Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memorial Day Challenge

Welcome to the next Challenge!

This one will start on April 18 and continue to Memorial Day (May 29th) 2017.   That gives us 6 weeks to work toward our next set of goals as we try to lose weight or maintain in a healthy way.

Everyone is welcome to join this terrific group. You can post once weekly or every day - whatever you like - to share your journey, give and get support, offer advice, get some tips.  We have celebrated each other's successes, and empathized with the setbacks.  I personally found, the more I respond to others, the easier it is for me to focus on my own journey in a positive way.  We have seen great progress in previous challenges, because we are in it together and focusing on being healthier and living better lives.

Some of the terms used to report our weight:

USW - ultimate starting weight - the heaviest weight when you began to lose

SW - starting weight for this challenge

CW - current weight for the day you report in

GW - goal weight for this challenge, for Halloween

UGW - ultimate goal weight that you intend to reach eventually

Some people also include their height, their age, their BMI.  

All  you need to do to join, is start posting, usually with some of the weight information.

I'm very excited about continuing with this wonderful group of people and meeting some new folks too.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
491 REPLIES 491

@_Lilac_  Memorial Day is May 30th so 10 more days to goal day! Yea as I need it as I'm still plateauing around 145-146 these days.  I think that the lower number of steps and eating a bit late at night are blocking my moving lower. 

Glad that you are making good progress in spite of your knee.  My left knee is a chronic issue due to torn cartilage in the meniscus.  Hope that your knee issue is fixable.  I lowered my daily step goals to 7500 steps on average to help it out. I think a stationary bike would be a good alternative to walking so much. 

Best,

Barbara G

Best Answer

@em.kz

Condolences on the loss of your grandpa. You are doing just fine and some days are hanging out with family days like the wake.  10 more days to MD so you are good.

Barbara G

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DJC_63

Hi Donna,

Do the stretches and icing for plantar fasciitis now to avoid it getting too aggravated. Can you do swimming or the rowing machine for cardio.  Is the stationary bike OK now?  Looks like you are going to make your goal in 10 days.

Take care,

Barbara g

Best Answer

@TT_is_me

Excellent change shown in the photos.  You are shining with confidence.  It is such a huge accomplishment.  Wow.  You are on your way to excellent health. 

Best,

Barbara G

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dancefoxtrot  Today is fitbit's annual Challenge Day or some other title. There is a banner at the top of the dashboard talking about it. I was invited by a few people to join the challenges set up. It's specifically just today. I figured out this week that Memorial Day is May 29, so I'm all set with that. Haha.

My scale is budging (downward). I increased my calories a bit and I'd returned to the pool, so I hope they are both the reason for the weight loss. It's been very difficult to reach my 10,000 steps today as my pain is really bad, but I've done it. Two walks with the dogs and another up to the pharmacy have got me my 10,000. I broke down and took a naproxen when I was limping and hobbling around. 

My thoughts keep going down a very dark path about my knee. Not the old 'arthritis, knee replacement' sort of path, but much darker. When we learned my husband had lung cancer they did more tests and found it had spread through his bones, spine, hips, skull, etc and they didn't even want him to walk for fear of breaking bones they were so deteriorated. My mind keeps thinking, "What if they've found something else besides what I really think it is??" I'm not the hypochondriac sort, but when you've experienced something so distressing before, it kinda pops into your head. Anyway, I'm going to rest these tired bones for the remainder of the evening and try not to worry about the doctor. I hope everyone made their goals today! 

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@_Lilac_- big hug your way.  Leave the dark thoughts in the back of your head.  You've started doing a lot of exercise while you're still carrying a lot of extra weight.  My knees and back bugged me a lot when I started losing weight.  In fact it was odd, I was about 50 or 60 pounds down and people kept saying that I must feel better, but I didn't.  My knees throbbed at night when I was trying to sleep.  It's gotten better, but you definitely need to get the knee looked at.  Oddly enough, even your feet and shoes can affect your knee.  Best of luck at the appointment.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@A_Lurker  Everything hurts. And I know that it's because I'm moving everything more. And yes, I'm still just under 300 lbs, so that's a LOT of weight to be hauling around for all my muscles and joints. I have more energy but it hurts!!  Imagine a man of 180 lb lugging around 120 lbs of whatever all day. It's exhausting. We just grow used to it, I guess. 

