Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical disability

I have a physical disability and I've just started using my fitbit. I'm just wondering does anyone else with a physical disability find it hard to find ways to lose weight because I know I do even though I am using canadian crutches to get around. If you have any suggestions that would help me that be awesome.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi Ashlee. I am a retired nurse, but I don't know what canadian crutches are. Please tell me about them.

So glad you got a Fit Bit. It really makes me get up and move when I look at it and see that I have only a few hundred steps. You can decide what your daily goals should be, and then decide how much farther you should try to walk each day. As you probably know, losing weight means you have to burn more calories than you eat. You might try tracking your calories, too. You can also do that on the Fit bit site. I've always been told weight loss = burning more calories than you consume. Good luck! Let us know how you are doing 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Their the ones that don't go under your arm
Have a great day. 😃
Best Answer
0 Votes

I fractured my shin bone once while I was in training and had the same crutches, I used to go swimming every day as I couldn't take any impact, other things I would do were sit ups and press ups. It was important at the time that I didn't let my fitness level drop though.

I don't know what you are able to do, but I found swimming to be really good. I hope you find something you can enjoy, that is the main thing 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

My whole left leg is but I'm working on it's improvement. Some personal training programs have a modified system for parts I can't do like jumping jacks or burpee lunges or jump tucks where you have to jump a whole lot for 30 minutes a night.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have just started using the fitbit, and I had the same question. I have serious spinal scoliosis from a fracture and have been barely able to walk for some time. I am just now getting back into a bit of exercise using a back brace, but there are some days when I just can't stand the pain and need to ease off. However, I do go to physiotherapy twice a week and perform the exercises given me there twice every day. These are core strengthening and stretching exercises, mostly done laying down. But there is nothing on my fitbit to compensate for this healing work. I think there should be, because some of us can't stand the shock that walking gives our joints and injuries. I did find "stretching" exercises in search and started to use this. The damage to my body has caused weight gain, but it would be nice to be given other ways of losing weight besides starvation vs. "steps". Also, no credit for bending, cleaning cat litter or the kitchen, or just standing in place, all of which just about kill me some days.

Best Answer
0 Votes