Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just started Keto

Are there any good apps for adding carbs for Keto? I just realized I ate 48 carbs today. Should have only had 20. I didn't realize there were carbs in carrots and broccoli.

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Your fitbit app will keep track of your macros if you are tracking.  Here is a key to getting macros right.  70% fat, these are good fats, so if you go over board with bad fats it won't help and it will make you sick at some point.  So think lean meats about 4 oz, eggs, avocados, use olive oil and coconut oil to cook in and track how many tsp you use to cook in.  Your carbs should really consist of mostly green veggies, cauliflower, try and limit tomatoes for a bit, they have higher sugar and lectins.  :Picture a plate, half the plate is veggies, 1/4 is meats, and 1/4 is other carbs like sweet potatoes, occasional potatoe, or rice. However if you are trying to get into keto the substitute that for something like a hard boiled egg, or cottage cheese.  Once you're in keto then you can add some of the carbs back in.  I hope this helps... It was much easier for me taking coconut oil in pill form I was not a fan of keto coffee either.  

Best Answer
Thanks for the thorough reply. I am using the fitbit app and tracking my
carbs. I'll have to examine it further to see the percentages. Good fats
like in Olive oil and avocados are doable. Yes its kind of counterintuitive
to think that I have to eat enough fat. After counting my carbs today I had
50 carbs without realizing they were in raw carrots and brocoli. Shish.
Thanks again..Must ask you about Keto coffee. I am fussy about coffee so I
am not sure what it is. I treated myself today with a Starbucks Venti Latte
and whipped cream.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Goldy23It is best to stay away from starch and root vegetables if you are doing Keto. Do your Macros and eat healthy fats and the low carb veggies and watch the amount of protein as well. It is a good idea to track every thing you eat and I use an app called stupid simple keto to track on my phone. Look online and find a list of foods for keto and use that to shop with.I also count calories because the same rule applies that you must expend more than you take in in order to lose weight. It may seem like a lot of work in the beginning but after a week or so it's very simple . I weigh everything and have never gone into ketosis according to the urine strips but I have lost 8 lbs after allowing 4 weeks for my body to adjust to this way of eating, so that's starting to be a little over a lb a week now. I have 20 more lbs to go.

Best Answer

@Goldy23 I am not a keto person... but I can tell you that no matter what "diet" you are on, Starbucks is never a good idea. it is loaded with carbs, fat, sugar, calories.. all things you want to stay away from just from a healthy lifestyle perspective...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Welcome @SheriOnTheGo - Lot of yummy keto coffee recipes at https://blog.bulletproof.com/category/recipes/ - you can substitute generic MCT Oil for the "Brain Octane" proprietary blend called for in the recipes.

Lots of helpful Keto support at https://www.ketogenicforums.com including more recipes.

Here's the recipe I use:

12 oz hot coffee

1 Tbsp grass-fed ghee

1 Tbsp MCT Oil

1 Tbsp Cacao powder unsweetened

1 Tbsp Inulin powder

These quantities are a bit heavy - often, I will go with little less of the fats.  Pour 2 oz coffee into a mug, mix in the ingredients until dissolved, mix in the remaining coffee.

Best Answer

If you haven't found an App to your liking yet I personally love the app CarbManager its super awesome and designed specifically for Keto/low carb users. Best of luck!

Best Answer

When you look at whatever app you use, make sure you look at "net" carbs. So the total grams of carbs for the day minus total grams of fiber. I bet that'll show that you're more on track than you thought you were!

I disagree with a previous poster that Starbucks is a bad idea. Not necessarily, you just need to know what to get. A latte is not a good choice due to the natural sugars in the 2%milk.

Stick to americanos, brewed coffee, iced coffee (no classic syrup that is added by default), cold brew, and basic brewed teas (no refreshers or lemonade). The above can be had with the sugar free syrups (vanilla and cinnamon) and a bit of heavy cream or half & half.

Keto does not work well with "treats". Jump in and find things you enjoy that are keto and track those carbs. 

Best Answer

Try Lose It! App.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Were you able to link to fitbit?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found the app Carb Manager to be extremely helpful. And it connects to fit bit. Carrots are high in starch as well, best to avoid them.

Best Answer