Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not losing weight but exercising and counting calories/macros?

ANSWERED

I was wondering if anyone had any tips!

-I am an overweight college student (deals with frequent stress). I workout 4-6 times a week religiously! It's my me time away from school! I've done only cardio, and now I do cardio and lifting weights (basically switched it up trying to see what would help)

-I've done the low calorie thing (between 1300-1600) with no luck! So I read about how if you raise your calories while working out it may help to lose weight as well! I raised them to between 1800 and 2,200 also with no luck. 

-Then i began counting my macros. Making sure my percentages were not only what were suggested but close to what i had researched! Still, no luck. 

-So basically, here I am hardcore lifting twice a week and doing cardio 3-4 times a week, counting my macros (keeping a lower fat count and higher protein count) as well as keeping my calories under 2,000 a day and making sure to burn no less than 500 calories per workout. I am not losing weight, I don't feel slimmer and i'm feeling pretty unmotivated!

If anyone has any suggestions as to what i may be doing wrong or what may help i would be forever grateful!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@TJsJourney I've had some pretty tough conversations with people struggling to accomplish their weight loss goals. I've experienced it all firsthand. At my heaviest, I weighed almost 500 lbs. I can throw numbers at you and use the internet to calculate any number of biometrics...I don't feel that's what the issue is here.

I've spoken with a lot of fitness industry pros. They struggle to make lasting connections with their obese clients. I explain that most fit people, never experiencing obesity, will never truly relate to an obese person's journey. What works for you most likely won't work for your obese clients. Knowing your "why" and the lines about integrity are tedious and truthfully aggravating. Dealing with the obese is more like dealing with junkies. An obese person can find their drug by the shelf load, aisle after aisle, any hour of the day.

"Don't lose weight because you hate your body, lose weight because you love your body and with that love carry forward with purpose."

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

@TJsJourney

Whenever you change something, how long do you try it before deciding it is not working? What is your current weight and how tall are you? How is your sleep? With the information you currently provided it is very hard to provide tips.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@TJsJourney: I see you joined Fitbit two years ago. Have you been wearing your Fitbit(s) 24/7 since? Asking to see if you have a full history of your step count / energy expenditure, as this would provide a good baseline. How much does your Fitbit say you burn in average per day? How does that compare to the TDEE obtained when you enter your personal data in this online calculator? If you tell us about your average step count, I’ll give you what I think would be the relevant activity level for you.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

HI

I use My Fitness Pal ( the free app) along side my fitbit and it really helps. The fitbit will sync with my fitness pal and show you exactly what you have burned compared with what you are eating. You put in your height, sex and weight and how much you would like to lost per week and it will give you a daily calorie target. I aim to lose a pound a week so my calorie deficit at the end of every day has to be higher than 500 calories. (3500 calories - 1 lb) Put in EVERYTHING. Cups of coffee/ tea/ spoonful of sugar. If you use them religiously and there is no medical reason then you will lose weight. Also it is a good thing to remember that if you are within 18 pounds of your target weight you may start turning your fat to muscle. One pound fat is the size of your forearm while one pound muscle is only the size of your palm so i always like to keep measurements when i am close to target. Other than that ( i swear i don't work for fitbit) i have an aria scale which also then tells me my muscle percentage - though i don't believe this is an accurate as their other products please take note fitbit workers.

Do it for a month. Religiously. No slips. You can eat just watch the deficit is always above what you need. Good luck x

Best Answer

@Danianya81 wrote:

you may start turning your fat to muscle

Fat and muscle are two separate entities: one doesn’t morph into the other. You may be burning fat and building muscle at the same time, though this is not common/easy.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

Basically i have been consistently working out for a year now. It's mostly been cardio but i've done some weights. I did that for an entire year and have switched up my calories and what i've eaten. I've varied my calories from between 1200-2100 (and changed the macros, so the more i ate the more protein and less fat/carbs i tried to eat). When i'd eat between 1200-1400 i'd feel fatigued and tired and the more i eat the more energetic i am and the better my workouts. The less calories i ate the more i lost weight obviously but the less intense my workouts were. About a month ago i started lifting 2-3 times a week while doing cardio 2-3 times a week (on average exercising 5-6 days a week) I have also picked up the intensity of my workouts significantly. (I do things like Insanity, Zumba classes, Elliptical on higher settings, and heavy lifting sets now 5x5's)

I'm about 5'9-5'10 and i weigh 223 right now and in August (when i came to college) i weighed 205-210. My sleep schedule is definitely not great, i stay up late and sleep in until 9-11 most days. Stress is also at higher levels. I hope this is enough information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, i've worn my Fitbit(s) continuously since i've had them (and i've upgraded, i'm on my third). On an average day i burn between 2,500-3,200 depending on the workout i do (cardio or lifting). (The calculator says: BMI=32.9, To maintain 2,877, 15%=2,447, 20%= 2301, 25% 2157) I feel as if these are very high calorie amounts for me! I've been eating between 1800-2,200 and i've lost nothing over the course of 3 weeks (and with how intense i've been working out i feel as if i should be losing something or seeing some progress)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for giving me some advice! I actually use MyFitnessPal religiously! I've used it for maybe 3-4 years so i don't over eat! I count everything i eat every day as well! I've recently begun counting macros as well (which i really love about the app because it gives you a pie chart!). I never knew what the calorie target meant! that's really helpful! 🙂

I also just bought a measuring tape and have begun measuring as well! Hopefully it helps me to see if i've made any progress!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TJsJourney

Sounds to me like if you eat little you lose weight but have a hard time working out and if you eat quite a bit you don't lose weight but can work out. Maybe try to find middle ground. Where you lose weight but can still work out at a decent level (maybe not the highest, but not the lowest either).

Decide what your goal is and go for a plan based on that.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TJsJourney wrote:

On an average day i burn between 2,500-3,200 depending on the workout i do (cardio or lifting).

I checked the number assuming age = 21, height = 5’ 9.5, weight = 223. Your calculated BMR would be 1857 and TDEE 2553 at light level and 2878 at moderate level.

The reason why I asked about your typical step count was to assess your NEAT (calories burned during the day through non-formal activity). You can bust your ass for one hour doing zumba, Insanity or whatever other high-intensity activity, but if you spend the rest of the day sitting at classes and watching Netflix, you may be closer to "light activity" than to "high activity". The lower range reported by Fitbit (2500) would sound realistic to me; for the upper range, you’d probably need a step count of 15k or higher. Active hours and time spent in heart zones are also good indicators of your actual activity level.

At any rate, I’m at a loss to explain why you aren’t losing if eating 1800-2200. Have you been tested for thyroid issues? Quality sleep and stress management are also important for weight loss (and overall health): if you have chronically elevated cortisol levels, weight loss will be impacted.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're not losing weight you're eating too many calories, simple as that. Going too low might make you binge later so I wouldn't make your deficit too extreme. Cheat days or weekend blowouts can completely derail your entire week, so sometimes it's better to think weekly rather than daily. Are you eyeballing portions or measuring them? The difference between the two can add up to huge amounts. Do you log absolutely everything? Drinks, alcohol, snacks, meals, BLTs (bites, licks, and tastes)? Are you going through the motions or are you pushing yourself during your workouts? You want to lose the weight? You've got to be brutally honest with yourself on what your intake and expenditure is. Once you find a deficit that works for you stick with it and recalculate every 15lbs or so. If you're honest about your deficit and hit a stall/plateau it's likely water weight. Trust your deficit and it'll pass usually in a 'woosh'. If it lasts a month, you're eating at maintenance. And learn to say no to food pushers early on, it'll help when the weight finally starts budging and you get the 'omg, you look anorexic' comments from people not used to you at a lower weight. 

Best Answer

I think everyone has provided a lot of great suggestions. My question would be what are you consuming when managing your calories. You can be within your calorie intake for the day but if what you're eating isn't the healthiest, it will make a huge difference. Sounds to me that you are doing well with your workout, but what are your go to foods?

