Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What have we experienced as a real waste of time during our weight loss?

Hi all! I'm a product designer and a fresh starter at FitBit. I have problems about issues like exercising, keeping track of calories and finding motivation. I'd like to get some knowledge and experience from those who would like to join my discussions. Here's my third question: What do we think as a real waste of time, money or effort during our weight loss experience? How can we change that?

Many thanks to all in advance!

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

I wasted too much time driving to exercise, such as to the gym.  Now I realize how precious time is to get in enough exercise during the week. I have a gym now where i live which is great, no wasted time driving or additional costs.  Like many Fitbitters, I try to weave as many steps and stairs into my day.

I've purchased a treadmill and a boflex that I didn't really use enough considering the cost.  I have some small exercise equipment that were a waste of money, in my opinion,  They included a 2 lb and 3 lb fitness balls (gifts from a coworker) and exercise straps. 

Best Answer

When deciding to purchase a tracker, wondering if buying a wrist worn tracker or a clipped one. Purchased the Flex since Force wasn't available yet (only by pre-ordering and needing to wait a half year). Several months later, got the One as well since would be more accurate when working (Flex overcounts by many steps if using tools like a rake).

If knowing, would have gotten the one the first time. Smiley Embarassed

At least it makes the next (future) purchases of (unknown) products to buy less rushing. Now it goes like:

1. Oh that's something cool! want!
  2. Wait a day, a few days,..
  3. Do I really need?
  4. Can't stop thinking about, not wanting..?, but it's still cool!
  5. .. Wouldn't really need .. money saved!
  6. Could use, but what currently having is still working perfectly, not really need!
  7. Want it.. arrgh! But if really wanted, would have gotten the first time eh? Don't buy it, money saved for something else..Smiley Embarassed

Out of experience, if for example something new becomes available (newer phone model, gps,..) , even while the current one still works, still tempting to get the new model..

If waiting until the current one Really needs to be replaced, it saves money and likely a even newer newer model is available to get! It pays off to wait.. Smiley Tongue

Best Answer
0 Votes

@elainey300 wrote:

Hi all! I'm a product designer and a fresh starter at FitBit. I have problems about issues like exercising, keeping track of calories and finding motivation. I'd like to get some knowledge and experience from those who would like to join my discussions. Here's my third question: What do we think as a real waste of time, money or effort during our weight loss experience? How can we change that?

Many thanks to all in advance!

E,

I tried to plan ahead so I didn't have a lot of false starts.  I guess the one I found out about was after I reached my maintenance weight.  I found I could do recumbent bike ridiing 3-5 times a day for about 30 minutes a time and going a consistent distance (8 miles).

This would burn about 3,500-4,500 calories a day for me and in half the time it would take me to walk the same distance up and down hills and around our neighborhood lake.

So, for the month November, it's mostly biking combined with South East Outings weekend hikes.

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer

In my experience, my biggest waste of time and money was two years ago, when I became a one-year member of a gym and went there only 5 times during the whole year. I was really furious with myself. After that, I bought an elliptical trainer to use at home but, guess what, most of the time I'm using it to hang clothes. That was also when I thought, what a waste of effort, was pretty discouraging for me.

Best Answer