Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am doing it all right but am not losing weight - what is going on?

ANSWERED

I am 67 and am reaching my 10,000 steps everyday plus some, body pump 3 x a week and stay within my calorie limit - about 1,200 and I have been doing this for 6 weeks now and the weight is so slow to come off.  I am eating a healthy diet, too.  Any suggestions out there -- is this age related??

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You don't need all of those steps, it takes time, I'm 74 and mine was 3 years of watching what I eat, changing my eating, lowering carbs and I have averaged 10,535 lifetime steps over 27 months and dropped 35 lb and still 14lb to go. I remember how long it took to gain the weight. My best measure of near success. was my waist, I'm now 36" jeans from 42" slacks.

Also keep in mind that 70-80% of the body needs are your BMR, the just keeping alive calories and exercise and genetics is the rest. This BMR calculator is the formula that Fitbit uses and is within 4 calories of my Fitbit BMR because if you are aiming for 1,200 calories I feel your body will be thinking it is being starved and keep going into "saving mode". I'm no doctor but Fitbit and all of the other data is estimates only. The US food standards allow a 20% variation on calories on the label so the whole system is there to "beat" us.  BMR Calculator

A quote from a Fitbitter "The fork is mightier than the foot"...... and portion sizes are to blame in most cases.

My favourite post on these forums is a lovely franchised carrot cake and soy latte I had one day... 800 calories.. My son, who is a road bikie had a slice and ate it as 4 portions over 4 days. He watches what he eats, he used to be a fitness instructor. We don't like to admit it but if we eat the correct foods we don't get hungry.  For me to "walk" that off, I would need to walk 13,500 steps, 5.5 miles and 2.25 hours. I enjoyed the "bite", but 5 minutes of that for 2.25 hours of moderate walking, what a penalty.....

Jonathan Bailor's new book "The Calorie Myth" really puts everything into perspective "Eat more, weigh less with quality calories"

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

I don't what you are eating, but have you given any thought to whether gluten, dairy or sugar (including natural sugars and "hidden" sugars in savory foods) could be the reason why? I know that when I eat gluten, dairy or sugar, I will continue to gain weight no matter how much I exercise.

Best Answer

Suzy, In my case it was age, thyroid and stress related. I reduced both my calories and my exercise and finally started losing... honest, I dropped everything but getting steps and let my fitbit tell me how many calories I could have. You can see my logs if you like, my logs are visible to friends.

Inga
Best Answer
0 Votes

You don't need all of those steps, it takes time, I'm 74 and mine was 3 years of watching what I eat, changing my eating, lowering carbs and I have averaged 10,535 lifetime steps over 27 months and dropped 35 lb and still 14lb to go. I remember how long it took to gain the weight. My best measure of near success. was my waist, I'm now 36" jeans from 42" slacks.

Also keep in mind that 70-80% of the body needs are your BMR, the just keeping alive calories and exercise and genetics is the rest. This BMR calculator is the formula that Fitbit uses and is within 4 calories of my Fitbit BMR because if you are aiming for 1,200 calories I feel your body will be thinking it is being starved and keep going into "saving mode". I'm no doctor but Fitbit and all of the other data is estimates only. The US food standards allow a 20% variation on calories on the label so the whole system is there to "beat" us.  BMR Calculator

A quote from a Fitbitter "The fork is mightier than the foot"...... and portion sizes are to blame in most cases.

My favourite post on these forums is a lovely franchised carrot cake and soy latte I had one day... 800 calories.. My son, who is a road bikie had a slice and ate it as 4 portions over 4 days. He watches what he eats, he used to be a fitness instructor. We don't like to admit it but if we eat the correct foods we don't get hungry.  For me to "walk" that off, I would need to walk 13,500 steps, 5.5 miles and 2.25 hours. I enjoyed the "bite", but 5 minutes of that for 2.25 hours of moderate walking, what a penalty.....

Jonathan Bailor's new book "The Calorie Myth" really puts everything into perspective "Eat more, weigh less with quality calories"

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Hi Suzy,

Unfortunately age does play a big part in weight loss. Every year your required calorie intake requirements decline, and it gets harder to excercise effectively so it is a double-edged sword.

Body pump three times a week is a great workout - % lean muscle is a huge factor is losing weight. If you have not been doing this for very long, the muscle gains might be overriding the fat lost, but this effect will be temporary - keep at it! 1200 calories might not be enough for your muscles to adequately recover so consider consuming a little more on those days - everything in balance.

The fitbit can be effective in calculating calories burned if you are honest in your user profile and usage, but counting calories in can be hard. There a a lot of bad calorie counting apps that rely on data provided by users - these can lead to severe under counting. However you did mention that your weight loss is slow - this indicates you are going in the right direction and slow weight loss is always the best way.

If you reply with your country i'd be happy to suggest good methods to estimate your food calories effectively.

Good luck!

Karen.

Best Answer

Thank you.  I feel inspired all over again.

Best Answer

Keep us up to date and this link to the 65's and Fit Group is all about quality of life as we get into the next decade. It's worth having a look at, not competitive, just a helping site.

Here is the link

This is the aim.

TRYING TO BE AS FIT AND HEALTHY AS WE CAN. DO NOT LET AGE STOP YOU. YOU ARE NOT OLD JUST OLDER.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Aren't you nice to take the time to answer so thoughtfully.  I have been doing body pump for several years but have gone up in my weights in the past several months so that may help.  I live in the USA and would love to know sources to check calories more accurately.  I am using the FOOD log on FitBit but a lot of time I have to invent what I ate cause they don't have a food that matches. 

I am really into the fitbit program and feel more in control using it than I ever have before.  I was 116 lbs till I hit 54 and then got put on some meds which ballooned me up to 165 - I am currenty at 157 and I want my body back.....you get the picture, I am sure.  So, thanks for the info and the encouragement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Suzy,

I have used MyFitnessPal and MyNetDiary - I prefer my fitness pal for the food database (I'm in Australia) but both were logical to use and have American data too.  Make sure you only enter your food not your excercise as the fitbit will measure that.

The first week can be a bit tedious but after that most foods you need will be in the recently used list so it gets easier. Remember to add all drinks and snacks - they might seem insignificant but they add up!

Talk to your doctor about the medication - often a different brand with the same active ingredients will have different side effects - never hurts to ask 🙂

Keep up the good work - anything that keeps you healthy is worth the effort.

Karen

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am with Weight Watchers and it is one of the most healthiest meals you could eat. You do not need to cut out the carbs. As a matter of fact, it is the carbs that are filling me up. Read the labels on each package you buy. Try to avoid carbonated drinks, if you want carbs buy bread that as the lowest carbs in it. Have high fiber foods. Cut out on ice-cream and grapes. I was gaining weight with eating those foods. Now I eat grapes once or 3 times a week. Ice cream if I fill like a treat I buy the McDonalds in a cup not a cone. Eat plenty of power foods which are Arnold Sandwich Thins. I make my own pizza with that. But do not eat the bag. Eat alot of veggies and fruits such as apples & pears & cantaloupe. These have their own sugar and is very healthy for you. See if this helps you let me know how you are doing if you like. Pizza & chines food are very fattening and try to stay away from those restaurants.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just finished posting you above. Weight Watchers does not count calories. It counts points so this way you will not feel deprive of eating any foods. All you need to do is count it. I am a fitbit user and I never program what I eat on their website as I do not believe in calories that is a very old fashion method. Join a Weight Watcher group and you will lose plenty of weight. I have some members in my meetings and they are in their 80's and lost over 80 lbs. I believe yes it is harder as you get older but their program works and you will lose your weight without counting calories. All you need is a measuring utensils. An apple should be the size of your fists, A tablespoon is the size of your thumb. You protein portions are the size of a deck of cards which, is the palm of your hand. That is what they calculate portion control. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When your fat is converted to muscle there is a weight gain - a good thing! As well as one ages, it becomes harder to loose weight or at least go to a weight we think we should be. (I would really like to be the 110 person I was, but that isn't going to happen at my present age, so I will attempt to get to 124 which is reasonable for me) What you should ask yourself is: are you healthy? Have you been ill/colds/flus? Do you feel up most of the time? Are you getting the rest you need? Arer you being honest with your calorie count?   If you can say, yes/no/yes/yes/yes - then you are doing just fine.  The body slows down, the blood pressure shows a tad higher, but all being equal, you appear to be doing just fine.  Enjoy you new 'feeling', smile and say "hello World, watch out, I am who I am and I love it!" ;>)))

Best Answer
0 Votes