Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metabolism Adaption/Weight Loss Plateau

how can i get my metabolism back on track again?i'll be 54 on Monday and work during the day and eat when i get home.everyday is the same as the last kinda thing!lol!any advice to be beneficial and appreciated.thanx, Deb

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @debilynne,

As you're finding out, the goal of raising the metabolism can reach plateaus. It can be difficult to keep progress going.

One thing that's probably not helping is eating once you get home for the day. Basically you're probably going pretty deep into a caloric deficit. Then when you get home, being hungry, it's easy to overeat. I would recommend eating a big breakfast, or bringing lunch or snacks from home for during the day. You need steady calories to fuel your metabolism. And exercise.

What kind of exercise are you doing, and on what schedule?

If you haven't already, look into HIIT training. It's training that goes regularly into peak heart rate zone. It's intense, but it burns a lot more calories, so it's efficient that way. Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

I take a supplement called Thermofit it's a thermogenic by a company called IT WORKS. I like it so far, I've been taking it for about a month and I haven't had any problems with it. I take it 2x a day. I take one in the morning after my morning shake and one with a small snack before I hit the gym in the afternoon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What has been your recent weight loss "history" (= how much weight have you lost, in what time, and from what starting point)? You may want to have a look at the approach described in this post labelled "The Dreaded Plateau".

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

i'm at work most of day til about 3pm,come home have dinner and a light snack before bed.i don't have time at work to eat,i get up early have my coffee and and drink my iced tea at work.i go to bed at around 8pm.we swim on tues.and Thursdays and at work I do deli work and am on my feet 7-8 hours a day.i haven't changed my eating habits since my surgery a few years ago.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You gave a description of your typical daily/weekly schedule. However, you didn’t provide much information about the weight loss plateau you said you experienced, nor about what could have caused metabolic adaptation.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agreeing with @Dominique - you'll probably get more valuable feedback if you provide some specific information about the issue:  what's your total weight, how much do you want to lose, how long have you been at a plateau, what have you already tried, etc.

I personally think the concept of metabolic "adaptation" is exaggerated -- I think plateaus are more simply explained by an increase in hunger and consumption combined with lower energy / activity level and mental fatigue with the weight loss process (but noting that Biggest Loser contestants are found to have lowered BMR's years after having regained their weight).

That said, and not knowing much about your situation, it seems that you may have increased hunger in the evening after light eating during the day, which could lead to over-consumption.  If so, I'd suggest tracking your eating, drinking more water and snacking on unsalted nuts or avocado during the day.

Best Answer
0 Votes