Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might be a silly question...

ANSWERED

The other week, I got my 'end of week' report, and it looked like, according to Fibit, I should be down 1/2 lb (I am not weighing myself, nor trying to lose weight). But the odd thing is, that overall, looking at how active I was in relation to calories ingested, it seems like it should have calculated over 1/2 a lb down (which is interesting! I don't eat as much as I thought, I guess!)

Anyone burning well over 3500 excess calories a week, having their fitbit end of week report saying they should be down by 1/2 lb at most? It seems like almost two different sets of information coming in. Just wondering if I am reading it correctly. For example, some days I actually burned almost 1,800 calories MORE than ingested! So wouldn't that be 1/2 lb (or thereabouts) difference, calorically, within one day, rather than one week?

The funny bit is that I have thyroid issues, so the Fitbit is probably right anyway 🙂 My weight hardly fluctates at all, even when I am very active, but for the average person...wouldn't this be off a lot?

“The game is afoot.” ― Sherlock Holmes, Adventure of the Abbey Grange
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Manticone !  "Anyone burning well over 3500 excess calories a week, having their fitbit end of week report saying they should be down by 1/2 lb at most?"

Where do you see this exactly on your weekly report? I've reviewed two of them and looked for that mention, and I don't see it. I also have a thyroid disorder, but it hasn't stopped me from losing weight. But lately, I've been doing so toning workouts (resistance bands and free weights) and noticed that I've pretty much plateaued and even gained a little.

But I don't see any indication on my weekly reports as to fitbit thinks I should have lost given my Calories In and Out.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Manticone !  "Anyone burning well over 3500 excess calories a week, having their fitbit end of week report saying they should be down by 1/2 lb at most?"

Where do you see this exactly on your weekly report? I've reviewed two of them and looked for that mention, and I don't see it. I also have a thyroid disorder, but it hasn't stopped me from losing weight. But lately, I've been doing so toning workouts (resistance bands and free weights) and noticed that I've pretty much plateaued and even gained a little.

But I don't see any indication on my weekly reports as to fitbit thinks I should have lost given my Calories In and Out.

Best Answer

Okay, so I am very very new. I just opened the box and set up my Fitbit. I have a thyroid condition. I am on Levothyroxine. I also had my ovaries and uterus removed in January 2013. Uggh. I can go a pant size up within 2 weeks. I am gaining weight like crazy despite the fact that I walk every morning. I also was a gym rat and did not see any improvement in my size. Disappointed, I stopped going to the gym. Just yesterday I hiked for 3 hours. I like to hike, bike, do yoga and walk. Hoping this Fitbit can help with the weightloss or it's going back to Costco. Lol. 

Best Answer

@itzjustjude63 wrote:

Okay, so I am very very new. I just opened the box and set up my Fitbit. I have a thyroid condition. I am on Levothyroxine. I also had my ovaries and uterus removed in January 2013. Uggh. I can go a pant size up within 2 weeks. I am gaining weight like crazy despite the fact that I walk every morning. I also was a gym rat and did not see any improvement in my size. Disappointed, I stopped going to the gym. Just yesterday I hiked for 3 hours. I like to hike, bike, do yoga and walk. Hoping this Fitbit can help with the weightloss or it's going back to Costco. Lol. 

First, I'd recommend get the fact down real quick that weight loss is about eating less than you burn - not just about exercising.

Anyone can out eat their exercise burn. 

Well, Fitbit is estimating the daily burn for an average healthy body of your age, weight, height, gender.

You don't have a healthy body though - so odds are it will indeed NOT be correct. And I mean thyroid condition is what makes it not healthy.

But it can at least deal with daily variances, and allow you to see one of the main effects of thyroid issues - your body trying to slow down your daily activity. That should show up in steps.

But take reasonable deficit for the fact your body is already under stress with disease, bigger deficit adding stress isn't going to help your fat loss at all, it'll fight it.

So small weight loss goal.

Be honest with your food logging, and accurate. Calories in food is per weight, grams, not per volume like cups or spoons. So weigh all food that goes in your mouth. Volume is only for liquids.

And correct Fitbit for exercise that is NOT step based like you should. Swimming should be obvious, but also biking, rowing, lifting, elliptical, ect.

And since it's estimate of your daily burn will have more chance of being wrong than right, give it 1 month of accurate food logging, and then base corrections to Fitbit on how much you actually lose.

Realizing you need valid weigh-in days, and not all days are, and you can add water weight purely from stress.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes