Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd ball

Hello, 

I am trying to eat 2500 to 3000 calories a day, which is what is recommended. I had a partical blood test since heart disease runs in my family and the numbers weren't great. Anyway I eat healthy now but to start only consumed around 1800 calories. I am now up to 2100 to 2300. Eating great amount of food isn't easy when your a thin guy. Does the 2500 to 3000 include 10k steps a day or is it based on no activity? Trying to guage where I really need to be at for calories a day. Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @SunsetRunner 

Your calorie intake depends on your age, general health and activity level. Click to read more

The suggested calories per day is merely a guideline. If you're concerned, you should see a health care professional and have them give you a better idea of what you should be eating. With heart disease in your family, you might need to be more careful with what you're consuming. Maybe a full blood work up would be helpful, as you'd know just where to concentrate your efforts. The main thing is, you're wanting to improve your eating habits. Be proud of yourself.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I am trying to eat 2500 to 3000 calories a day, which is what is recommended. I had a partical blood test since heart disease runs in my family and the numbers weren't great. 

Who "recommended" you should eat between 2500 and 3000 calories? The number of calories you should eat depends on your goal in terms of weight management: do you need/want to lose, maintain or gain weight.

There is no direct relation between calories eaten and heart disease. There is an indirect relation in that calories eaten affect your body weight, and excess body weight (especially excess body fatness) is in turn a risk fact for heart disease.

Physical activity has a protective effect against heart disease and can improve your cholesterol levels (if this is the issue in your blood test). I see from your profile your average step count is about 8000. Maybe you could increase it over time.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I am not sure for your specific situation it should be quantity over quality. if you are not trying to gain weight or lose weight, I don't know that you need to track how much you are eating but more what you are eating. eat food that your heart doesn't have to work twice as hard to help digest, eat lower sodium and high nutrition food to sustain your organ. If there is worry because of blood work, you may want to talk to a dietitian for strategies on what is best for you based on age, overall health and history. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer