Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-scale victories

So, although it is weight loss related, I finally admited that I have to get rid of a lot of my clothing.  Mostly pants at the moment as I'm not going to throw everything out.  I stopped wearing my dressier work pants back in May.  They're still hanging in my closet, and I have worn them a couple of times but I need to roll the waist up constantly.  I've always carried my weight through my trunk and lower abdominal pannus.  So, where I could possibly order smaller waisted pants the pannus interferes with this.  It means as I lose weight my pants become closer to the ground as it's not holding it up.

So, at that point I switched back to the pants I had been wearing before, but even they are now loose at the waist and dragging on the ground.  One of the women I worked with said it best last week - you need to buy some smaller clothing.  On the tops I have some that were tight that I'll pull out of the closet to wear and I have some fall tops that are the same.  I can put the sewing machine up and take some of the tops in as I go.

I ordered some new pants today.  I went through the house looking for a pair of smaller ones and found exactly 1 pair.  I'm going to collect, clean, and drop most of the older ones off when I'm out tomorrow.  The rest will follow when I get my order.  I also ordered a tape measure with something else I was getting from Amazon, so I can pay more attention to body changes as I go along.  I have a feeling this will continue through the day.  The garden is wet (no weeding at the moment), the heat has come up and looks to be a hot humid day, if it doesn't storm again.  I had an emotionally bad night last night (coping with crushing depression isn't always easy when you can eliminate one of the biggest factors), so this seems like a positive thing to do today.

We all have them, these non-scale victories.  They can be weight loss related, body related, fitness related, or even work or personal life related.  

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

That is awesome! Congrats!

I am glad you are getting a tape measure as it can be just as motivating to see the inches drop as the weight!

We are doing great!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Epic Cat Happy

We are seeing ourself every day, while there are changes, it looks mostly like there are no changes at all. Using the tape measure, noticing clothes getting looser,.. are the best ways to see what we're doing is working to achieve our goals.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use the FitStream app. Each week when I do my weight in I first log all of my measurements in to the app. You can also take photos for each week to eventually get those fabulous before and after photos. It shows all of the information in a graph so you can see quite plainly that even though scales are evil and barely move you actually are making progress.

I don't have one particular article to show you but I have read numerous that support getting rid of your 'fat clothes' to maintain a healthier weight. Without the safety net of these clothes you'll have to fork out hard earned cash if you don't stay motivated. 

And brava on not only needing smaller pants but on others noticing! You must have felt pretty pleased with yourself that day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@x_Toots_x wrote:

And brava on not only needing smaller pants but on others noticing! You must have felt pretty pleased with yourself that day!

There's definitely satisfaction with the weight loss, however, the last few years (almost three actually) I've been struggling with depression.  It's not about my weight, as I've been heavy all my life (fat child, overweight early teens, possibly even in the obese range then).  I've become a full time caretaker for an ailing parent who has dementia.  Well, full time after I leave a pretty stressful job.

Anyway, I've put probably 3 dozen pants, crops and a few capris, in bags for donating.  I'm somewhat tempted to start doing the same with my tops.  More of a purge of ones I don't like as I can do some alterations on others the in fall.  Although if I end up purchasing new items I'm going to purge out the old. As motivating myself to do things can be tough most days, I'm not sure I will ever get the sewing machine out.  My financial situation is such that I can afford to purchase some new items.

I wasn't specifically not taking measurements.  I'm also lucky that I'm still in the phase of my weight loss where I'm seeing the scale move each week.  I just haven't seen the measuring tape since my last move.  I went through a couple of boxes yesterday that I thought might have it (had a flood in the spring and haven't found a replacement dresser I like yet) but that's when I gave up and simply added the tape to an open order on Amazon.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is fantastic! Buying clothes in a smaller size is awesome therapy and great motivation. Applause to you for staying strong for yourself and rewarding yourself. My happiest times through my weightloss was buying clothes sizes smaller at steady intervals. My husband was less pleased, but he got over it. My greatest motivator for staying the size I am now is the clothers and how they look on me. Vain I know- but honest.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes