Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a calorie just a calorie?

I don't ask this question expecting an answer. I came across an article that I wanted to share with some of you - at least the ones that might find it interesting. I never knew just how "they" came up with the calorie information outside of the packages of food we eat. This article sheds some light on that, and other things.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/is-a-calorie-a-calorie.html

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4
I've figured out that a calorie is just a calorie when strictly talking about weight loss. But if we are talking about nutrition and health, the foods behind the calories are very important.
Best Answer

Thanks for the article.  I agree with Carol is more about nutrition and health.

Thats article pretty much said that

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I am convinced that foods that are high in sugar or carbohydrates will elevate insulin levels which then signal fat storage to take place.  No one ever considers the hormonal aspect of weight loss or weight gain.  We can look at a child and if they are not growing we know they have a growth hormone problem.  The same happens with obese individuals.  We see them gaining weight and think, oh they eat too much, or they don't exercise enough.  Fact is, eating a high carb diet WILL make you hungry, and exercise WILL make you hungry.  If you can get the insulin levels lower, then the extra calories that are normally consumed will not be desired and weight loss will occur naturally, and very easily.  So in a sense yes a calorie is a calorie, but in another sense, it isn't because the wrong high sugar calories will tell your body to store fat instead of burn it.

Best Answer

I thought this too and tried to prove it for several years but really the only true diet journal is my body and the theory doesn't work. I am 50, hypothyroid, and I stay under 1300 cals per day. if I eat low carb, I gain even at those cals. High carb, lowfat is much easier on my body and mind. If I stay at 80% carbs from fruit & veg (not refined carbs) and keep my fats under 14% (I aim for 10% fat on a daily basis), I maintain 114 easily, and my insulin takes care of itself.

Inga
Best Answer