Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering if there are any older women trying the Fitbit, I am 70 and just started.

Looking to see if anyone else my age is trying the fitbit to lose weight, I am 70 but I do workout with a personal trainer and take Yoga.
Best Answer
1,087 REPLIES 1,087

Good for  you, Barb.   Keep up the good work.

Best Answer

I am 52 so also an "older" woman. Wow for you yoga and all of the rest! 

Best Answer
Fitbit has been a great motivator for me. Thats why I was in a panic last night when I realized that my 3 year old Flex had inadvertently been tossed into the washing machine. By that time it had already gone through the spin cycle. Amazingly, that little dude is still working perfectly. I love Fitbit.
Mrs Packrat
Best Answer

It has been almost a week now that I have owned my fitbit - but very disappointed that it does not count my steps when pushing a grocery cart, or my walker.   Has anyone found a solution?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm 68 and trying to lose 30 pounds or so. To date, I have lost 11 pounds - a drop in the bucket, but a DROP nonetheless. In 2002 I lost 50 lbs. while following Weight Watchers. A little over a year later, I had gained about half of it back, got serious again and lost *that* plus 10 more. Now, here I am again needing to lose 30 or so (*so* would be better!). I'm not very active (I try to get in 5,000 steps a day), but I do walk 30 min. most days and I weigh my food in order to get "just" a serving. I rely on Fitbit to record my steps and sleep (my goal is 7 hrs. per night, but I seldom get it. I'm a classic insomniac!) I use My Fitness Pal to record my food and water intake. I subscribe to the theory that whatever you do to lose weight, you have to continue in order to keep the weight off. So I'm trying to establish an eating and exercising plan for life.

Best Answer
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I put mine on my ankle under my socks....you're sure to count every step !

Good luck

Best Answer
Hi! I think you're fantastic. I too lost some weight (about the same you
did) a year ago and put half back on. Am now trying hard to do 10,000
steps a day and have cut out snacks - though not actually on a diet as
such. I've lost a couple of pounds but seem to have reached a plateau.
Anyway, I agree that success depends on setting a goal for each day and
sticking to it. I'm still working part time and manage between 6 & 7
hours' sleep a night. From tomorrow I'm going to keep better track of what
I eat, using Fitbit. So let's keep in touch. Good luck!
Best Answer
That's a great idea! I should have kept my large bracelets instead of trading them for the smaller ones for my wrist. I found that steps do not get counted when pushing a grocery cart or stroller. They would get counted if on your ankle. Thanks for sharing!
Best Answer

What a wonderful idea.  It's hard to push a grocery cart with one hand so if it's on your ankle this would certainly solve the problem.  ( Just make sure it's secure.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Mimi!! When I'm shopping or pushing the grandbabies' stroller, I put my fitbit in my pocket or attach it to the belt loop. Hope this helps.

Best Answer
This past week has been a doozie for me. In the chaos of being burglarized, getting sick, setting up, working, and tearing down a craft fair booth, and hubby ending up in the hospital with a badly infected diabetic foot ulcer, I have packed on 5 lbs. 🙁 Tracking with Fitbit certainly helps. We’re going to have to hang tight here and keep on steppin’ right through the holidays to avoid weight gains like I’ve experienced this past week. I’m getting back on track now and I appreciate the encouragement I get from you folks right here. Hope you all have a wonderful week!

Sent from my iPhone
Mrs Packrat
Best Answer

You sure have been through a lot but walking does help with reducing stress, etc.  Keep it up  and good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes
WOW! You have had quite a time! But remember, you are #1. You have to take care of yourself - healthy & happy no matter what the hurdles - to be able to deal with life's challenges & take care of others. Stay positive! Stay strong! Keep moving! Women for whatever reason seem to draw on that special sense that allows us to deal with whatever is thrown at us before we realize what is happening. Those few pounds that you gained, I call, are padding in case you fall. But you will not fall so do not need the padding. Just ask yourself, 'do I need this if I fall?' NO! I am strong, happy & positive & then step on. You can do it! You have lots of support here. If you need us, we are here. I will be sending your extra positive energies to get you moving. Smile & move on! Let's do it!
🤗
Best Answer

Way to go.  I'm with you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I started reading the posts of this group as I was looking for a group for older people to join. Or as some of us say, " we aren't getting older, we are getting younger".

After reading the posts this group is perfect.  ALL of you are an INSPIRATION to anyone who reads the posts.  The support, positivity, encouragement, sympathy and advice that all of you give to each other is just so wonderful.  Sooo I'm in.

I'm 57 and needing to lose about 20-25lbs.  Need to get the cholesterol and glucose down. But walking and counting calories just isn't quite working this round.  Dr's appointment Thursday so will see if diabetes or thyroid has raised its ugly head as it runs in my family  Have had my fitbit for 2 years now and love it.  Really helps me stay on target most times. 

Sometimes  just to read someone else's post gives you that little bit of umph you needed to go on.  And this group definitely does that. Plus all the advice you give each other is great.  Not sure if there is anything I need to do with this group as far as posting anything.  I am with the group Halloween to Christmas Holiday Challenge were we post our weight and how we are doing and what works and doesn't.  Great group of people as well. 

Everyone have a wonderful day and a great week.   

Best Answer

Just getting back into this exercise thing. I got myself a 29 year old hottie to train me once a week at the gym. (My son is older than he is). He has put me on a schedule for the rest of the week and I decided to dust off the fit bit and try again. Has been such a horribly busy year that I just put myself aside. So.....now here I am again. Looking forward to meeting you and being supportive. Have a great weekend.

Best Answer

hi. I'm 59 yrs old, and I have been a diabetic for over 20 years. I am insulin dependent type 2. I have been on oral medications for many years and just within the last two years I have become insulin dependent also.

I've been through depression several times, weight loss and weight gain; I was having ridiculous sugars because of my attitude toward it all. 

I bought an inexpensive morefit and I like it....eventually I lost it so I went the next day and bought the Fitbit.  LOVE it! I believe it is saving my life.  Since I bought it in Oct I have lost14 lbs, I feel better, I sleep better and I am motivated to keep going.....so there you have it. It's never too late to make positive change.

Best Answer

HI. Good for you taking responsibility for your health. I think that is a key part of this.  I couldn't do any of it unless I changed my whole attitude.

Best Answer

Amen. Good for you.  I think it's very hard to get started again after an injury.  I'll be cheering for you and watching your progress.

Best Answer