Best Answer
0 Votes

For starters we should collect data to find out your correct caloric balance.

Mine says 3375 for me to consume based on my light exercise program. Although I am visiting a dietitian every week and picking up foods from them. But sticking with the FB rule of thumb, you should consume no higher than 250-1000 calories of that number depending on how not so hungry you are.

I'm always under the level and lose weight intentionally however I also watch out for hunger strikes and I have a protein shake jug in my location.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@josephz2va wrote:

@josephz2va: Just curious: is there a particular reason why you’re using the Harris-Benedict Equation?

MyFitnessPal uses the Mifflin St Jeor equation and explains on their site that "the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation ... is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation".

The Wikipedia article on Harris-Benedict says that "Mifflin et al. published an equation more predictive for modern lifestyles in 1990."

My understanding is that Fitbit also uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation, although it’s not documented anywhere explicitly. The online calculator I normally use is also based on Mifflin-St. Jeor. 

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

When I was in College was when I decided to make the big change and to start calorie counting and hitting the gym. I found that when you work, your sleep schedule, and the types of calories you put in to your body are all important. Considering that I came up with a motto of "I trade bread for beer" I would say that the 40 pounds I dropped in college had a lot to do with swearing off certain beverages, carbs, and making sure I got enough rest. Don't get me wrong, I was always athletic in High School, I swam (butterfly stroke), did basketball, had a job and was involved in a ton of clubs. But I found that my diet was all messed up and I wasn't sleeping enough. I have been through the 4 yr. degree, and an MBA and understand that school makes it hard to be healthy. You have to try to stay away from processed foods so try to pack snacks like fruits and veggies for on the go like carrot sticks, celery sticks, and fruits, stay away from beer and salty foods. Even though they may be low calorie, salt makes you retain water and so do diet sodas which can also increase your sugar cravings. 

You may not be getting enough sleep and your body needs to rest its muscles and metabolize everything you eat so that your stress levels aren't high which is hard considering you are in college. Eating breakfast after I worked out in the morning helped to jolt my weight loss and increasing leafy greens helped boost metabolism. Maybe try switching up your workouts, I would add a swim session, maybe a dance class, or a spin class because your body may be tired of the same workout and needs a new challenge. I often get into these plateaus and slumps and I am still struggling and everything is always easier said than done. GOOD LUCK 

Best Answer

@TJsJourney I've had some pretty tough conversations with people struggling to accomplish their weight loss goals. I've experienced it all firsthand. At my heaviest, I weighed almost 500 lbs. I can throw numbers at you and use the internet to calculate any number of biometrics...I don't feel that's what the issue is here.

I've spoken with a lot of fitness industry pros. They struggle to make lasting connections with their obese clients. I explain that most fit people, never experiencing obesity, will never truly relate to an obese person's journey. What works for you most likely won't work for your obese clients. Knowing your "why" and the lines about integrity are tedious and truthfully aggravating. Dealing with the obese is more like dealing with junkies. An obese person can find their drug by the shelf load, aisle after aisle, any hour of the day.

"Don't lose weight because you hate your body, lose weight because you love your body and with that love carry forward with purpose."

Best Answer

Thanks so much for the advice! I definitely struggle with the salt and processed foods beings I don't have many options! I never really thought of it like that (I was more focused on calorie count that the quality of the food). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

may I ask you how are you doing? a better progress? and if so, what did the trick for you? some particular diet or types of food? I've been having a similar problem, working out almost every day, counting calories, also I've been paying attention to my food choices to see what could work better... any suggestion? I've been trying to eat much less meat and more veggies while still keeping diary and eggs in my diet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to be responding so late, but I can completely identify with this! It's can be very discouraging. I cut down my calories and don't lose anything, and then I try eating more and go up slightly. Two pieces of advice I have for you: 

Take measurements and compare them over time. I used to do them once a week but find it provides a better view to take them once a month, when there's more time for a change. I measure my neck, bicep, chest, waist, hips and thigh. And I don't look at the previous measurements before taking them, so I'm sure to get an accurate measurement without the tendency to pull the tape tighter for the result I want. This helps me identify when I'm gaining muscle. If my measurements are the same or smaller, but the scale went up, I don't kick myself over it!

All I can tell you is to be persistent and stay with it, whatever program you choose. I also have a problem with not getting enough sleep, but unfortunately, my lifestyle doesn't allow me to correct for that. It's true that it's hard to watch friends having instant results when you know that you're doing the same thing. Don't compare yourself to anyone else but you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, I started this journey at 330 lbs about 3 1/2 years ago.  In January of 2018, I was 305 lbs after losing down to 269 at one point.  Just before Halloween, I was 268 again.  I gained about 8 lbs over Halloween and Thanksgiving, and I've got about 4 of it lost, with a goal to be back at 368 at Christmas 2018.

Some information I have found that is not commonly shared:

You have to create a large gap between the calories you burn and the calories you consume.  I am exercising an average of about 2 hours a day, 5 days a week.  I try to get some kind of exercise in EVERY DAY!  My FitBit Charge 2 shows me burning between 3800-4800 calories a day.  My LoseIt app tracks me consuming  an average of about 2100 calories a day.  Why the disparity?  Most common "weight loss" apps advertise that you only need to gap about 300-500 calories to lose weight?  If I eat above 2100 calories, I don't lose weight.  If I eat below 1900 calories, I lose a small amount of weight each week.

I think that FitBit needs to include a body fat calculation in the calories burned to get "closer to the truth".  I watched a video about 10 years ago joining a premier health club that said that 1 lb of muscle burns 9x the calories of 1 lb of fat.  I think the calorie burn calculations should also be adjusted by your body fat % if available, and were probably originally calculated based on a person with a "normal" body fat %.  When I started with a personal trainer, I was about 280 and my body fat % was 37%.  The chart shows an average male at like 24% body fat.  I suspect that I've improved somewhat in 2-3 hours of strength and conditioning classes a week and 3-4 hours of cardio a week, plus 1 hour 20 minutes each day walking my dog.  But, that's not the whole equation.

Read this article....

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html 

In this article, if you lose weight quickly, your body trys to return you to your "heaviest" weight.  Your metabolic rate drops and your body effectively fights you in your attempt to lose weight.  All of us historically heavy people kind of "knew this", but here's the proof in an extended study.  12 of 13 Biggest Loser contestants were at or above their starting Biggest Loser weight when interviewed for that article.  The one who managed to keep her weight off decided to change her whole lifestyle, and accepted the changes that were going to be required to keep the weight off, nearly constant exercise and extreme vigilance on what she ate.

Now, back to my story.  My body has "settled" at about 270 lbs for the past 6 months, if I consistently track my food using LoseIt, it generally stays in a band + or - 3 lbs of about 271.  If I let myself eat anything I want, I gain.  I have to consistently keep a gap of 1500-2000 calories between what I eat in LoseIt, and what I burn in FitBit.  If that gap drops below 1500, I gain.

My plan is to try to "take another step" down after the New Year, cutting my calories to consistently eat about 1700 and keep up the exercise regimen.  My goal is to try to lose another 30 lbs and be around 240 by summer.  At that point, I think I will try to "convince" my body to "settle" at 240 for about 6 months, and then make a run at 210 lbs Spring of 2020.

I know I will need to up the intensity of my workouts, from walking most of the time to running.  It will probably require marathon running or swimming intensity to get down to 210 or below, with less than 1500 calories a day.  I hope at some point to be able to consume a maintenance level of calories, but this is the plan for now.

My BMI index says I need to be 180 lbs at 6' 1".  I doubt I will ever actually be 180, but maybe 240 or 210 is doable with a lot of exercise and food discipline.

There is a reason that only 1-2% of people can lose 100 lbs and really keep it off.  Even people with weight loss surgery regain their weight, if they do not change their eating and exercise habits.  A few of my friends managed to do that as well.  Have the surgery, lose the weight, re-expand their stomachs, and regain it.

Best Answer