Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to lose 20 pounds in 2 months?

Is it possible to lose 20 pounds and get super fit in 2 months?

Advice and tips would be awesome! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
17 REPLIES 17

The weight loss part: maybe. Super fit (if you’re currently unfit): probably not. Why the need to be in such a rush?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I would never set a weight loss goal like that. If I didn't make it then what happens?

What is the rush in the first place? I would rather eat less move more and lose at a healthy rate

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominiquewrote:

The weight loss part: maybe. Super fit (if you’re currently unfit): probably not. Why the need to be in such a rush?

My man, summer is approaching and some doodz want to show off their raz0r abbbzzz!

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

This is the view from my home office’s window as we speak:

outdoorsnow.jpg

Gonna take more than a couple of months before I get a chance to show off my abs!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

:,) accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The short answer is yes, of course. that is possible if you eat little enough...

The question is does that goal make sense for you and for your body?  

For example, if you are only about 20 pounds overweight, losing those 20 pounds in 2 months is theoretically possible, but is likely to be extremely difficult, mostly unhealthy and very probably only temporary...  Even if you succeed, you are likely to be cranky, hungry and listless while you are losing, and as soon as you stop (literally) starving yourself, you'll probably gain all the weight and more back again -- at least that is the experience of many "crash" dieters.

On the other hand, if you are something like 100 pounds, or even more, overweight, then losing those same 20 pounds in 2 months could still be challenging, but might be perfectly healthy and reasonable for you.  In fact, depending on your age and activity level, it might be part of a longer term journey back to a weight that is healthiest for you.  People often lose fastest at the start of a diet -- weight loss journey -- and although the initial loss is probably disproptionately "water" loss, the sight of the scale going down fast early on can be an important motivator.  

The closer you get to whatever your weight goal, the slower your progress is likely to be (for very good health reasons).  And you are most likely to be able to maintain your new weight if you have achieved it in healthy stages.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

I'm 20 pounds overweight. Yeah, I know that starving yourself isn't healthy. 

I'm planning on consuming a healthy amount of calories but working out a lot.

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @adeleg16, in that case you might find that a goal of a pound a week is more realistic -- or maybe even 2 lbs a week for the first couple of weeks or so , if you are very disciplined and want to give yourself a kick start... and then accept that weight loss is likely to be slower as you approach your goal -- it might even drop to .5 per week or even less the closer you get.

Even though plateaus can be frustrating, many people feel that they can actually be valuable in maintaining weight loss in the long term.  In very non scientific terms, it is your body "getting used" to its new, lower weight, until it becomes your new "set point".

Best Answer

How do you get past a plateau?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@adeleg16wrote:

@adeleg16, that's a very popular topic of discussion here.

Take a look at these threads.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

I lost 20 pounds in exactly two months starting on May 15th, 2016 and have kept it off.

Super fit -- not unless you go through basic training in the Army or Marines.

Take a two month hike on the Appalachian Trail, and you will do both. Many hikers are averaging 16 miles a day by then.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@adeleg16wrote:

This would require knowing how you got to the plateau in the first place. For instance, did you lose 50 pounds during the past 6 months, and now want to lose "the last 20 pounds"?

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have lost 100 lbs in 5 months, so 20 in two is very doable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jshaf, it very much depends on where a person is on their weight loss journey.

But many congratulations to you on your success!.  I see this is your first post.  Welcome to the Forums and I am surewe look forward to hearing your story and everything you have to contribute!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Julia_Gwrote:

@jshaf, it very much depends on where a person is on their weight loss journey.

But many congratulations to you on your success!.  I see this is your first post.  Welcome to the Forums and I am surewe look forward to hearing your story and everything you have to contribute!  

basically I fast intermittently, one meal a day that is ketogenic(High fat,low carb)  roughly 2000 calories less than 20 carbs.  walk a ton, at least 10K a day, sometimes I hit 20-30 K if I am really feeling it.  do 48 and 72 hours fast ever so often.  that is pretty much it, have lost 110 lbs thus far and about two weeks from the 6 month point of my journey.  want to get to 150 lbs lost and then set sights on 200 🙂   Started my journey at 450+ lbs, couldn't walk up a flight of stairs with out getting winded, now I can fly up and down them with ease, can walk for over an hour + with ease versus the 15 minutes when I started

Best Answer

@adeleg16 I was looking at your profile and it says you are a runner who tries but fails to eat healthy. maybe sticking to high nutrition lower calorie foods will help you lose the weight you are wanting to lose. But.. seeing as how you already lost so much, maybe improving your overall "look" is the next item on your agenda. stay at the weight you are, truly clean up your eating habits and work on improving your strength which will improve your overall appearance. I for one would rather see a person who is "tight" and strong over thin and flabby- especially in the summer..whatever you decide to do, high five to you on your accomplishment so far and much success in your continued journey..

@Dominique we have the same view.. we are in the midst of the third nor'easter- 12 inches of snow today- I am not pleased.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

also wanted to add that at one point I lost 28 lbs one month, then followed it with a 25 lb month, of course I was 450 lbs when I started my weight loss journey and the two months I mention happened around the 3-4th months of the diet so I had a lot of body fat to shed.

Best Answer
0 Votes