Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we want to lose weight?

Hi all! I'm a product designer and a fresh starter at FitBit. I have problems about issues like exercising, keeping track of calories and finding motivation. I'd like to get some knowledge and experience from those who would like to join my discussions. Here's my first question: Why do we want to lose weight?

Many thanks to all in advance!

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

This is kind of a general question that has as many answers as there are those to answer.  I lose wieght to feel better, to be able to engage in activities I can not while overwieght, and to not suffer the horrendous death I watched my father recently experience.  My father died from complications of diabetes.  He worked out daily for 50 years but ate items that affected his health.  To smell his rotting flesh as we changed his dressings.  To see the huge amount of suffering he experienced as the cut off fingers, toes, feet, and hearing the proposals of removing his legs is something I fight everyday to avoid.  I am active.  I usual hover around 16000 to 20000 steps a day.  But more importantly I try to eat healthier foods.  I still want to hike the Pacific Crest Trail.  I still want to take grandchildren on hikes to conquor peaks over 14000 ft.  I want to feel energy to walk the dogs after a long day of work instead of hitting the couch and watching TV.  My reasons.  What are yours?

Best Answer

Losing weight isn't really important to me personally. I have an active job and two nutty dogs so I burn calories just waking up. Mostly it's about keeping toned. I shudder at the idea of having jiggly thighs or bat wing upper arms. I'm proud my legs and arms are hard muscle. My weight bounces around 130 more or less and I'm good with that.

Best Answer

For me it is health. I went to the doctor for my phisycal and my weight was finally at a point that I could no longer ignore. I had told my self for years after college that if I ever got to 300lbs that was when I needed to lose weight. I hit that after Igot married and kept going up. Then I told my self 330lbs was my point where I needed to d soemthing about it. I leveled off at about 330lbs for a number of years. Then it started climbing above that in the last year or so. Finally this year it hit 350lbs and that hit me hard.  If I didn't do something things were going to start getting bad. I ordered a Fitbit that afternoon, a little over a month ago. I have since lost 15lbs by changing my exersies and eating habits. Fingres crossed I can keep this life change, yes life change not a diet, up.

A Fat One-eyed Man was sitting on the couch, then I got a Fitbit.
**** Fitbit Flex Since 10/9/14 ****
Best Answer

My reasons are health and look. When I face a health issue regarding the things I eat or regarding the lack of movement (because I'm working on my desk all the time) I decide to get some discipline about eating and exercising. But once the health issue is solved I turn back to my old habits. It's pretty discouraging. How I look is of course another issue. It's frustrating seeing my favourite dresses not looking good on me.

Best Answer

@elainey300 wrote:

Hi all! I'm a product designer and a fresh starter at FitBit. I have problems about issues like exercising, keeping track of calories and finding motivation. I'd like to get some knowledge and experience from those who would like to join my discussions. Here's my first question: Why do we want to lose weight?

Many thanks to all in advance!

E,

It's not that we "want" to lose weight.  It's that we "have" to.  At least for those of use who were way overweight (I was 300+ lbs back in Oct 2014).  Diagnosed with Type II Diabetes at that time.  I had to start eating right (healthy), and start an exercise regimen so I could lose that weight.  As I lost the weight during my campaign, my body was "waking up" and starting to become more energetic. 

I finally achieved my target weight goal of 170 lbs on Aug. 22nd, 2014.  Lost over 130 pounds and have maintained that mark for the past three months.  I'm exercising more and compensating by intaking more "healthy" calories.

So, the weight loss is the "tip" of the iceberg.  I build lifetime practices of eathing healthy and exercisiing regularly that will keep me from ever getting that obese, again.

Nutrition values, heart rate, blood pressure, achy joints and muscles, endorphins kicking in again after 20 year hiatus, getting a narrow waist, liking the way my wife looks at me now....

These are all desired things (well maybe not so much the achiness, but it shows that I've been pushing my body).

Thoughts?

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer