Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing weight

I'm new to the Fitbit and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to eat to lose weight for example.. my calorie intake and outtake? How do I know how many calories to burn?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi

Feel free to check out the Fitbit Article:

How do I track my food with Fitbit?

Learn everything you need to know about food plans.

There's a setting on the food log page (computer / fitbit.com / account) which can be changed to increase the accuracy.

Change setting on Food Log Page

On the Food Log page, standard a setting is used to base the calories allowed on personal history, when being more or less active the calories can increase or decrease alot.

Change to sedentary when desired to increase the accuracy, when being more active, the calories to eat will increase.

estimate.jpg

If not having a fitbit tracker, consider getting one, as the tracker tracks your activity, calories burned from activities, and updates the fitbit account with the actual calories tracked when sync'ing to the account.

Read the Fitbit Help Article (click / tap to open the page) for more information. 

A Fitbit Aria Scale is also Splendiferous as it sync's your weight / body fat % to the account when sync'ing.

Keeping the weight most accurate is important, as when weighing less and less.. the precious body needs less calories than previously to stay at the new weight. Weighing at least once a week can increase the chance of getting to your goals faster as the calories burned as based on your current (previously known) weight.

URL: How do I set up my Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Krisbeckham wrote:

I'm new to the Fitbit and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to eat to lose weight for example.. my calorie intake and outtake? How do I know how many calories to burn?

Hi Kris.

First find out how many calories you burn currently by wearing your Fitbit for a couple of days. By midnight, you should have an idea of how many calories you've burned doing whatever exercise you've done that day (or not done). Let's say this number is 2000.

From there, you can decide if you want to do a 250 calorie deficit (0.5 lbs/week) by eating 1750 calories, a 500 calorie deficit (1 lb/week) by eating 1500 calories, a 750 calorie deficit (1.5 lbs/week) by eating 1250 calories or a 1000 calorie deficit (2 lbs/week) by eating a mere 1000 calories.

Best Answer
Okay! Thank you so much

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

The approach described by @justMonica is very good. You do need to understand calories burned reported by your Fitbit are an estimate. If – based on that estimate and the intake you’ve logged – you think you have a 750 deficit, but are only losing 0.5 lb per week, then your real deficit is 250. In other words, your Fitbit overestimated calories burned by 500. Or it overestimated them by 250 and you understimated your intake by 250 (it’s not uncommon to underestimate the amount of food you’re eating, even if you’re logging it very carefully). Before you can reach such conclusions, you need to wait for long enough (e.g. 3-4 weeks), as real changes in your weight can be hidden by daily fluctuations related to water weight.

Increasing your exercise allows you to eat more food for the same deficit. For instance, if you burn 2000 calories as in @justMonica’s example and want to go for a 1000 deficit, you’ll only be able to eat 1000, which is very little. If, OTOH, you’re able to increase your exercise so as to burn 2500, you’d be able to eat 1500 while having the same deficit. That level would likely be more sustainable, though undereating always sucks.    

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes