels are better, and my skin is much better.  I suggest you look into it, if you like.  You can download it on Kindle or Nook and read the first 50 pages free.  I think its 50.  Hope I provided some help.  Good luck to ya!

Best Answer

sg1964jazzy, I am struggling with cutting back on refined sugars as well. Would love some advise from anyone out there!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Early last yr my nutrionist put me on a low carb diet which included taking me off of refined sugars, it was a cold turkey approach, I saw her on a Monday, the diet started that Tuesay. My body went thru the detox for several days, I had no energy at all but by that Saturday I was fine. She put me on Truvia which is a Stevia based sweetener and that is what I use to sweeten coffee, tea, cereal, etc. I will used honey or Agava in my oatmeal but that is just sometimes but your body will adjust to it, you just have to give it time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You should watch this video - I found it very helpful.

I have been able to cut down drastically - especially with all the hidden sugars, but I still struggle almost daily with sweet treats.

I've been addicted to some pretty bad things and have given them all up cold turkey, but not sugar. So, you are not alone.

The way I look at it, at least I've cut WAY down, and I'm also more aware of the hidden sugars. So even though I still eat treats most days, I'm only eating a smidgen of what I was once eating, sugar-wise. I also, for the most part stay at or under my daily calorie intake.

Something is better than nothing.

Good luck!

Started with a Flex. Now have ChargeHR.
Contact Customer Support

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sugar is in 99 percent of your everyday food. You just need to make the right choices of foods to lower your sugar intake gradually and swing it over to protein.

Say no to chocolate. Say no to candy. Say no to bagels. Say yes to lean meats, moderated amount of peanuts, eggs, (1) Non-sugar Protein Bar (Quest Cravings is one company but tastes bad), and optional moderated sugar-free gum.

Don't want too many sugar-free gum sticks. Many can't handle more than one stick.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I avoid sugar and stick to low carb as much as possible.  But, I still bake a lot and make ice cream in the like, just now I use xylitol (preferable) or Swerve as 1 to 1 sugar replacements.  Xylitol tastes just like sugar to me, and seems to bake and cook the same, and has the added bonus of being good for your teeth.  But I've been using it a while and I know some people can be sensitive to it at first before they adapt to it, so you might want to try using some xylitol and mostly Swerve at first.  Swerve is decent, but I can detect a cooling aftertaste and it crystallizes in pastries sometimes after a couple days.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My problem is, when I hit my ideal weight I reintroduce some sweets (oreos, processed **ahem**) but then I have a really hard time stopping the consumption until the night ends. Especially if I am hungry. I work graveyard shift, which means lots of downtime with kitchen priviledges and a pantry filled with every snack known to mankind but also lots of healthy prdoduce, so I do have a choice. I eat healthy at home, all whole foods, but I can have a treat if I want at night, but then I just go to bed and I'm fine. The next day I will start in with ealthy eating, keeping my protein at 30%, carbs at 50% and fats at 20%. If I could find a substitute for sugary snacks I would be set. Can anbody help?

Best Answer
0 Votes

sugary is so addictive its rediculous! Once I have any sweets I have to clean my mouth, floss, gargle, brush, tongue cleaning, to get the flavor out of my mouth or I will crave the feeling consuming sweets gives me. Truly an addiction and hard to avoid.

Best Answer

Use real sugar not the corn **ahem**.

You will notice the difference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a sleeved weight loss surgery patient.  Don't know if you have ever tried protein bars, but I eat Pure Protein bars.  They have 4 or 5 different flavors.  My favorie is the chocolate salted caramel.  This is as close to eating a candy bar as I have found.  It is 160 cal, 16 carbs, 6 fat, 2 sugar,and 6 of sugar alcohol.  And it has 30 grams of protein, which baratric patients have to have 60 - 80 gram of protein a day.  They are with all the protein in the pharmacy at Walmart.  

Best Answer
0 Votes