I thought I'd improve by not walking on the mall floors but it isn't happening. Oh well. We'll figure it out. I hope she sends me to a physio or something. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
As of 10:00 pm tonight they are still running test but are looking away from the heart for now. He just had a check up for that and his levels in his bld tonight don't indicate a heart attack but they are going to run one more set to be sure since his pain his requiring so much pain killer. It could be any thing from abdominal to a small blockage somewhere , to a pinched nerve. We are hopeful they can find out what it is so he can go ahead and get the surgery on his heart valve this month that is scheduled. As long as he is still with us I am ok.
Best Answer

Hi everyone! Here's my Friday weight: 

USW: 224.5 lbs (7/6/16)

CSW:  151.0 (04/18/17)  (Starting weight for this challenge)

CW: 151.0 (04/21/17)

CW: 148.0 (04/28/17) -3.0

CW: 149.0 (05/05/17) +1.0

CW: 149.5 (05/12/17) +0.5

CW: 149.5 (05/19/17) no change

Goal Range:   148.0 - 152.0

No change this week which is a good thing. Maybe I'm finally getting on track with the maintenance program.

After last week's horrible events we have some wonderful news....our granddaughter was born 4 hours ago and both her and her momma are doing great. She was breech so they had to do a c-section so unfortunately that means a longer recovery period for our daughter but at least everything is over now and everyone is healthy 😊👣

Hope everyone has a great week. Just over a week left to this challenge so hang in there😉!

Best Answer

Thanks, @dancefoxtrot. I took Tuesday and Wed. off from cardio and stretched my feet a lot. Tried a walk Thursday and it was fine. Yesterday and today I did a fair amount of walking and my feet were hurting a bit, but not cramping like before. My knee is hurting some, too (I have some problems with my left knee, too.) I think I need a new pair of shoes. Mine are Asics Gel Cumulus that I got last July, I think. Since I wear them almost every day maybe they aren't supportive enough. Do you guys have a favorite brand and type?

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Easter Day Weight - 249

Sunday1 - 247 - (4/23) 248 Target

Sunday2 - 245 - (4/30) 247 Target 
  Sunday3 - 245 -  (5/07) 246 Target 
  Sunday4 - 244 - (5/14) 245 Target 
  Sunday5 - 244 - (5/21) 244 Target 
  Sunday6 - (5/28) 243 Target  

Memorial Day Goal - 242

-0 lbs

Went higher on the cheat meal and then found it harder to get calories back down. One trap I find myself getting into with these cheat days are after dinner I enter the "better get the junk food in now mode" which usually leads to excess excess.

NSV: I had an incident a few years ago when I used a friends set of plastic furniture and the plastic leg buckled and snapped in FRONT of the friend. It wasn't the $15 dollar replacement cost at walmart it was the embarrassment that came from it. Since that episode I have avoided plastic furniture like the plague.

Was able sit in plastic furniture without the feeling that the plastic will snap on me at any moment which felt good.
Went to the Goodwill store and bought two dress shirts. One shirt might fit at the end of the summer and the other might fit at the end of the year. I think its good to try them on frequently because the scale is a pretty good indicator but clothes are the ultimate judge.
Have a good week everyone.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

@_Lilac_- do you have any walking trails that aren't paved in your city (even if you had to bus to them).  I used to find that I could (without pain) jog on a dirt path.  Even if you have a school nearby, try there during the summer.  You're probably okay using them during the school year, but it depends on the school.  Also, does your Y have a walking track?  They are often softer than mall floors.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@A_Lurker  We have natural forested parks within city limits. The YMCA has an outdoor walking track of gravel. I have lots of options for walking and haven't been back to the mall since Mom left on her trip. I took two walks with the dogs today but had to cut them short because I was in such pain. I put a hot water bottle under my leg last night and the muscles at the back of my thigh were twitching and spasming. I really think I've damaged the connection between the muscle and tendons or ligaments, whatever is back there. After researching online, that's what I've come up with. The heat felt wonderful so I'll do that again when I get in my recliner this evening. I'm going to the pool tomorrow because that will at least get me full body activity even if I can't do certain movements. I see Doc on Wednesday so I'll get more info then. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@_Lilac_  I hope that you get some good news on Wed. Sorry that you're having so much pain. I know it is frustrating but you're smart to not push too hard & hurt yourself more.

