Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not loosing weight!!

Hi so I’ll give some background

i started my journey at 175 pounds around 3 years ago I’m 5’3 so that’s alit

i lost around 30 pounds and last year at this time I was around 137 at my lowest and felt pretty good, still wanted to get down to around 130 but never have, I fell off a couple times but work out pretty often , I stopped tracking for a bit but when January came I wanted to start the journey again, my weight was fluctuating at that time 138-140 , I started having a routine again , eating in a deficit working out and felt good but was not loosing any weight , when maexh and April came I got a new early morning 5 am job and Ann getting no sleep around 5-6 hours a night and my weight has spiked to 143-144 these past months 

I work out hard , around 2 hours 5-6 times a week cardio and weights , I burn around 600-700 calories per workout according to Fitbit and try to get 10000 steps a day, I was eating around 1600-1700 calories a day and nothing worked so I tried 1300-1400 and again. No results, I feel like I’m doing everything right and seeing no results , I have been dieting for around2 years and don’t know if I’ve ever Reallt been at maintenance or in a surplus for a long period of

fjme

, I’m really frustrated and at least wanted to get back to 137 I’ve been working so hard

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Welcome @Machirajuv - first, congrats on your original weight loss and willpower.  I imagine that your overall health and fitness are high in spite of your weight being higher than you'd like.

The situation you describe is so frustrating.  And, people here frequently report it so you're not alone.  Unfortunately, I've yet to see anyone make recommendations on how to break a stall that consistently work (except one, which I'll mention below). 

My opinion is that you are at an equilibrium -- you have reached a weight "set-point" and your body is fighting to prevent further weight loss.  Your base metabolic rate is likely reduced, and while you are burning calories through exercise, your fitness is working against you by enabling you to burn less calories for a given level of effort.  But, what you are doing is not working, so my opinion is you need to change something.

Also, you mentioned you can only get 5 to 6 hours of sleep per night.  This can increase stress and higher levels of cortisol, which is associated with weight gain.  One idea is to somehow, someway, figure a way to get to bed early enough to get 8 hours sleep. 

If you knocked off most of the exercise, you'd have more time for sleep.  And you might find that, because you are not having to recover from intense exercise, you are more rested.

Also, you could experiment with changing your diet around.  Maybe go low carb.  Or plant-based whole foods.  Also, you may find Intermittant Fasting helps.

That brings me to what will work 100% of the time - Extended Fasting.  Pretty radical, but if you eat nothing at all, you will absolutely lose 1/3 to 1/2 pound of fat per day.  Weird thing is that it's easier to fast for 3 days than to eat at a significant calorie deficit for 3 days.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Machirajuv wrote:

I started having a routine again , eating in a deficit working out and felt good but was not loosing any weight ,

I’m really frustrated and at least wanted to get back to 137 I’ve been working so hard

So a couple things that I would point out.  You are trying to base your success on one measurement (weight), therefore being within 5% of that goal makes you feel like a failure.  

So while that # has plateau'd you should look into other aspects of your health and fitness and build goals around those.

1. Track your measurements (waist, bicep, etc) - those could reduce even though that scale isn't moving

2. You lift weights - Set a goal for a new 1 of 5 rep max in a specific exercise

3. You do cardio - Try to set a pace or time/distance goal

4.  Or focus your training on a specific activity:  a race? sport? 40 time?  Vertical Jump? etc. and try to work towards those goals

Food, Rest, and Sleep are recovery tools, don't skimp. (especially with the amount of activity you state you are doing).  

Average at least 6 hours of sleep a night.

If you are working out hard, take two rest days a week where you aren't (and schedule them)

Eat - Personally I would stick to a a range of +/- 200 calories to your total daily burn (depending on BF%)

Best Answer
0 Votes