Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the FitBit One a good starter for a female new to structured exercise?

ANSWERED

Does anyone here have any experience with the FitBit One? I ask because my wife has been told by the doctor that she needs to exercise more, reduce cholesterol, and reduce weight, and she knows I get some benefit from my FitBit (Charge HR). The  difference is that she has not taken part in sports or routine structured exercise for some time (aside from walking day to day and on holidays).

She doesn't want anything on her wrist so it kind of limits the possibilities somewhat. I look at the images of the FitBit One and it looks like it should fall off if vigorous exercise was achieved? To be honest I think my wife will only walk anyway in the first instance, as she has hip joint problems (too much exercise makes it hurt - an old injury from childhood), back problems, and asthma.

Ladies (or gentlemen), do any of you recommend the FitBit One? I assume its just the same technology as my Charge HR but smaller and cheaper (and clip-on not wrist-banded).

You views based on your direct experiences of FitBit One would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I love my one. I think its the most accurate. I will always use a one even though I have others.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

The One is a good tracker. I started with it some 3.5 years ago (at which time it was the most advanced Fitbit), after which I’ve been using a Charge HR, a Surge and a Blaze. I’m not a woman, though I don’t think it makes much of a difference (except I know some women clip their One on their bras, which we guys cannot do).

Here are some pros and cons, compared to wrist-mounted models:

Pros:

- Very long battery life

- Small, unconspicuous

- Less expensive

Cons:

- Easy to forget to wear it (especially in the beginning)

- Wearing it at night and sleep tracking is cumbersome

- Easy to lose

- Prone to ending up in the laundry

- Display hard to read in bright day light

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@CobaltStargazer I completely agree with everything that @Dominique said.  I'm adding my opinion as a woman who used a One for almost three years.  I think it is a great starter tracker.

I wore my One in the center of my bra facing out (like the picture shows).  When I didn't want the tracker to be as obvious under my clothes, I did wear it facing in (contrary to Fitbit instructions) and never got a rash.  I preferred this to any pocket or belt loop placement, because I didn't want it to take an unplanned trip in the laundry or toilet.

I agree that the wristband can make sleep tracking awkward, but I stopped doing that because it didn't give any more information that what I already knew.

From a "structure exercise" perspective, water based exercises like water walking and mild water aerobics are great for hip and back problems -- keep in mind that the One is not waterproof and should not be worn in the pool.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I love my one. I think its the most accurate. I will always use a one even though I have others.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

@CobaltStargazer wrote:

Ladies (or gentlemen), do any of you recommend the FitBit One? I assume its just the same technology as my Charge HR but smaller and cheaper (and clip-on not wrist-banded).

The FitBit One is a wonderful tracker (But it doesn't have the heart rate like your Charge HR). 

If she is saying she doesn't want a tracker on her wrist, is she really just passively trying to avoid fitness trackers? The Zip has very little maintenance (4 to 6 months of battery life) so it's the easiest for someone whose adoption of a fitness tracker may be questionable. Also the Zip is less expensive, $45 now at Walmart.com. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the charge HR and my husband has the zip. He doesn't care about calories, or sleep or fitness output- truthfully I don't think he cares that much about steps except for the days he gets more than me. I care about all of it. I honestly think if your wife isn't going to do more than walk start cheap to Marcy's point and see if she catches the bug. You also pointed out an important point about diet. All the walking in the world won't improve her numbers without good nutrition. I am not an advocate of husbands being insensitive to feelings, but she may need to hear it from you to really understand what she is doing to herself. I am pretty sure she takes better care of your home and her car then she does herself... maybe start there. She doesn't windex wood and she doesn't pour drain cleaner in her gas tank. Yet, she kind of does that to herself with poor food choices..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

We now have the FitBit One.Thanks everybody.

Best Answer

Hope you love it!

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes