Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not losing weight?

ANSWERED

Hi everyone! So I have had my fitbit since Christmas and since then have been working out 4 days a week for an hour- : Spinning for 40min-60 min, started running 20-30 min and Jump roping 15-20 minutes each of those days. I step anywhere from 8,000. And have cut my calories down to 1,000 calories to 1200 a day.. usually having 2 Raw meal replacements breakfast and lunch, healthy fruit/veg or nut snacks in between and a salad and protein for dinner and green vibrance. I have not lost a pound... I'm still 148 pounds (I'm 5'2). Any ideas on what I should do to lose a few pounds. Thank you 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I would use a calculator such as this one, to determine your BMR and double-check your TDEE (which Fitbit is estimating for you). Assuming you’re 30, your BMR would be 1345 (if you are younger, it would be even higher). In that light, consuming 1000-1200 is too little IMO (general recommandation is to eat at least your BMR). If you’d be eating 1400 and expending 1900, you’d still have the necessary deficit to lose 1 lb per month in average. How much does your Fitbit (which model?) says you’re burning in average?

As to your lack of weight loss being explained by muscle gain, it’s highly unlikely. Muscle just don’t appear in a few weeks for no good reason, especially not with a woman eating near or below maintenance and not lifting weights. Jump roping for 15-20 minutes is impressive!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Are you noticing that you clothes are fitting better? I could be that you are putting on more muscle and that is leading to the scales not moving. If your clothes are looser then you are doing something right.

I am guessing that 1,200 calories a day is not enough. I am not a dietician or a nutritionist but that number strikes me as really, really low.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your reply! 🙂  I haven't noticed a change in the way my clothes fit either... The calorie intake is a bit low... I kinda thought if I cut calories out I would have seen a couple pounds difference by now..lol. I see the scale number and I'm like yey I lost a few ounces lol.. or what I gained a pound? The scale isn't budging, It's a bit annoying since I have been putting some effort in. Maybe it might be muscle and I might have to give it a bit more time. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is this exercise routine new? If so, your muscles could be retaining water. It might take a bit but the weight will come off once your body gets used to it.

Best Answer

Thank you! Yes, this is a new workout.. both spinning and running. I usually did Pilates and Yoga.. but have slacked off a lot last year. I appreciate Your input, I'm terrible at drinking water, I love tea thoughSmiley LOL. Would upping my water intake help you think?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would talk to someone about your calorie count. I believe I have read that too few calories can slow down your metabilism which will inhibit weight loss. You want to decrease the number of calories but not so drastically that your body slows things down too much. 

Keep at it with the exercise. I keep a food log and an exercise log. I aim to eat about 500 calories under my daily calorie goal so I can lose a pound a week. I am 5'7" so my base is about 1,500  calories assuming I don't do anything all day. I get in a few 25 minute long walks and then 30-45 minute son the treadmill and lift weights. When I get that in I aim for 2,000-2,200 calories a day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would use a calculator such as this one, to determine your BMR and double-check your TDEE (which Fitbit is estimating for you). Assuming you’re 30, your BMR would be 1345 (if you are younger, it would be even higher). In that light, consuming 1000-1200 is too little IMO (general recommandation is to eat at least your BMR). If you’d be eating 1400 and expending 1900, you’d still have the necessary deficit to lose 1 lb per month in average. How much does your Fitbit (which model?) says you’re burning in average?

As to your lack of weight loss being explained by muscle gain, it’s highly unlikely. Muscle just don’t appear in a few weeks for no good reason, especially not with a woman eating near or below maintenance and not lifting weights. Jump roping for 15-20 minutes is impressive!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel your pain.

I lost 4.7lbs in the first few weeks but in the last 2 weeks I have only lost 1/2 lb.   I am doing karate 2/2.5 hours a week, trying to walk as much as I can, doing the horses.  Calorie intake is FAR less than it was, but i have only really cut out the bad things (alchol during the week, chocolate, crisps etc), smaller portions etc.   BUT I let myself have a night off a week, and have a drink and eat naughty stuff if I want to.  I had a bit of a pig out last week, if I'm honest, and had a few drinks friday and saturday.  Could this be why I lost nothing this week?   I am not the sort of person who can 'go on a diet' I need to find a lifestyle that allows me to get to my goal and stay there, if you know what I mean.

It does sound as though maybe you are doing too much too fast, too few calories too.  Your body is probably going AHHHH... better conserver what we have.  You could even be burning up muscle instead of fat.   I would drink more, eat more (but good stuff, maybe more protein?), and just calm down a little with the exercise until you get more aerobically fit. 

Good luck,

Mouse

Love food and drink !
Best Answer
0 Votes

@mauimama wrote:

Thank you! Yes, this is a new workout.. both spinning and running. I usually did Pilates and Yoga.. but have slacked off a lot last year. I appreciate Your input, I'm terrible at drinking water, I love tea thoughSmiley LOL. Would upping my water intake help you think?

Upping water always helps 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I follow your philosophy. I have my planner set to 1/2 a pound a week because I know that I will fail miserably if I cut out all candy, potato chips and the like. I am not trying to lose a ton of weight, 10-15 pounds, mainly for cosmetic reasons. My Doctor is comfortable with my weight and wants me to maintain. I wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds so I am working towards that gradually.

I lost 4 pounds pretty fast and only 1/2 a pound last week. I am not stressing over it because I know I had a really bad Thursday and Friday, I documented it.

Best Answer
0 Votes