Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Intermittent Fasting

ANSWERED

I have been researching the various forms and varieties of IF.  I can see how it works and I think it's what I have been looking for all my life.  I just can't get a finger on getting started and when to start.  Can anyone please advise? 

Thanks

Fitbit Enthusiast
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Well, intermittent fasting is still eating, just less often / on a different schedule. Just pick up a style of IF you think would be compatible with your way of life and start today, or tomorrow. You can always switch to another style later on, if the one you selected turns out not to suit you. Or return to your previous eating style (like people who fast for religious reasons).

When you write "how it works", I assume you mean for weight loss (since you posted on the Weight management forum). IF works for weight loss primarily if it allows you to be in a caloric deficit.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

Well, intermittent fasting is still eating, just less often / on a different schedule. Just pick up a style of IF you think would be compatible with your way of life and start today, or tomorrow. You can always switch to another style later on, if the one you selected turns out not to suit you. Or return to your previous eating style (like people who fast for religious reasons).

When you write "how it works", I assume you mean for weight loss (since you posted on the Weight management forum). IF works for weight loss primarily if it allows you to be in a caloric deficit.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

Dr Michael Mosely has a couple of books

"8 Week Blood Sugar Diet" and "The Fast Diet"

Available in the Amazon store - I have Kindle versions and The Fast Diet also as Audiobook

I'm currently on week 1 of the 8WBSD

I'm planning to do this for 8-12 weeks then switch to his 5:2 diet from The Fast Book

I previously lost 30 kg following the BIGGER LEANER STRONGER program by Mike Matthews

I got a bit slack with the Nutrition side of the equation and I've put half of it back

So I decided I really wanted to get it off quick - hence the attempt at 8WBSD

Best Answer
0 Votes

I started the 5:2 diet and right off the back I lost 7 lbs since I used Tuesday and Wednesday of this week as my two days. I'm going to eat under my goal of 1738 the other 5 days.  I'm not gorging and I feel pretty good.  My second Fast day (Wednesday) I got a headache so I drank a cup of black tea with honey for sweetness and my headache subsided,  I'm going to do the next following days and stay within my budget and also going to throw in some added physical activity to boost my results.  I am having a rather good time during this entire process.  Thank you for the feedback Dominique!

Fitbit Enthusiast
Best Answer

@Kenn.Sanchez -- how is it going with the IF and how are you feeling?

I have one 36 hour fast under my belt, and felt good during and afterwards.  I also find that the days I can resist eating after 6:00 PM, I feel much better the next day.  I'm thinking that being in ketosis already makes it easier than someone burning carbs who tries to fast and finds himself feeling starved after running out of blood sugar in the afternoon.

Best Answer

hey there. I've started the IF this sunday and already lost 3 pounds. I haven't really eaten many processed foods and for snacks between my meals i'll eat something more water based like celery with cottage cheese instead of peanut butter(im weird). I've also started seeing a wellness coach to help me lose weight before a wedding in May. I'd like to lose at least 10 more pounds but if I could tone a bit + drop 15 from now then i'd be living the dream! fingers crossed!!

Best Answer

My parents have did the 5:2 for many years and swear by it. I have did it for a few months now and its simple to stick with and not that taxing as you can eat what you want the day after a fast day. I spread the days (currently Monday and Wednesday) as two together does feel harder. But it does work in terms of loosing weight and it does decrease your appetite and makes you realise the calories in simple things like biscuits.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@evilCwrote:

makes you realise the calories in simple things like biscuits.

Does the 5:2 IF protocol sharpen your vision as one of its benefits? I realize the calories in cookies by simply reading the label on the package, no IF needed, I just need my reading glasses as I’m an old fart <lol>.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do a 18hr on-6hrs off intermittent fast at least five days a week.  Lunch at noon, dinner at 5:30. I eat

mostly vegetables and protein. Works great with my schedule and I don't feel deprived or hungry.  I wouldn't be able to maintain a regular fast.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm down just shy of 60 lbs (262 to 205) since August 14th, 2017 on a goulash of Intermittant and extended fasting, coupled with a Low Carb High Fat diet (with a few 'what the hell' days thrown in for good measure). I'd recommend Dr. Jason Fung's book (a nephrologist *kidney* doctor in Montreal), "The Complete Guide to Fasting", or his Youtube video series, "The Aetiology of Obesity". The first extended fast was a little difficult, but fasting became easier and easier as time went on.

Best Answer

Congrats for your weight loss, @datgnat! 57 pounds in 7 months is very impressive: that’s 8 lbs per month = 2 lbs per week in average. Quite a caloric deficit had to be sustained to achieve that result. Mentioning calories, because Dr. Fung says they don’t matter. Well, they do, in the sense no one will lose weight if they can’t create the necessary deficit. Glad IF and LCHF worked for you to create that deficit. What are your plans from now on? Do you intend to maintain your current weight for a while, or are you trying to push it further down? 

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
Oh, I still have another thirty to forty pounds to go before I’ll be
content, and feeling like I’ve reached where I want to be long term. Wish
me luck!
Best Answer

@datgnat -- good luck! 

Please continue to post your experiences and findings.  I am on a very similar path as you and very interested to hear what does and does not work for you.

Great citations to Fung and others of similar mindset.  I'm intrigued by his idea of expanding how we think about calorie in versus out to think about calories eaten, stored, burned, and wasted.

Best Answer

Well intermittent fasting to me is the 12 hour thing. You only eat in a 12 hour period. Basically after your last meal you don’t eat again until 12 hours time that includes anything including coffee etc. I’ve found it extremely easy even though I was a habitual eater before bed. One of the benefits is increase in muscle mass which I have definitely noticed. It’s supposed to be a diabeties killer. Also as a shift worker I continue to do it and not eating after 10pm on a nightshift. Lost fat, gained muscle even though not really doing much at the gym at the moment. So the thing to remember is it’s not a thing you do every now and then it’s is a lifestyle thing although they say you can cheat on the weekend. I just went on holiday for 2 weeks and compromised by doing 11 hour time gap instead of 12. I feel awesome after 8 weeks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the community, @Versa_User04, and glad to hear you have found a way of eating that aligns with your requirements and preferences.

Lost fat, gained muscle even though not really doing much at the gym at the moment. 

Even though supported by your personal anecdotal evidence, I find it hard to believe that IF in and of itself would promote muscle gain. In fact, the common wisdom among people who want to maximize muscle gain (bodybuilders) is that multiple feedings spread throughout the day is the way to go (supposedly to make sure there’s a constant flow of aminoacids in your body). That being said, provided you create a sufficient stimulus to your muscles for them to grow (resistance training) and eat a sufficient amount of protein at the daily level, I’m sure it’s possible to gain muscle with all possible ways to spread your meals (from IF to the caricatural 6-7 meals a day of bodybuilders, and everything in-between).

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer