Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing at maintinence

I am new to fitbit as of March.  I set up a weight loss plan with negative 250 a day calories.  I followed it for 2 months and should have lost 4lbs but lost 10lbs.  Then switched to Maintinence and still losing weight.  My food intake is monitored 100% using scale.

Fitbit is not working correctly.  For $300 I expect more.  

Is there anything I am missing that would give more accurate results or is fitbit unreliable at best?

Best Answer
0 Votes
14 REPLIES 14

Moved your post to the weight management forum where you will get better answers.

Fitbit Device has nothing to do with your weight loss.

If you are taking about the food logging. You need to increase your calories a little bit until you quit losing.

This part takes some time to figure out. But I would increase a small amount a week until you quit losing

Sure others will be by to help

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@GaryDeMoss,

I'm not sure if you are trying to lose or maintain the same weight. I've found maintenance is difficult at the numbers get weird. 

Anyway, no calorie counting device is going to be accurate. Usually, the Fitbits are off by a constant percentage. For instance, my Zip undercounts my calories by about 10-15%. The Surge overcounts by the same amount. The Charge2 is accurate except when it isn't. Just adjust the deficit until it works for you.

If you are trying to maintain, I suggest trying to skip the calorie counting and eat whenever you feel you can without stuffing yourself if the scale shows you are below weight. Wait until you are hungry if the scale shows you overweight. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GaryDeMoss wrote:

I set up a weight loss plan with negative 250 a day calories.  I followed it for 2 months and should have lost 4lbs but lost 10lbs.

So you’re basically saying that your calculated deficit was 250 calories per day, but your actual deficit was 625 calories. This means if your average energy expenditure (as estimated by your Fitbit) was 2500 calories (I just made up that number), your actual expenditure was 3125 calories, i.e. 25% higher. Now that you know that your Fitbit underestimates your energy expenditure, and by how much, you can use that info to your advantage: if your plan is to maintain, just eat 25% above what Fitbit says you’re expending. All this is of course assuming you’re estimating your intake with 100% accuracy.

Usually people tend to complain about the opposite behaviour: their Fitbit overestimates their expenditure, which is why they are not losing weight in spite of having a large (calculated) deficit. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

Moved your post to the weight management forum where you will get better answers.

Fitbit Device has nothing to do with your weight loss.

If you are taking about the food logging. You need to increase your calories a little bit until you quit losing.

This part takes some time to figure out. But I would increase a small amount a week until you quit losing

Sure others will be by to help

Thank you for moving it to the proper place!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

@GaryDeMoss,

I'm not sure if you are trying to lose or maintain the same weight. I've found maintenance is difficult at the numbers get weird. 

Anyway, no calorie counting device is going to be accurate. Usually, the Fitbits are off by a constant percentage. For instance, my Zip undercounts my calories by about 10-15%. The Surge overcounts by the same amount. The Charge2 is accurate except when it isn't. Just adjust the deficit until it works for you.

If you are trying to maintain, I suggest trying to skip the calorie counting and eat whenever you feel you can without stuffing yourself if the scale shows you are below weight. Wait until you are hungry if the scale shows you overweight. 

Thank you for your response.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique wrote:

@GaryDeMoss wrote:

I set up a weight loss plan with negative 250 a day calories.  I followed it for 2 months and should have lost 4lbs but lost 10lbs.

So you’re basically saying that your calculated deficit was 250 calories per day, but your actual deficit was 625 calories. This means if your average energy expenditure (as estimated by your Fitbit) was 2500 calories (I just made up that number), your actual expenditure was 3125 calories, i.e. 25% higher. Now that you know that your Fitbit underestimates your energy expenditure, and by how much, you can use that info to your advantage: if your plan is to maintain, just eat 25% above what Fitbit says you’re expending. All this is of course assuming you’re estimating your intake with 100% accuracy.

