Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for friends to get healthier with that have similar challenges - older with sedentary job

Hi Everyone!   My name is Donna, I'll be 60 on my next birthday and work in Accounting.    I'd like to find friends to get healthier with and that share the similar challenges of aging and working a sedentary job.   

I've used Fitbit off and on for years, have never reached out to the community tho.   The science is there, log in the food and overlay it against activity and I should see a difference.   I believe that it's a great tool, just ready and waiting for us to use it!   The big obstacle is sticking with it, learning to keep going even when I'm not seeing results as fast as I'd like.

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

I'm kinda in your boat!  I'll be 50 next year and work mostly sedentary as well (in IT support).  I've had success in the past - lost 70 lbs in 2013/14, then gained it back because of, well, life.  I can do it!  I've done it before. My problem(like you) is sticking with it. I start out gungho, then slip back into poor habits!

I also find that I need accountability and motivation!  

Best of luck to you with your journey!  We can do this!!

Best Answer

Hi geauxgirl74!   I can relate, have lost and gained the same 50 lbs a couple times over, hit a long term plateau, get frustrated, give up, fester for a while and then try again.

I'm trying to understand the psychology behind this behavior rather than thinking I've failed or that I wasn't disciplined enough.  I'm reading "The Diet Survivor's Handbook" right now hoping to gain some useful information from it.

Best Answer

Same!  I've started and stopped so many times!  I'll have to look for that book!  

Best Answer

Your determination to get healthier and overcome the challenges of aging and a sedentary job is inspiring. Using tools like Fitbit can indeed make a significant difference. Remember, progress takes time, and your commitment will surely lead to positive results patriotic. Let's embark on this journey together and support each other along the way!

Best Answer

I started gaining weight about 8 years ago but was still in a good zone.  Then I had a terrible injury that sidelined me completely-- I just took off my fitbit because I was non-weight bearing on one leg for 3 months and then was in PT after that.  But I'm back, and trying to set reasonable exercise goals.  A new position at work has left me more sedentary, and I'd love some friends to keep me accountable.  

Best Answer

Hi! I’m a little older than you and retired. My hobbies are sedentary. I have struggled with overweight problems from my entire life and have been on Weight Watchers several times over the years but I have always gained weight back. I was following Noom for the last year but didn’t like the changes they made to their program so I didn’t renew. I do need some accountability partners and support. I am considering going back to WW but am going to try on my own for a while. I did lose 50 pounds over the last year and I have about 25 more to go. I would like this to be my everlasting weight loss journey and not gain back ever again. I am committed to logging my food and tracking my activity on my Fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Donna!  I'm 59 and am looking for friends like you - looking to get healthier, challenges of being sedentary and aging.  I've never had a fitbit friend, but would like to try for motivation.  I've been a fitbit user for about a year.  Don't know how to actually friend you.  Want friends or belong to a friend group that watches weight as well as exercise.  Maybe you could friend me?  Thanks!

Best Answer