Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok to be eating way under my calories?

Hello there! I am a 15 year old male that weighs 214 pounds and is 5 foot 10 inches. My Versa 3 equates my BMR to about 3100 a day sedentary, but if I workout it gets up to 3800-4000. I eat about 1500-2000 calories a day. Do I need to change how much I eat? I workout 3-5 times a week also if that helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Thal3xd  I moved your post to the Manage Weight area of the forum for more responses. Have you checked with your health care professional to see what your weight and caloric intake should be? 

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

First of all thank you for moving it!

And I have not asked because I haven’t been to the doctor in about a year because I have been in pretty good health and have had no reason to go. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You go before you have problems, and to learn things.

Like your use of the term BMR.

Like from undereating when you are 15.

If you feel like some stunted growth that you WILL live with REST of your life - continue. You will so badly regret that later.

Otherwise, good to ask questions, yes you should be eating more if that is decent estimate, but you wouldn't know that either.

But questions are only good if directed to the right people.

If nothing else to be checked out, get in to see a dietician who receives schooling in this. Even your GP Dr only gets 6 month course but at least can deal with averages and recommendations, dietician much more training and can help more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll add another incentive since you are a young guy.

When you do extreme diets - you lose muscle mass as part of the weight along with the fat, can be upwards of 25% if not more if you do things poorly with your diet and workouts.

You want to loose muscle? What's going to show when there is less fat?

With maybe 50 lbs or less left to healthy weight, your deficit off your daily burn would not be that much.

Certainly not 50% deficit - which will just set you up for a lifetime of yo-yo dieting probably like so many deal with.

But a reasonable deficit for an adult who isn't growing - reasonable for that body and for yours is very different.

But 50% deficit is extreme no matter what, and only 50 lbs to maybe healthy weight doesn't require extreme diet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes