Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing Motivation

ANSWERED

Soooo, like most everyone else on here, i need to lose weight.  I have set a goal for myself to lose 40lbs.  If you look at the height/weight charts, it says I should lose 100.  I realize these charts dont consider muscle mass, BMI, etc., but I just want to get this right.  I am terrified of failing which I think is my major motivator.  I have tried all of the gimmicks, pills, fad diets etc to makethis happen and have only had success once and that was with medication controlling the weight loss - I was not exctly in the drivers seat making happen.  I've even considered surgery but I know deep down this is not the answer... Now, with FitBit, I am able to control my behavior and am in charge of how much I do or dont do and how much I eat or dont...I like that....its giving me control back which in turn gives me my life back, I;m loking and feeling better etc...my question is now though - how do I stay motivated?  I have been at this everyday for almost a month now and have lost about 10 lbs (which is great)  but its only a drop in the bucket.  I dont want to lose this and be back a year from now talking about how I gained it back again - I really want this to become more of  lifestyle and not just a 3 month venture back into the weight loss pool....any idea's?  While I Love love love my Fitbit, I look forward to the day when I can walk out of the house without it on and not be terrified of not knowing how many steps I took, how many miles I walked or fear not logging every last bite.  I know its a process, but I am scared- I really want to get this right!! All thoughts, idea's ad suggestions are welcome. Thanks. 🙂

Moderator: Format Edited

Best Answer
3 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

First off, don't follow the BMI. BMI is outdated. It even says I should weigh 150 lbs for normal weight. Skin and bones weight. You should follow your body composition if you're looking to change. 

Description Women Men

Essential fat10–13%2–5%
Athletes14–20%6–13%
Fitness21–24%14–17%
Average25–31%18–24%
Obese32%+25%+

If you'd like to stay motivated, best thing to do is create yourself an achieveable routine. It's totally possible to change your body composition with diet and motivated exercise.

=================

Exercise - Two things to work on daily. Cardio and Strength. For cardio, I recommend the Elliptical with a polar strap. You can complete the WHO 10,000 steps in under 99 minutes. But the key is to use HR Interval for those 99 minutes set for the default heart rate (ie: 130 - 148). Strength can be achieved if you're either with a personal trainer or with a home training program. I lose between 1 and 3 percent a day of body fat as long as Diet is in control.

Diet - Maintaining control of your diet is also key. Donuts, Sugary Foods, Fried Foods, Starchy Foods, and a few others should never be eaten. You can check with a dietitian or a personal trainer on a list of foods that are recommended to eat. But maintain control. Even holiday times and birthdays. Maintaining control is key to lose weight but also body fat.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Hi there terpgrace,

I am just speaking from my own personal experience, but even when I get to where I want to be, I think I still want to have my FB on my wrist.  I see it as a tool in my life and I have come to rely upon it greatly.  I think that I still will rely on it even when I have met my weight goal because I have become very interested in my fitness stats and I am sure that I will continue to progress, challenge myself, and tweak things as time goes on.  In fact, I have the Flex now and I am considering upgrading to the Charge HR.  My fitness level has improved to the point that I am now interested in the heart rate monitor feature as well as the floor counting feature.  As far as motivation goes, I think we all go through periods where we are very motivated and times when we are not.  I try to set very small, realistic goals for myself so that I can see progress and not feel that my goals are impossible.  I have made a lot of fitbit friends on this site and participate in groups, challenges, and discussions to maintain my interest.  I have had several slumps since starting FB, but this is the first time that I have started a new fitness trend and not let the slumps take over and get to me.  I have stuck with it and I think that is because FB offers so much in one package.  You can use as much or as little as you want to, but it is all there; fitness, nutrition, community, etc. with integrated software to pull it all together.  Hope this helps.  Please feel free to friend me if you like and please check out our monthly challenge group.

Regards,

Lynn

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

best advice i can give is that, whatever changes you're making, make sure they can last a lifetime.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

Hello and congratulations on your success so far!  I'm in the same boat and really want these small changes now to stick for the rest of my life.  What has helped me is getting my friends on FitBit and adding them to my leaderboard.  This way I can't get around being lazy for a day because they can see my steps.  It holds me accountable and I'm super competitive so beating everyone and staying at #1 has really encouraged me to keep at it. Good luck!

Best Answer

First off, don't follow the BMI. BMI is outdated. It even says I should weigh 150 lbs for normal weight. Skin and bones weight. You should follow your body composition if you're looking to change. 

Description Women Men

Essential fat10–13%2–5%
Athletes14–20%6–13%
Fitness21–24%14–17%
Average25–31%18–24%
Obese32%+25%+

If you'd like to stay motivated, best thing to do is create yourself an achieveable routine. It's totally possible to change your body composition with diet and motivated exercise.

=================

Exercise - Two things to work on daily. Cardio and Strength. For cardio, I recommend the Elliptical with a polar strap. You can complete the WHO 10,000 steps in under 99 minutes. But the key is to use HR Interval for those 99 minutes set for the default heart rate (ie: 130 - 148). Strength can be achieved if you're either with a personal trainer or with a home training program. I lose between 1 and 3 percent a day of body fat as long as Diet is in control.

Diet - Maintaining control of your diet is also key. Donuts, Sugary Foods, Fried Foods, Starchy Foods, and a few others should never be eaten. You can check with a dietitian or a personal trainer on a list of foods that are recommended to eat. But maintain control. Even holiday times and birthdays. Maintaining control is key to lose weight but also body fat.

Best Answer

Hi there terpgrace,

I am just speaking from my own personal experience, but even when I get to where I want to be, I think I still want to have my FB on my wrist.  I see it as a tool in my life and I have come to rely upon it greatly.  I think that I still will rely on it even when I have met my weight goal because I have become very interested in my fitness stats and I am sure that I will continue to progress, challenge myself, and tweak things as time goes on.  In fact, I have the Flex now and I am considering upgrading to the Charge HR.  My fitness level has improved to the point that I am now interested in the heart rate monitor feature as well as the floor counting feature.  As far as motivation goes, I think we all go through periods where we are very motivated and times when we are not.  I try to set very small, realistic goals for myself so that I can see progress and not feel that my goals are impossible.  I have made a lot of fitbit friends on this site and participate in groups, challenges, and discussions to maintain my interest.  I have had several slumps since starting FB, but this is the first time that I have started a new fitness trend and not let the slumps take over and get to me.  I have stuck with it and I think that is because FB offers so much in one package.  You can use as much or as little as you want to, but it is all there; fitness, nutrition, community, etc. with integrated software to pull it all together.  Hope this helps.  Please feel free to friend me if you like and please check out our monthly challenge group.

Regards,

Lynn

Best Answer

I dont knwo how to friend on here - can you friendme and I accept or...? Any insight would be much appreciated. 🙂 Thx!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I sent you an invite.  If you want to friend someone, just click on their name which which will take you to their page and click on 'add friend'.  hth

Best Answer
0 Votes
Agree 100%.
Bmi is outdated and doesn't account for muscle mass..

I use waist to hip ratio.

Best Answer
Best Answer

I understand your dillema. I too need to lose 100 pounds. Ive done all the diets, half of ech meal, etc and im always disappointed in myself and i go to over eating. I even went to one of those fat camps two years ago. While there i did great but afterward i went back to the same old habits. Ive gained 15 lbs since going there. I need motivation and support. I just got my fitbit. So far i like it. but i overate yesterday big time. I would love to keep in  touch with you and we can encourage one another through this.

Dale

Best Answer

@terpgrace: I'm looking to lose 48 lbs.  I've added myfitnesspal to my regimen and am finding it helps me to keep track of my caloric intake.  I haven't weighed myself yet --- I'm afraid to be disappointed --- but hope soon to get over the fear and step on the scale.  I'm aiming for one pound/week as a reasonable start to losing weight and am hopeful that this weight loss will inspire me to keep going.  I also need to increase my steps in order to burn more calories.  It's hard work and you and I need to keep at it.  FitBit helps but ultimately it's our efforts that make the difference; FitBit is a useful tool and certainly helps to motivate as we see the results on our charts.  Please stick with it and I will too.  Best of luck to both of us; keep on steppin' and looking for ways to increase those steppin' results.  Golda T.

Best Answer

10 pounds is 1/4th of your goal, that's awesome! I stay motivated by promising myself a nonfood treat every ten pounds, ie. clothes, a new book, a movie. Good luck to you, your off to a great start!

Best Answer

Another poster said this:

"Donuts, Sugary Foods, Fried Foods, Starchy Foods, and a few others should never be eaten. "

I realize that this works for many,  many  people.    But  I have tried this over and over too many times to count with so many diets   and for  me,  I can only do this a limited time  before I binge on the very foods that are forbidden.    This pattern is repeated over and over.  (and over and over ad nauseum)

I lose weight and then gain it back with a vengeance. 

I have learned from past experience and other  sources that it is  better  for me to learn to eat the foods I  want/crave   WITH MODERATION.     Of course I eat healthy foods as well  but if I want a Whopper Jr.  I have it and count the calories.   I have even been able to forego the fries and  soda-- just the hamburger satisfies me.     Nothing is off limits on any day if I just count the calories.    This way I have been able to cut way back on  sweets (my downfall)  because I know I can have a small portion.      Just don't cut your calories back too aggressively--it makes it harder. 

Of course,  I have some up and down days  (calorie wise) but I am going to try this for a while.   Fitbit is a great motivator as well --it  ties  your activity with  your calories. 

Good luck OP--  on whatever method or plan you choose.    I understand your fear but I am telling myself  to find something I can do as a lifestyle  (healthy eating, small portions, no foods off limits, exercise)  and then no need to be afraid. 

Best Answer

I started my journey in September and have since lost 50 lbs, with another 80 odd to go. I have found lots of sneaky ways to eat better, and lower calorie. Using passata for pasta sauce, and only lean cuts of meat. I also have found lower calorie versions of treats to have that make me feel like I'm indulging even though I'm not. My most recent is mixing diet hot chocolate powder with vanilla yogurt (I use Muller light here in the UK, and Options packets). It goes all puddingy and tastes nice but is just over 100 calories and has all the benefits of yogurt. 

Otherwise, I keep focused on my goals but reminding myself why I want this (to be healthy to try for a baby next year), and how good I am feeling now. I also have made it well known in my family and friends that I'm doing this, which makes me really motivated to not fail publicly. That is not everyone's choice, which is fair, but just something that helps keep me on track. 

When in doubt, trust yourself. You got this! If you believe in yourself and know you can, then half the battle is already won. 🙂

Best Answer

Hi All,

Would love to be involved with ongoing motivation of one another. Feel free to add me if you'd like to keep one another on track, share tips, recipes etc.

Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree about snacks in moderation. We tend to crave what we are forbidden, so I don't have forbidden foods, just limited. Like mint chocolate chip ice cream. I wanted it yesterday, so I had some, instead of dinner. Not the healthiest obviously but nothing else would've gotten me throught that craving.

Best Answer

Welcome to the forum!  You said it......this is a life change.  Not a quickie, fad, weekender, lose 100pds in ten days.  It's a way of life, and it's not easy.  So once you get going and that weight starts to drop off.....keep going and don't look back.  And everything you've tried and it worked, then it didn't.....was yesterday's news.

Stay connected and keep up the good work!  

Sincerely,

Working My Abs

Burdie
FitHR Charge....Weight Watchers....Meltdown Challenge....Samsung......Windows 8....Educator.....Lucille Roberts
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmmm. That is interesting. I walk away from things that I crave all the time.  I eat healthy food instead and the craving goes away. Ice cream instead of dinner feeds the sugar addiction and deprives your cells of needed nutrition. Might want to try walking away and feeding your body well next time a craving happens by. 

Best,

Barbara 

Best Answer

The BMI is not out dated. That is probably one of the most important charts you need to go by. Your height and weight chart has been updated a couple of years ago. Follow what your doctor says anyway. Always consult a doctor before you lose weight. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I was in the same boat as of May 2013. I moved and started to see new doctors and one asked me if I thought about weight loss surgery. I did every once in awhile. He talked to me and referred me to a bariatric surgon in the area. I went and saw him and started my journey. I ended up with a different surgon in the long run however, I had the gastric sleeve. I am telling you it was the best thing I ever did. I have lost 65 lbs since January 7, 2014 and I have 45-50 more lbs to lose. I am having a hard time. I have grandkids that live with me and candy comes in the house and I have a shortness for chocolate. So, no more candy allowed in my house of of April 25, 2015. If you keep going on a roller coaster and can't lose it. Check out the alternitive and let that start you off for a healthier life. Good luck!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes