Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering if there are any older women trying the Fitbit, I am 70 and just started.

Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.
Best Answer
1,087 REPLIES 1,087
No problem! You will get back on track. Remember, your body took a beating with being sick. Your immune system suffered & your energy level was drained. It is just a matter of building them up again. Set a more attainable goal for yourself & gradually increase it as you are able to. You have to build that strength up again.
It will happen & you will do it.
Good luck!
Best Answer
Everyone can use a friend. The more support each of us has, the more successful each of us are & the sooner we all reach our goals.
This is a great support group. Very encouraging.
Isn't it strange that we wait till we reach this age & we finally recognize what we have to do for ourselves? This is our focus time. Enjoy your path to good health & happiness. Good luck!
Best Answer
Hi.....hope you are having a great day.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Right back atcha!
Best Answer
@Gloryb, thanks for the bath tips! I use Epsom salts, but I always put them in with the running water. Will use your method from now on. 🙂
Best Answer
So glad to find this group been using fit bit since Sept love it have a bad back but love watching the steps add up starting to do yoga this week does anyone have an opinion on5yoga
Best Answer

I'm right there with you at 68! I have a personal trainer I see on a weekly basis at my fitness center and taking a Barre Sculpting class there, as well.  I have lots of support, but not a lot of time as I still own my own business. Weight is coming off, but slower than I had expected. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm 73 and I love it got an early Christmas present Dec 9 decided to open it and use it.  Lost 30 lbs so far just keeping track of what you eat and activities. I walk at the mall 3 times a week and do stairs there just keep increasing the amount as I can. It will do wonders for you and how you feel . Drs are very proud of me blood pressure is down along with the weight. Not having the breathing problems I use to have. So go for it .... 

Best Answer
  Keep up the good work.  You are doing wonderful. 
Best Answer
You have made a Great Start. Keep it up. Like they say, we didn't put it
on in a day--and it definitely takes much longer to take it up.
We're all pulling for you.
B1206
Best Answer

Hi. I just turned 64, and on January 1, 2017 I started swimming daily. I have missed only three days of swimming so far, and increased the amount I swim from 90 minutes daily to about 3 hours most days. I am also doing Weight Watchers, and I have lost 38 lbs so far. That's exactly 25% of what I need to lose. I love swimming because it is truly painless. I have a lot of trouble with my feet, which is part of the reason I have gained so much weight. In addition, I am arthritic in nearly every joint in my body, including my fingers. The pool is the one place I can go to move freely and without a bit of discomfort. Currently I swim in an outdoor heated pool in Florida. Soon I will be going back up North, and I will join the local Y so that I can continue. I have not felt so good in years. My biggest problem is that I am dropping a size or more each month, and spending a small fortune on swimsuits!