Usually people tend to complain about the opposite behaviour: their Fitbit overestimates their expenditure, which is why they are not losing weight in spite of having a large (calculated) deficit. 

Thank you for taking time to respond Dominique!  

It appears that this is what I will have to do.  I suppose future technology will be more accurate.  I don't want to do this because it means I have to train myself to adjust for the limitations of the device when I would rather Fitbit add an "offset" that can be adjusted by the enduser to offset by a percentage in either direction as a manual calibration for the device to fit the end user.

I have a history of trying to change conditions to meet my expectations though (lol).  Once again I need to adjust my expectations to meet reality instead.  

So, if my goal is maintain at 175 but have lost to 173 should I put in 175 as my maintenance goal then add the % offset of calories over Fitbit estimation until I reach and maintain 175 then?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GaryDeMoss I experienced the same thing. Simply, trying to maintain I kept losing weight relying on Fitbit estimates. However, it's not really a tracker issue. The tracker uses mathematical formulas to estimate your energy expenditure and it's just a tool in your hands. You need to figure out what's the best way of using the data you're getting and learn to interpret it for your individual case. This is how it works. It would be so simple if we worked like robots - everyone following same patterns, rules, design 😄 Unfortunately, this is not the case 🙂 In my case Fitbit also underestimates calories burnt. The reason ( probably ) is a huge inaccuracy in the HR readings in my case. It took me a few of weeks after I reached my weight goal to figure out how to interpret the data and stick with the weight I desired. After few adjustments, I managed to stick with the same weight for few weeks. Now again - trying to build some muscles is also a challenge in terms of interpreting the incoming data in connection with slightly changed diet, exercise regime etc. Fitbit is a great tool but only if we understand what it actually does. When you use a hammer to punch a nail part of the job is you figuring out how much power and aim you need to use 😉

Best Answer

"I need to adjust my expectations to meet reality instead."

A whole lot of wisdom in that statement.  I try to take that advice but slip from time to time.

My attitude about Fitbit is it is a physical measurement device subject to inaccuracies and limitations.  @SunsetRunner 's point is spot on -- we're all individuals with differences and there is no way a consumer device like Fitbit can be expected to accurately account for all those differences.  It's a great tool, but just that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@GaryDeMoss I experienced the same thing. Simply, trying to maintain I kept losing weight relying on Fitbit estimates. However, it's not really a tracker issue. The tracker uses mathematical formulas to estimate your energy expenditure and it's just a tool in your hands. You need to figure out what's the best way of using the data you're getting and learn to interpret it for your individual case. This is how it works. It would be so simple if we worked like robots - everyone following same patterns, rules, design 😄 Unfortunately, this is not the case 🙂 In my case Fitbit also underestimates calories burnt. The reason ( probably ) is a huge inaccuracy in the HR readings in my case. It took me a few of weeks after I reached my weight goal to figure out how to interpret the data and stick with the weight I desired. After few adjustments, I managed to stick with the same weight for few weeks. Now again - trying to build some muscles is also a challenge in terms of interpreting the incoming data in connection with slightly changed diet, exercise regime etc. Fitbit is a great tool but only if we understand what it actually does. When you use a hammer to punch a nail part of the job is you figuring out how much power and aim you need to use 😉

I am learning that the device is inaccurate at best.  However, I won't make excuses for the companies shortfall because their advertising that moved me to spend $300 on a tracker claimed accuracy.  There were never any caution about inaccuracy.  While I can fudge the numbers and come up with a plan that works, Inconsider Fitbit responsible for implimenting a solution that makes their device actually do what it was touted that it can do.  I believe they have what it takes and will eventually achieve that end but they failed to provide what their word said when they sold me the watch.  I look forward to a solution to the problem when they figure one out.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

The more I learn about the wide variability of metabolism (from person to person, and from day to day for an individual), the more I come to believe that it is not feasible for a wearable tracking device to provide any more than the grossest approximation of energy consumption (calories burned).  

Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Here wrote:

The more I learn about the wide variability of metabolism (from person to person, and from day to day for an individual), the more I come to believe that it is not feasible for a wearable tracking device to provide any more than the grossest approximation of energy consumption (calories burned).  

I can appreciate that you have come to believe that to be true through study.  I have yet to come to the same conclusion but my study may not be in depth enough at this time.  I would love to understand more about metabolism.  What studies would you point me to that show the metabolism from day to day for an individual?  I have not seen any yet.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @GaryDeMoss -- I wouldn't represent that I've come to my opinions on metabolic variability based on an in-depth review of academically rigorous studies; rather, I've been reading various books and articles directed at lay audiences.  Some of these reference academic studies.

• The Obesity Code by Jason Fung, MD describes how Calories Burned varies based on Calories Eaten.
  • The Art & Science of Low Carb Living by Phinney & Volek is directed towards medical professionals but accessible to the general public.  It speaks to the challenge of using exercise to drive weight loss, partly because of metabolic variability
  • The Minnesota Starvation Experiment is frequently referenced, including in both books, and speaks to the effect of diet on metabolism.

Once you go down the rabbit hole of variability of metabolism in the face of caloric restriction, exercise, age, current and historical weight, gender, health status, food composition, genetics, medications, etc.  you will discover a confusing range of conflicting opinions, assumptions, evidence, study results, etc.  Given there is no consensus or reliable mathematical models that have been demonstrated to accurately predict metabolic rate in the face of all these variables, I struggle to see how a consumer wearable device could possibly be expected to render accurate estimates. 

Looking at Fitbit's marketing, warranties, and specifications, I don't see that they've made any unrealistic promises as to accuracy.  I think they may say they are the most accurate wearable on the market, which ain't saying much.  Same as saying they are the least inaccurate device on the market.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Daves_Not_Here wrote:

Hi @GaryDeMoss -- I wouldn't represent that I've come to my opinions on metabolic variability based on an in-depth review of academically rigorous studies; rather, I've been reading various books and articles directed at lay audiences.  Some of these reference academic studies.

• The Obesity Code by Jason Fung, MD describes how Calories Burned varies based on Calories Eaten.
  • The Art & Science of Low Carb Living by Phinney & Volek is directed towards medical professionals but accessible to the general public.  It speaks to the challenge of using exercise to drive weight loss, partly because of metabolic variability
  • The Minnesota Starvation Experiment is frequently referenced, including in both books, and speaks to the effect of diet on metabolism.

Once you go down the rabbit hole of variability of metabolism in the face of caloric restriction, exercise, age, current and historical weight, gender, health status, food composition, genetics, medications, etc.  you will discover a confusing range of conflicting opinions, assumptions, evidence, study results, etc.  Given there is no consensus or reliable mathematical models that have been demonstrated to accurately predict metabolic rate in the face of all these variables, I struggle to see how a consumer wearable device could possibly be expected to render accurate estimates. 

Looking at Fitbit's marketing, warranties, and specifications, I don't see that they've made any unrealistic promises as to accuracy.  I think they may say they are the most accurate wearable on the market, which ain't saying much.  Same as saying they are the least inaccurate device on the market.

Thanks for the clarification and your opinion.  

Hopefully someone will be able to get an answer that is accurate as to why the device doesn't work properly and fix what I see as a wonderful device with great potential.  As for my question it is unresolved.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GaryDeMoss wrote:

@Daves_Not_Here wrote:

Thanks for the clarification and your opinion.  

Hopefully someone will be able to get an answer that is accurate as to why the device doesn't work properly and fix what I see as a wonderful device with great potential.  As for my question it is unresolved.

The device works properly. It can only estimate calories burned, and tracking calories in is problematic even with a food scale. I would ask, where you did form the expectation that the numbers would be exact? Every fitness tracker I've ever seen has this issue, so I'm not sure what answer would be satisfying for you.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer