Please delete this thread.

ANSWERED

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@GlennFreemanwrote:
I will just do the calculations myself and deduct a certain amount of calories per day from FitBit's numbers until I'm maintaining my wright. But, FitBit should build these individual/adaptable aspects into their system so individuals can maintain their weight accurately.

@GlennFreeman -- I think that's a good approach -- that's what I've been doing.  As to your idea for improvement, I'd suggest posting it in the Feature Suggestions where people can vote on it.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
19 REPLIES 19

Incidentally, a related topic on adaptive thermogenesis was started yesterday by @Daves_Not_Here. As you lose a large amount of weight in a relatively short period of time, your metabolism slows down. Unfortunately, Fitbit doesn’t take that into account, so you’ll have to make adjustments. The paper referred to in the topic explains in great details what typically happens.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

A couple years ago, I meticulously tracked my input and compared it to expected weight loss. I found my Surge overestimated the calories burned by about 15%. The Zip underestimated them by about 15% and the Charge 2 was spot on. These ranges do change a bit with activity level and other unknown factors.

I haven't logged my food since about August, 2016 except for a few days to check macros. Now, I step on the scale each day. If I gain a little, I eat less. If I lose a little I eat more. My scale broke in August and I didn't start weighing myself until Jan. I just used the notch I used on my belt as an indicator.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes

A workaround if your goal is maintenance would be to create a food plan for weight loss with the "easier" (= lowest) intensity. The deficit in that plan should be pretty close to the amount by which Fitbit now overestimates your energy expenditure.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@GlennFreemanwrote:
That is a nice story but does not address the issue of how to tweak the individual accuracy of the FitBit system, if needed, while still using it. Everybody does not have the same metabolism so manually shooting a certain amount of calories per day, in order to Maintain my weight, seems the only option while still using my FitBit.

The way I did it was to carefully measure my calories consumed each day. I kept a running total of the calories consumed, the calories burned and the weight lost. I discovered it took about 3,800 calories to lose a pound.  On the Zip it took about 3,200 calories to  lose a pound. 

I multiplied the Fitbit deficit by 3500/3800 to find the actual deficit for the Surge. I multiplied the Zip deficit by 3500/3200 to find the actual deficit.

The practical way to use this concept is if a 1,000 calorie deficit doesn't work, don't be afraid to increase it as long as you consume more than your BMR. 

For maintaining, you can start with your Fitbit calories consumed. If you lose weight at that goal, then consistently shoot for 500 calories above the Fitbit number. If you gain weight at that goal, then consistently shoot for 500 calories below the Fitbit number. 

Truthfully, I just step on the scale each day and adjust add or skip meals between meals. 

Another method is to use the belt notch you use and forget about the scale. 

Best Answer

@GlennFreeman -- I followed almost exactly the same path as @GershonSurge -- I carefully tracked my weight against calories logged in Fitbit to determine if I would lose a pound for every 3,500 calorie deficit.  Initially, I lost weight slightly faster than predicted.  Recently, I've lost less than predicted.

I agree with @GershonSurge 's approach for weight management - the scale is the final and authoritative arbiter.  If your goal is to proactively manage your weight, you can weigh yourself and make adjustments accordingly.  Of course, your weight swings within a 4 pound water window, so Trendweight is a valuable tool to add.

As to tweaking the Fitbit calorie consumption recommendations, you can set a manual calorie target in the Food Plan, but it doesn't adjust according to your activity level.  If you would like that enhancement, you can submit it as a feature request, and Fitbit will promptly not implement it.

Just kidding!  I don't speak for Fitbit.  However, given that you can very easily achieve your objectives today with the current functionality, I doubt Fitbit is motivated to invest to development a feature that hardly anyone would use (based on current lack of requests for this feature), and therefore would not increase incremental sales or company valuation. 

Best Answer

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes

The metabolism changes every day. So does the accuracy of logging food. How would you like it if you missed logging a meal one day and Fitbit adjusted your calorie needs down?

In life, I've learned to deal with what is rather than how I'd like things to be. The Fitbit cannot prevent me from losing weight. Neither can the lack of a scale. I did without one for five months or so and ended up at the same weight I started. 

Mike Shanahan, former coach for the Denver Bronco's taught me this lesson in one brief glance. They were in the running for the Super Bowl. One of the star players was injured,  and it was obvious he would be out of the game. He didn't even say the usual word. He just looked at the playlist.

My motto when things go wrong is "Oh well." Then I look at what to do next.

How can you deal with this very minor adversity in life? We've told you how. Just adjust your deficit to make up for Fitbit's inaccuracy. It's called calibration.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When relying on Charge 2 accuracy I couldn't stop losing weight. What helped was starting using the Trendweight website and logging my weight. It gives enough input and good prediction for you to adjust the amount of food and smooth the trend line. Blindly trusting the numbers the tracker shows isn't a good idea as we can't all assume a single math formula will magically work for everyone. To be honest, I don't take much care about numbers produced by Fitbit ( although there's one thing I try to follow - a number of calories must be higher than time so if it's let's say 16:00 I expect to see the number higher than 1600 😉 Little quirk but works for me ) and care way more about the food I eat ( quantity and quality ). MFP + Trendweight do a much better job for me when it comes to the maintenance ( at least for now ).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GlennFreemanwrote:
But I'm attempting to get a response from FitBit in regard to accounting for different metabolism rates and allowing for such adjustments within the FitBit system, automatically.

It is very easy for me to shoot under 100-200 calories everyday, but why not build this into the FitBit system itself? The numbers we provide should interact automatically, and adjust, based on comparing weight to calories ... it should be automatic and a part of the system.

Again, the issue is not me, it is the accuracy of the FitBit system, which should be more flexible and adaptable ... updating for each individual based on the numbers each person provides (tracking, weight & calories).

@GlennFreeman -- good luck with that (getting a response).  You can submit New Feature Requests in the forum for others to vote on.  But, this feature has not even been suggested yet, so I believe there are two chances of it being adopted in the next, oh, 50 or 60 years - none, and absolutely none.

I would like to gently razz you thusly:  you used the word "should" three times in this post.  To quote Stuart Smalley, there you go shoulding all over yourself.  The world and the Fitbit app is not as it should be, but rather as it is.  I think @GershonSurge said it better than I can.

Also, you assert "the issue is not me".  Hmm, let's let that sink in for a bit.  OK, time's up.  Anytime you say the issue is not you, it's you.  This issue is absolutely, positively, unequivocally, categorically, indisputably, distinctly, 100% you.  You, yourself, and you.  Nobody else (which is totally cool with me, usually the issue is me, glad it's somebody else for a change)

But wait!  I could very well be wrong AGAIN.  Let's check back in a year, and if anything has changed in this regard, I'll stand corrected.

Best Answer

@GlennFreeman,

How do you know the weight you are trying to maintain is right for your body?

How would Fitbit know you are planning to skip a day's run? How would they know you decided to run 10 miles instead of 5? 

Maintaining is simple. Just eat the right diet and it automatically adjusts to the proper weight. It even adjusts if you make a definite plan to maintain while doing resistance training. It helps to talk to your inner coach who will relay this to your subconscious.

If a person doesn't fill their plates with excess fat, sugar, salt, any animal products or free oils like olive oil, the stomach sends the right signals and weight control becomes automatic.

Quit stepping on the piss ants while the elephants are running all over you. Another way to put this is quit majoring in the minor. Even if Fitbit gave you exactly what you want, there are other factors several magnitudes higher that would negate the effectiveness.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GlennFreeman,

You are right. The forum is useless. What will you do now? You are equally useless to us if you think we are useless. Now you can blame us because you are overweight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GlennFreemanwrote:
I was asking for technical help and I clearly IDed a problem with the FitBit system ... and no one on the forum was able to address the issue directly. The forum is useless, in this regard.

To be fair @GlennFreeman, this particular forum is a general weight loss community and not for technical issues with the dashboard and various apps -- I don't think it's even monitored by Fitbit staff; although, I think occasionally moderators will move posts the the appropriate Product Support forums.

Check out the Fitbit Dashboard forum under the Help Forums which may better address your issue.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GlennFreemanwrote:
I will just do the calculations myself and deduct a certain amount of calories per day from FitBit's numbers until I'm maintaining my wright. But, FitBit should build these individual/adaptable aspects into their system so individuals can maintain their weight accurately.

@GlennFreeman -- I think that's a good approach -- that's what I've been doing.  As to your idea for improvement, I'd suggest posting it in the Feature Suggestions where people can vote on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GlennFreemanwrote:

Users only "own" their own posts, which they can delete (or rather empty) later on if they so wish, as you have been doing now. They can’t delete an entire topic, even when they started it. Only moderators can delete topics, and they normally do it only for topics that violate the Community Guidelines. This is not the case here.

I understand you were asking a question and the answers you got were not satisfying. C’est la vie, as we say in French. Some of these answers could be of interest to other community members, which is why topics that do not violate the community guidelines aren’t deleted.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

@GlennFreemanIt will not get deleted as people are discussion it..

At the top of the thread you will see a gear type thing. Pull it down and choose unsubscribe. Then you should stop getting emails

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes