Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need weight loss help!

Hi alll.. 

I've been on almost every diet or weight loss plan you can think of.. and I'm 23. I've been battling with my weight since I can remember. Sometimes I find success, but most of the time i'll lose 5lbs, gain it back, lose it, gain it, etc. Before I know it, months will go by and I'll still be at a standstill. I have a problem staying consistent with my diet and exercise. I'll go walking for a week and then stop, same patterns with eating well. 

I really want to find a way to stay motivated and SEE results. I struggle with anxiety/depression and food is my number one coping mechanism. 

Any advice? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
21 REPLIES 21

I totally understand.  Me too, I have tried everything and you are more than half my age.  You are at a perfect time in your life when you can make standards for yourself and stick to them, but you really have to want to.  In our society we are looking for that pill that will make us whatever we want to be and our body does not work that way.  Study nutrition, understand how food works for you - research the differnt approaches to lifestyle living.  Define your life, build the platform by which you live.  Don't let things or people make you do anything.  If you're aware of your values, your goals and your objectives you are able to embrace or repel.  It takes time, but you have time, you're young!  Good luck!  it is a destination not a trip!

Best Answer

First, I have total empathy with your situation.  I would suggest that you look to the really successful areas of your life and figure out why they work.  Then, you will know how to apply that attitude and motivation to the diet and exercise part of your life.  For me, I find that I follow rules, really well.  So, I make exercise my first "rule" of the day.   I like the carb cycle diet.  That way, I can have carbs one day and carb free the next, that's just the rule.  Not everyone can make "rules" and follow them, but you can find the one thing that will keep you going.  Think of this not as a weakness, but as a challenge!  And challenge yourself to conquer!!  Because:

Food is fuel, not friends.
Best Answer

thank you thank you, it means a lot. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

thank you, that helps a lot. I have had succes in other areas of my life.. and I have been extremely dedicated in order to achieve that success. I'm not sure why I feel that this part of my life doesn't deserve the same attention/dedication. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Completely understand your situation, have been struggling with the same issues myself for the last few years. gym workouts, cardio sessions, food habits, nothing seemed to work. Last 6 months have been much much better- set a goal, got fitbit, got a qualified trainer, instead of simple cardio - started HIIT- High intensity interval training- is magic, start 1 good food habit every month- completely avoid high GI Foods- its addictive. Nothing is more important than eating nutritious food. Also got a food allergy test done- sometimes food allergies dont let you lose weight. Also have been reading a lot on the internet - individual experiences- forums, workout routines etc

The first month was difficult to adjust but couple of months ahead I see so many benefits and dont want to go back to old lifestyle and eating habits. Losing weight and being healthy is no rocket science, few lifestyle changes here and there and youre gonna be on track. Most importantly you should be able to figure out what works for you and then take it to the next level

I feel better, energetic and really motivated towards my goal, might still take me a good 12-18 months to really get back into shape- being realistic. I wish someone told me all this a few years back and i would be rocking now.

Would love to help with my experience

ALL THE BEST- Happy Stepping

Best Answer

Thank you. I'm seeing a holistic nurtrionist/trainer who has me on a gluten free, dairy free diet and initially I was losing. However, now I'm finding it difficult to stick to. I've been seeing her since October and I've only lost about 10 lbs - gaining some back here and there. It's completely my fault.. I can't stay on track. 

Thank you! I'll take ALL the support I can get. Feel free to add me 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think anyone can really give good advice on how to remain motivated - its all down to the individual getting into the right frame of mind.  What I can tell you is what worked for me (after similar experiences of going throught cycles of working out for a few weeks and then nothing for a couple of months.....over and over).  

I was listening to someone talking on the radio about 'health and exercise'.  The guy was asked 'how do you find the time to workout regularly, given your job and so on'.  The reply - 'my health is too important to not be the first priority - its the first thing I schedule in my calendar, everything else has to work around that'.

So, I did likewise.  I opened up my calendar and scheduled workouts I liked and set the software to trigger an alarm on my phone, send me texts and e-mail reminders, etc. 

5pm my phone would buzz to tell me to go to the gym.  A few minutes later I'd get an e-mail  and then a text.  So I went to the gym.  

The first few weeks of this regime were easy.  It was still a novelty. 

Then it got difficult for a few weeks.  And I started thinking 'I'm too hungry/sleepy/tired/sore to go to the gym tonight' as I was driving home.  So I decided no matter what, I'd go to the gym as scheduled.  I'd get changed and do 10 mins on the treadmill, and then I could shower and go home.  10 mins.  I mean how hard is that - you can't be too tired to do 10 mins.  Too hungry to wait 20 mins for dinner.  

Thing was, sometimes I got to the gym with the intention of really only doing my commited 10 mins on the treadmill.   Once I got going I got annoyed with myself for having such a bad attitude....turned the music up....turned the treadmill speed up..... before i knew it I'd done a really hard workout. 

For me the 'secret' was scheduling time....and committing to ALWAYS go to the gym, but allowing myself the option of only doing a mile on the treadmill.   Prior to that my plans were too vague - 'will go to the gym three times this week and workout for an hour'.....didn't go monday....or tues....or wed.....then the thought of going every night for an hour......

Best Answer

Put your headphones on, turn a good fast song on and just move tothe beat. I also need help getting motivated to move but when I put my headphones and music on The BEAT TAKES OVER.!!!!  get you some Preimeer 30g protein drinks  . It helps if you eat a lot of protein and low carbs.  Just be sure to get enough calories in also.

If you need me I am here  24/7

Brenda Kremer

Bettybooplover12@verizon.net

Best Answer

awesome , amazing commitment 

Best Answer

Thank you!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I'm new to Fitbit, am charging my new Flex right now 🙂  I've lost 67 pounds in the past 10 months - I joined Weight Watchers and that program really works for me.  I also track my food and do challenges at Fatsecret.com; joined Curves fitness on March 1 for additional strength training, and also committed to walk a minimum of a mile per day about the same time.  Been wanting to add the Fitbit and kicking myself for not getting the Force before the recall, so am going with the Flex for now. 

It can be done, but it is a HUGE committment to make changes in everything you do.  That's why I like Weight Watchers and all the tracking I do.  I know exactly what I eat and how that food plus my activity affects my weight loss or gain.  I also use the bra clip-on Activity Monitor which converts my activity into Points I can eat or save. 

yes, I'm a techie **ahem** tracker.  But it's working for me.  I have a goal of another 33 pounds in my mind - that number is driven from what I need to do to get to Lifetime at WW, will converse with my dr. on what he thinks as well. 

For me, it's do it or die.  I was 260 pounds and killing myself.  It can be done, one day at a time, one pound at a time - every battle wins the war. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too have struggled with my weight since i was very young (always the big girl out of all my friends). This year i turned 30 took a look at myself and though who is that person in the mirror. So i found MFP.. after doing MFP for 2 months i desided to step it up and get a fitbit to keep myself going. I have now lost 28 lbs. I follow the calories MFP gives me. I find it helpful. I look up foods and see what calories they have. And then i think.. is it worth it? You want a weight loss program that fits you. Something you can stick to for the rest of your life. I personally love ice cream. And i still eat ice cream almost every night if it fits in my calorie goal. I measure everything. I find foods that i like and that i can work them in to my daily routine. I have 2 kids and work fulltime at night.. so going to the gym is not an option.. so i do work outs at home. Youtube videos, Wii zumba or just dance. I never thought i would lose weight..and that i would be the same for the rest of my life. Its possible. The first step is seeing that its not a diet you need.. but a life change that you can live with. I didnt really see results till 20lbs. But i kept going. Everytime i felt tired or just wanted to eat i reminded myself that I want this. I want to feel better and look better. If there are foods you cant live without.. then still eat them.. but cut their portion size. I love pizza... but i know when we buy pizza i could eat a whole one on my own no problems.. now i get a large salad as well.. I eat my salad.. and then my pizza. Then i save the rest of the pizza for a nother night or afternoon. Thinking yeah i could eat it ALL now.. or save some and enjoy it another time as well. I have days where i go over on my calories. I just make sure its a meal that i really enjoy and get back on track the next day. I find punishing yourself for having a bad day only makes things worse. It took time to gain the weight.. and will take time to see it go. Keep your head up, and remind yourself. If you stick with it.. it will work. Start small. Try to set a smaller goal for steps for each week..Walk in place while watching tv. Find what works for you. I know the more i lose the more i feel better and more energy.. and the more i want to lose. You can do it. Dont let yourself be your own worse enemy. 

Best Answer
Good luck Just stay strong!!!!
Brenda Kremer
Best Answer

Thank you for your advice. I watched your video and your story is very inspiring, congratulations and you look stunning! I seem to be in a pretty good groove right now.. however, like you said in your video, deep down I fear I'll never keep up with what I'm doing now and even if I do lose weight, i'll give up and gain it back. I'm trying to beat back those thoughts and be positive. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

One of the books that really put it into perspective for me was a book by Dr. Wayne Scott Andersen called "Dr. A's Habits of Health".  That and having a Health Coach showed me that optimal health is a creative process, not a destructive one.  We aren't focused on what we want OUT of our lives (the fat) but instead what we want to CREATE with the process of becoming optimally healthy.  My desire to live a healthy life keeps me motivated every day to DO that habits of "health" that I have instilled in small, sustainable increments.  😃 

Best Answer

I too suffer from dep/anx and the meds have added on crazy weight gain.Since I made my mind up that I can't be this fat, in the last month have lost 10 lbs. I stay under the 1100 cals Fitbit set up for me. I am trying SHAKEOLOGY Shakes for breakfast, leftovers of 1/2 tuna for lunch..apple and chicken or fish, veggies Quiona for dinner..if needed sugar free jello for dessert, but I've lost my sugar cravings! YAY!

Hope this helps..and good luck!

Jen

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too have struggled with my weight for the majority of my life beginning in my teens. Now that I am in my 40's, I realized I really need to get this under control and do something about it. After being sick for many years, I was diagnosed with celiac disease back in Aug/2012 so I have been eating gluten free since then and have felt much better. I lost my mom suddenly last fall at the young age of 61 and that was a real wake up call. Though it was a brain aneursym, it really was a wake up call for me and I don't want to do that to my children due to my obesity. So I finally got my butt in gear and promised myself I'd give it a month of old fashioned calorie counting and exercise. Yesterday was my one month mark and I was down 9.6 lbs. Today I made it over the 10 lb mark. I am pumped to see what next month will bring.

My best advice is to make a playlist of your favorite music that keeps you pumped up. My best gift this Christmas was a pair of Beats headphones. I turn the music up and am now walking on the treadmill 40 minutes per day. Take each day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day. Build upon every good day. Find activities that you like to do. You won't do it if its not something you enjoy. I used to use every excuse in the book to not exercise, now I look forward to my daily walk.

Best wishes to you!

Best Answer

So sorry about your Mom. IMine died of ancer 5 years ago, and it's a real difficult greiving process.

Thank you for all you useful advice!

Jen

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm very much in the same boat. I've struggled with losing weight for years. I always stayed right around 170 and couldn't break that barrier. Recently I got a really sedentary desk job and the scale starting moving--just in the wrong direction! In less than a year I've gained another 20 lbs!

I finally decided to make a change. I join a boot camp class, and I"m really dedicated to logging everything I eat. Fit bit is good for that too. I think the biggest challenge for me is accountability. When I joined weight watchers I did great--lost 10 lbs and kept going...for a while. Once I was out of the program, I lost momentum. Having that weekly weigh in was HUGE for me. So maybe if you get some friends invovled, and let them know your goals that might help? I like Fitbit for the goal options too, actually.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Best Answer