Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Psychological Factors of Weight Loss

I'm going to start by saying all this is just strictly as a layperson who has my own personal experiences and years (lots of them) people watching and helping friends and family.
How many of you over your life have heard from friends, family, and even ourselves:
"Don't bother, you won't succeed anyway."
"Wow, that's a lot of weight to lose. I think you need a more realistic goal"
"You're not worth it."
"You're just not trying hard enough. It's just eat less, move more. You're just lazy/ undisciplined/ not really motivated"
"Again? How many times have you already failed at that?"

For many people, it's not just a diet or exercise program. Everyone has their reason for our goals-- a wedding, our children, ourselves, to reverse diabetes or heart disease, etc. But within that motivation, I've learned you have to reach one crucial element... I am worth the work. It's a nasty crap-ton of work to sweat every day, measure and weigh and log every bite of food, to listen to outside and internal voices say all those things I started with. Survivors of abusive relationships, as children or adults, often still think they were at least partially to blame. They could have done something different. They didn't so they must have deserved it. Maybe still deserve something bad or a punishment or they don't deserve happiness and success now. You do. I will never say I was a victim of anything, I am a survivor. I have survived sexual abuse from a family member, physical and emotional abuse from an alcoholic parent, I survived rape, and a grueling breast cancer battle for a year with unilateral mastectomy and no reconstruction as a single mom working three jobs. That last one was tough. Cleavage and gorgeous hair is what society judges women on, and I had neither. I even had other breast cancer survivors give me a hard time about listening to my doctors and not getting reconstruction. I usually wear a prosthetic, but not always. It's amazing how no one would ever tell someone who lost their arm or leg to bone cancer that they really needed to wear a prosthetic because it looks better and makes other people more comfortable, but that's exactly what I've heard from men and women. I ate and hated what I looked like for multiple reasons. I finally realized I worked too hard to be alive to come out the other end worrying about weight related issues like heart disease and diabetes. I finally was able to look in the mirror almost every day and say "I'm worth it. Yes, I need to get healthier, but I'm alive and I'm going to kick butt today.

We also need to restructure our entire relationship with food. Honestly, the term "cheat meal/ cheat day" really bothers me. If you have to "cheat" on yourself, then this probably is not going to be a relationship with food that will produce lifelong healthy rewards. If your diet is restricting something you love to eat, you're not going to be happy with the journey. It's about finding what to eat and how much in a way that can help you get to healthy and happy for years down the road. If someone texts and says "Let's meet after work to celebrate my sister's birthday" go. Make healthy choices on your meal, have them bring a go box and split it before you eat any of it, then grab a spoon and enjoy the chocolate cake or creme brulee with everyone else. You're learning to eat for the rest of your life, and the counting and weighing and measuring every bite is just until you learn what an honest actual serving size looks like, until you have the habits to replace that Snickers bar with a couple of Hershey's Dark Chocolate Kisses, until you know the difference between thirsty and honestly hungry.
You can do this. I can do this. At my heaviest I was 179 pounds, my goal is back to the 125 I was before cancer, because until then I still don't feel like I've really beat it but it's still beating me. But now I know I'm worth the work. Please share with me some of your favorite positive affirmations and motivations.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

My granddaughter made this for me. Besides hanging near my desk, it is also the screen saver on all my devices. The fact that she made it, helps keep me accountable.

97C9C806-6413-411F-B2B1-225E4039FC9B.jpeg

Best Answer

Thank you for sharing @Phoenix14, very motivational! I didn't have any results in the beginning, I was only able to loose weight until I restructured my entire relationship with food, as you mentioned. I lost 30 pounds in total and was able to reach my recommended weight for my age group, a lot of things have improved in my life ever since. 😁

Excellent quote @SunsetRunner, very straightforward and very true!  

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

I had to remind myself of that some of my toughest times through my cancer fight. Thanks for the reminder. 🤗

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. It really is a two-step process... you have to make a good relationship with yourself, and then make a good relationship with food. I honestly don't believe you can achieve long term results with both. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No problem @Phoenix14! Yes, that's very important as well for sure, working on building a good relationship with ourselves.  😀

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes