Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about calories burned from a workout?

Hi all.

Is my Fitbit vastly overestimating my calories burned?

Went out for a walk lasting 53mins, with an average heart rate of 117bpm, spending all the time in the Fat Zone. And it says I've burned 487 kcals. Surely this can't be right?

Any advice?

Profile: 28 year old male, 5ft 10, 118.9 kg (obese)

Model used: FitBit Charge 2 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Why not?  Sounds reasonable to me.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok.

When I last went to the gym, when I did a similar exercise on a treadmill for 30 min I would only burn 100kcal, according to the machine. 

So the FitBit Charge 2's reading to me seems unlikely. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's tough to judge treadmill without knowing more about it and how it was measuring, did you input your weight, any other info, was it measuring pulse at all, etc?  Actually a bit surprising as I usually read about commercial equipment overestimating calorie burn, if anything, to make you feel good.

I can't be sure, but burning 9 calories per minute in fat-burn zone for a heavy guy, like Fitbit said, seems reasonable to me.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

These types of heart rate monitors are notoriously inaccurate. If you want more accurate, you'd need to get an actual HRM with a chest strap. In my experience, our watches are usually off by 2-300 calories. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. 

Can you recommend me a good one that I can also sync with the NutraCheck Calorie Counter app?

Best Answer
0 Votes