Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-tracking or post-tracking?

I'm curious whether most people track (log) their food before they eat or afterwards.  As a longtime (and not very successful) Weight Watchers member, I was always encouraged to pre-track my day to make sure that I stayed within my daily points total.  But the way the Fitbit dashboard is set up, it seems that the expectation is for users to log their food afterwards.  Anybody have any guidance for a new member?  Thank you.

Fitbit Zip
Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Fantine It's good to see you in the Community! I've gone ahead and moved your post to the "Weight Loss" board in the Community. I think this will help you receive the response and discussion you're looking for. 

I hope to see you around! 

Fitbit Community ModeratorSilvana | Community Moderator, Fitbit
Best Answer

@Fantine - I log after, but you can log before.  I sometimes pop in what I'm planning for dinner before I choose an afternoon snack.  If you've set your option to sendentary then you simply have to burn off the calories after you eat them as the day goes on.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

OK, thanks for the help.  I'm gradually figuring out how this works compared to Weight Watchers.

Fitbit Zip
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm glad to see you around my friends @Fantine @A_Lurker Smiley Very Happy

The Food Plan also allows you to set a weight goal and estimates the date you will reach that goal by based on the selected plan intensity.

The Food Plan provides a daily calorie estimate as well as a gauge of real-time calories in vs. calories out. The calories in vs. out gauge gives dynamic feedback of whether you are under, in, or above your selected plan's recommended calorie deficit. You can also see a simple readout of the number of calories you have burned and eaten for that day.

For an accurate calorie estimate, you must log all of the food you eat. After logging foods and doing activities, your daily calorie estimate will update to show how much you can still eat for the rest of the day. As long as you are within 50 calories above or below your daily estimate when you log your last meal, you have met your plan's recommendations. 

The Food Plan's tools update based on your foods logged and activities recorded by your tracker. Your Fitbit tracker is always watching, so the more you exercise throughout the day, the greater your calorie allowance will be. 

As with any fitness program, we recommend speaking with a doctor before starting your new plan.

Hope to see you guys participating in the Community more often since I think it would be awesome for you to explore our Community, so you can go ahead and log to any of the topics that might be of your interest in our Discussion boards. Feel free to comment and contribute with your knowledge and experience.

Happy stepping! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer