Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lean v.s. Fat graphic not showing up

Hi all,

My partner and I both bought Flex wristbands in March and happy to say we have now both lost over 40 pounds each.  Here's my problem:  In the log page under the Weight tab, his shows a graph of his Lean v.s. Fat relationship (ratio?) and when I select that tab, I get nothing ... just a blank square.  The other tabs work for me perfectly showing graphs for Weight, BMI and Body Measurements .. but the Lean v.s. Fat is a blank.  I sync often and shut down my laptop nightly .. so the system is rebooting all the time, however I'm hesitant to delete my original software download and re-load the software because I'm fairly sure that will lose all my data so far and having that graph isn't worth doing that. 

So .. anybody familiar with the problem?  Know how to fix it?

Thanks

JPP

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

Do you have a Fitbit Aria (or another compatible scale, that will attempt to evaluate your body fat %)? If not, you will need to determine your body fat % in some way and log it manually in your Fitbit account. Fitbit trackers only track steps: Fitbit can derive calories burn from that (together with your age, gender, weight and height), but not your body fat.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hm.  Ok, but I do get a BMI reading associated with weight and body measurement .. and my partners Flex is reading that and giving a graph for Lean v.s. Fat under that tab .. mine is not, so obviously the Flex CAN generate data for it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

BMI is only a ratio that involves weight and height: it can be calculated even if you have no tracker. However, I fail to see how your partner could get body fat and lean mass values without an Aria scale (or similar), or without manually logging body fat %. In my case, the Lean vs. Fat graphs takes its values from my Aria scale.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, we don't have an Aria or smart scale of any kind.  I asked him if he had input any data of his own in the body mass or body fat% input screens and he said no, so it's a mystery.  I suspect even though both our fitbits arrived in the same package and we both downloaded the software on the same morning, that somehow I have either a defective download or an earlier one.  Anyway .. I'll try your suggestion, figure out my body fat % manually and input the data into my log and see what happens.  Thanks for responding, appreciate the help.

JP

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok ... he was lying like a rug (or he's just senile ...:)  I just calculated my body fat %, plugged that number into the log and the graph appeared immediately.  I have to say, understanding what it is, it's just another bit of info that really has to be looked at as a guide along with all the other indicators .. weight, measurements .. etc.  At the end of the day, what I know is ... my weight on Jan 1 was 209 (!) and today I weigh 163.5.  All we've done since March 10th is cut out all processed sugar (well, almost all ..), started controlling the portion size of our meals by using Fitbit to calculate a reasonable daily intake and we walk every morning for an hour.  I'm 61 and he's 72 btw and although our diet was pretty decent (no fast food or processed meals) we still eat a decadent desert each evening, it's just half the size we used to eat .. that's our treat.  Oh .. and once a week, we go out to lunch and split something we both love, but can't allow except occasionally .. like a burger and fries, or Banana Pancakes.  The way we figure it, if our regimen is too hard, we won't maintain it when we reach our goals, so it's about management for us.  Just bought some raingear for walking in bad weather ... anticipating ANY excuse and nailing it before Winter 😛

Best Answer

I'll comment there are some other apps that get synced with Fitbit, he may have linked them at some point.

That other app or site or account may have a BF%, decent estimate or not who knows since no idea where it came from, but it could still be syncing in.

Just like weight can sync in from other sites to update Fitbit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@JPP wrote:

I just calculated my body fat %

You can't really "calculate" your body fat, and whatever method you used to do it won't be terribly useful in order to let you see a trend over time (if/when you start losing weight). Even the method used by the Fitbit Aria (BIA, for bioelectrical impedance analysis) isn't very accurate in absolute terms, but the scale is very easy to use, and if used properly it will return consistent values that will let you see a trend over time. At least this is my experience after 14 months of using it. The scale is expensive, but since you are two Fitbit users in the same household, you can split the cost.

Following lean mass vs. body fat during a weight loss program is especially important for older folks, as it's much harder for them to regain lost muscle mass. Using your Fitbit to move more – and, consequently, burn more calories than you eat – will be useful, but it would be a good idea to do strength training as well, in order to minimize lean mass loss during your weight loss.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, I get that .. I can tell you that body fat for me now in my 60's is a completely different commodity than when I was in my 40's and 50's.  Seems like we both lost fat/weight that we couldn't really 'see' in the mirror .. probably about 25lbs worth .. before being able to see any appreciable loss on the outside.  Fat around organs .. and I'm sure it gets worse as you age and slow down.  Anyway, the trends are what matters for us now .. as long as we continue progressing toward our goal weights' ... for now, that's enough.  I used to run 30miles/week and in the Gym one day on, one day off .. those days are over for me, it's not a regimen or look I desire.  I envision both of us finding some classes for core strength and flexibility in the future, but it will have to be easy and convenient or it won't last ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just curious: how were you able to establish you lost internal fat (which, by definition, is not visible) if you haven't had it determined by any reliable way (eg. via a DEXA scan)? People can indeed have fat both superficially (below their skin) and internally (around their organs). However, I very much doubt you can selectively reduce only one type of fat (the internal one) without the other being affected, just like you cannot "spot reduce" superficial fat either.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think the word 'establish' is a bit conclusive for a visual observation.  The comment was more of an educated speculation based on what we saw in the mirror.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Dominque. My  name is Linda. I just bought an aria scale and the weight is coming through on my dashboard, yet, like this other woman that you responded to... there is nothing under the lean body vrs fat tab? How do i get these numbers?

I hope you can help 🙂 Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm in the same boat as Idoan. I just setup the Aria scale and everything came through to my dashboard except the Lean vs Fat graph...it states that there has been no weight logged.
Best Answer
0 Votes