Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prozac Weight Gain

I gained about 30 lbs from taking Prozac and have been working out regularly and eating right for the past 2 months now. I have only managed to lose 5 lbs so far. Its definitely not as fast or at the rate that I used to be able to shed weight. I am in my 30s so I understand that age can take a part in slowing this process down for me, but at the same time I know that Prozac has played a major part in this process. Has anyone had any success in losing weight after taking anti depressants? If so, what did you do to shed the lbs?

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Congratz on the first 5 lbs! While I don't share your experience, I think weight loss is not about how fast you lose it, as long as the scale keeps going down. So you are on the right track. Hopefully some people can share their experiences so you get a few more insights.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Hi, @rkbg, weight gain is a very common side effect of these sorts of therapies.  But you can be confident that these drugs (including Prozac) do not have a permanent effect on your metabolism (so far as scientfic analysis can determine), so that once your body has completely removed the drug completely (which for some medications can take several months) your body should be back to its "normal".

Of course, in the time you were taking this medication, not only did you get older (as you note!) you may also have changed -- perhaps only in subtle ways -- your approaches and attitudes to meals and snacks.  Maybe food has come to mean something different to you in ways you can't quite put your finger on...  Maybe that effects how and what you eat.  5 lbs in 2 months seems slow, but it is a good start

You mention you have been working on a change since coming off Prozac for two months.  In the first place, I would think it is possible that your body may not yet be completely free of Prozac for some time to come -- two months is not long.  Also, you probably did not gain 30 lbs in 2 months, so you probably won't lose them that quickly either.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

If you have the stomach for it, good HIIT should re-ignite your metabolism.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rkbg eating right and working out are super important to a healthy lifestyle- but they do not necessarily produce weight loss. Some things that are considered to be eating right are actually really high in calories which prevents you from being in a caloric deficit which is what you need to lose weight. You probably already know this and I am preaching to the choir, but calculating how many calories you should be eating per day to create a deficit and then logging your intake to make sure you are hitting your numbers will produce results even with the medication. It may not be quick, but it should be steady. Congrats to you on the first 5 and cheers to the next 5..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes