Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I quit sugar, too

How do i deal with sugar cravings when i am on i quit sugar mode

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

@Fat_Walker - how are your sugar cravings? I’ve found that the pretty much disappear after 3 days sugar free and low carb. But those 3 days can be brutal. That alone motivates me to stay on course! 

Best Answer

I have found that the cravings don't really go away, although I wish they did.  Sometimes are just harder than other times.  I deal with this by finding good, healthier foods I like.  For me, dried mango (no sugar added) is my go to treat, as well as freeze dried fruit.  I also drink Les Croix when I want something other than water.  

Best Answer

@Fat_Walker   Mayo Clinic (if you Google) says artificial sweeteners are okay.  They are the last thing on my list of "blessings" I am grateful for.  Giving up sugar doesn't have to be "brutal".  

Best Answer

I can get some horrendous cravings for sweets.  So here are the things that help me.

1.  Don't keep sweets in the house.  No cookies, candies, chocolate, ice cream, or bakery sweets.  Nothing. It's too easy to intend to have 1, and then end up having 10 and convince yourself to just "start again tomorrow".

2.  If you would like to have a treat, get ONE.  Not a box.  I went to the grocery store to get some fruit and veggies, and found individual sized pies.  I bought one, and had it as a treat for dessert.  Just shy of 300 calories, not 900 calories, and I only had the one, so once it was gone, it was gone.  

3.  I find that watermelon in particular, and to a lesser extent cantaloupe and honeydew melon) crush my sugar cravings almost immediately.  I keep some in the fridge, cut up and ready, so that I can snack on it immediately when I have a sugar craving. 

4.  Drink lots of water. Plain, fresh, water.  That helps me as well.  

Best Answer

In order to quit sugar, you have to basically go low carb as well. Also only use Stevia as a sweetner. When I gave up sugar in Dec, I replaced my sweet n low with Stevia and never looked back. I never have sugar cravings because I rarely eat any fruit other than berries. I do eat lots of cheese. I have lost 13 pounds and never tracked calories. I am 5'7" and 160, and in pretty decent shape. It amazes me how effective this low carb lifestyle is. I plan on keeping it in my life for a very long time. I finally got my resting heart rate back to 60 and my blood work has improved. It works for me. Years of going to the gym was not as effective as going low carb! I do miss bread until I have a small piece then my stomach protests. Always a good reminder!

Best Answer

Yes, I read (and it's so true), if you say "no" to something in the grocery store, you only say "no" once.  But if it comes in the house, you have to say "no" over and over.  

Best Answer

I'm glad that works for you! I use a little honey as a sweetener in my morning hot drink.  

Best Answer
0 Votes