Best Answer
Nina's:
I could have written your storyline. CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss & decision to love yourself. I am 67 & have lost 25 lbs & am working on the balance but set myself short goals of 2-3 lbs at a time. Rewards for short term goals come quicker & self-gratification is a positive 'high five'. Then I set the next goal. Take the baby steps & not the giant step. All those baby steps will add up. I have the same arthritic issues & have found that swimming really helps. I swim every day at Good Life for a very active hour. I have created my own program of moving, moving, moving. I love it! Truly miss it when a day goes by that I do not swim. I can now lift & play with my grandchildren with ease. Also, caffeine has been eliminated from my diet. I pretty much have given up all sorts of coffee & diet pops but do drink a lot of decaffeinated green tea. It is an anti-oxidant. Plus I take turmeric in capsules ~ high in anti-oxidants. Where I can include blueberries in my meals, I do. It all seems to help. At least 20gm of protein is part of every meal. One of my meal tricks is serve my meals/drinks on smaller fine plates & glassware. The plate gets filled but with much less food than a full size plate. When you eat & drink off of nice wares, you feel special & we are special. I find that moving keeps the joints lubricated. Sitting for long periods makes me feel like the Tin Man on the Wizard of Oz; so, there is little time for sitting. I have a very clean house for the amount of vacuuming & floor washing I do to keep moving. Baby, my Aussiedoodle, gets her exercise by walks & chasing balls. I am always moving.
For bathing suits, I purchased a nice outfit thro' "www.linkshe.com". You might want to check it out. What worked for me for some time is a 2 piece ~ full bottom with a strapless blousey tank top. It still fits me because it does not cling to my body. I will treat myself to a great suit, not expensive, once I reach my final goal. Might even buy more than one for sure because during the summer I live in my suits. I love the outdoors. Will be working in the yard & in my own pool.
You are doing great! Smile & enjoy your journey to a healthier you! Let me know how you progress.
Gloria
Best Answer
Thanks for responding! I have already made the switch to two piece suits. I
am losing inches fast enough that the pieces I bought in late February were
so loose I had to alter them so they would stay on. I will need new bottoms
soon. I can't risk swimming out of them. It's not a terrible problem to
face, however. My little poodle, Rocco, can't understand why I keep pacing
the house so much. The heat and sun in Florida are so strong I do a lot of
my steps indoors to stay in the AC. My husband and I are having great luck
with WW. The way points work, you have to focus on LEAN protein and veggies
if you want to feel full. I agree about the plates. I bought pretty
flamingo plates that are smaller than normal, and everything looks good on
them. The Fitbit really helps motivate me to move. I dance during TV
commercials in the evening. It has the side benefit of amusing my husband.
I feel much better about myself since I have been wearing my Fitbit. Got it
on February 22, as a belated Valentine's Day gift!
Best Answer
Yep, you could be my twin. LOL
Have had my fitbit for a while now. Upgraded to the alta (it was on sale) but bounce between my old fitbit & my alta depending on which is charged. Do not want to miss recording any of those precious steps. I giggled when you said you dance during commercials. I do the same. I find if I work it hard, I can almost get 500 steps in during those breaks. Just tells you how long those breaks are. Hubby should not be watching you, he should be dancing also. Up off the sofa, hubby.
If you stood outside my bedroom window just before midnight, you would see me doing my steps to meet my goals by the end of the day.
Nothing wrong with running new elastic in your suits. I have done that. Becomes a new suit. Would be really interesting if you slipped out of them in the pool. You would certainly encourage others to jump in. 🙂
Keep it up ~ you are doing great! Gloria
Best Answer

You're awesome.  Keep up the good work.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm right there with you. I'll be 65 this September. Fitbit and this forum have helped me to connect with others and know that I am not alone in my quest. I find the challenges motivating. Hang in there and keep on steppin'. You've got everything to gain. 😊

Sent from my iPhone
Mrs Packrat
Best Answer
MrsPackRat ~ there appears to be a number of us in the same boat. Encouragement & support certainly helps everyone obtain their goals.
Let's go Ladies! We can do it!
Gloria
Best Answer
So far, swimsuit 1 is so thin from stretching and taking it in that I now
wear it as an all-in-one under my dresses! It's too sheer to swim in it!
LOL. My separates are starting to stretch, but not to fade, so I may be
able to replace the waistband elastic. The tops are completely
reconstructed. My waist is down 6 inches, so I had to cut it apart and
reassemble. Hubby is in charge of early morning and late night dog walking,
so he gets about 20,000 steps in a day. We are just short of losing a total
of 90 lbs. since December! Aside from some grumbling about pasta portions,
he has been gung-ho about both our new diet and exercise efforts. The
Fitbit is a wonderful motivation tool. It helps me tremendously to have a
clear picture of my calorie burn each day. If I don't hit 3000 calories
burned by 5 pm, I start walking until my steps and calories are where I
want them. And, yes, sometimes I jog in my Jammies at 11:45 pm.
Best Answer
I'm 74 and I love my fit bit been using sinced Dec 2015 use it everyday I've lost over40 lbs now and my breathing problem almost all gone.my cardiologist and pulmonologist are both very happy with my results

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
WOW, Marjorie! That is wonderful! Congratulations! You must be feeling absolutely great! I am hoping in reaching my goal that I will be able to get off my diabetic medication. I know it can be done.
Again, WTG!
Best Answer