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
0 Votes

@DJC_63  Thanks for your words.

I was soooo looking forward to the water aerobics class today and realized it's a holiday here (Victoria Day) so there are no classes. The pool is open for member swims for a few hours today but it's always packed and I won't be able to do my 'moves' in a lane while sharing it with others. I don't want to walk over there and back to check on availability at any given time. So, I guess I'm just taking the dogs out later and rest. There is an evening class tomorrow if I miss the morning one (my kitchen floor is being installed).

Time for hot tea, hot water bottle and breakfast.

Keep on moving, everyone! Drink your water! 

Best Answer

Happy Monday all!   beautiful day yesterday!   Did a fund raiser 2 mile walk with my pup and others, nice visit.

I've been trying to get 30k steps in one day for some time and woo-hoo Made it yesterday!!! So excited,  was in my pj at 9:30 - checked my steps and saw I had 2500 to go so off we went, nice night hike.  My pup is feeling so much better that he is back to being my walking buddy,  - a month a go had to drag him 1-2 miles.   Yesterday he did almost all of them with me!

Almost back to my beginning weight for the year (152)  to day 155.6

lost 5.8 lb last seek (would be nice if that happened very week Woman Very Happy)

So have a great week all and one week left for the challenge...

Best Answer

I've really been slacking, but today I've been challenged to meet my goal so I'm going to make sure to walk on all of my breaks at work and go to the fitness center tonight.  I'm not going to make my goal for this challenge but it would be nice to at least finish it down from where I started.

Nicole- 39 F 5'9"  Wisconsin

USW -  227

04/24/2017   SW -    225

5/03/2017     CW -    224.6

05/08/217     CW

05/15/2017   CW

05/22/2017   CW -   225

05/29/2017   GW-    210

UGW-  160

Best Answer

Well I made some terrible food choices this last week and it showed up on the scale in a major way.

USW- 215.0 (2/4/14)

LCSW- 211.4 (2/14/17) Last Challenge Starting Weight

CSW - 210.8 (4/18/17)

LW- 209.0

CW- 212.4

GW- 205.0 (Memorial Day)

UGW- 150

I'm going to challenge myself to eat better and move more all week and see if I can meet my goal for this challenge anyway. I know food is my downfall but I haven't been moving much either. I'm not sure if being in a funk is the best description, more like just being a little fuzzy with no drive or direction. I think I'm going to try some neighborhood walks for the fresh air, sunshine and nature to boost my spirit.

On the plus side - I did succeed in the Beat Your Goal challenge on Saturday 🙂

Best Answer

What a day so far! I thought I'd be out of my brain with boredom but my sister and her husband and son came over to fix the bikes. Done. They barely got in the door before my sister sent her son to mow my grass. Done. Wow. I guess my sore knee is on everyone's minds. I asked my daughter to help me put up the netting and top of the deck gazebo...brother-in-law to the rescue. Done. Dog played with thoroughly by teenager, with fetch and swinging off an old rope..drooling while sleeping. Done. I don't have to take them for a walk in the neighbourhood. And I emptied my hutch, removed everything from the kitchen except appliances and table (ready for new floor)...Done. I haven't overdone it, I'm not super sore. I just need to make a healthy supper and settle in to relax. 

Everyone all around me is BBQ'ing and did yard work all day. Beautiful day for a stat holiday. 

I hope everyone is doing great! Keep active in mind and body and you'll be happy.

Best Answer

SW - 59.8 kg (week 1)

PW - 60.3 kg (week 2)

PW - 59.9 kg (week 3)

PW - 59.5 kg (week 4)

PW - 60.6 kg (week 5)

CW - 59.9 (week 6)

GW - 59.5 kg

My weight is not really getting where I want it to be. I expected to be a bit further down today as well. Atleast it is not bad.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer