Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over 3,000 calories/day?

ANSWERED

I really don't understand something... Fitbit says I should be burning about 3,300 calories a day. I'm a big guy, over 300 lbs, fairly active (walk, run everyday, bodyweight exercises, lift weights, etc.), have good blood pressure, etc. I just can't lose weight!

I track my calories well, I have been for years. A BAD day for me is 2,400 calories. I typically eat about 1,800 - 2,000 calories per day. 

My question is, how does Fitbit say I burn over 3k calories a day (I understand BMR, etc.), but I don't lose weight only eating 2k calories. Diet is fairly clean, I drink plenty of water, no soda for years. That's a 1k calorie defect per day!

Anybody have any insight, a similar situation, or success stories related to this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

With fitbit, the bigger you are, the less accurate it becomes. But 300lbs is only 140kg so it is not like you are super heavy either. 

Make sure you also have the settings correct. You have your correct height, weight and sex logged. Then make sure you have "harder" on for losing weight. 

It could be fitbit, but it could also be the settings are wrong for you.

It also depends on how long you have been eating 2k calories a day for. Sometimes our metabolic rate slows down if we extreme diet for a long time so even if you are 2k calories in deficient everyday, you may not lose weight. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Fitbit uses your age, weight, activity to guess what your metabolic rate is.  It  can be flawed and it can't determine how much of your weight is muscle and how much is fat.    You know your body best, so use your own experience and not the Fitbit suggestion

Best Answer

It drives me nuts that no one ever mentions height.  Maybe it would be helpful sometimes to DUCKDUCKGO the question of the perfect number of calories for J to eat to maintain weight for his gender, height, age,  and how many to lose, with moderate activity.  Don't get too involved with the number of calories used, and double check number of calories you are eating.

Best Answer

With fitbit, the bigger you are, the less accurate it becomes. But 300lbs is only 140kg so it is not like you are super heavy either. 

Make sure you also have the settings correct. You have your correct height, weight and sex logged. Then make sure you have "harder" on for losing weight. 

It could be fitbit, but it could also be the settings are wrong for you.

It also depends on how long you have been eating 2k calories a day for. Sometimes our metabolic rate slows down if we extreme diet for a long time so even if you are 2k calories in deficient everyday, you may not lose weight. 

Best Answer