Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Riddle me this 30lb+ weight loss and no BF change???

I know there are posts about weight loss and no BF change, but every example i read has to deal with +/- a couple of pounds and the responses are everyone is different or "your losing weight but not necessarily BF". I have lost 30+ pounds since Sep. I can tell you its very clearly fat! and my BF has gone from....9/6/19 - 254lbs/49%BF to Today 1/18/20 - 216lbs/wait for it.........45%BF. Any reasonable explainations? 

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

If you do the calculations on those numbers, you get:
before - 254 lbs total; 124 lbs fat

after    - 216 lbs total;   97 lbs fat

which show total weight loss of 38 pounds; fat loss of 27 pounds.

I'm not an exercise physiologist, but that seems reasonable to me, or at least within the expected error range of an imperfect body fat % measurement technique.

Of course make sure you are measuring at the same time every day, preferably first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before drinking anything, because body fluids affect fat % measurement and vary throughout the day.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
Thank you for the explanation. It's harder than I thought to lose
significant BF.
Best Answer
0 Votes

If 72% of the weight loss comes from fat, it’s indeed very good. At some point you may consider including resistance training in your routine (if you haven’t done so), to minimize loss of lean mass.

Also: the bioimpedance analysis method used by scales to estimate body fat has its own limitations. You may want to use waist circumference, which is a rather good indicator of changes in body fat. I’m quite sure your waist shrank as you lost your 38 pounds.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can tell by how your clothes fit you. If you are working out in your target heart rate zone, You will be building muscle and loosing fat. Sometimes the scales don't show much of a loss, but the way your clothes fit proves it. Muscle weighs more than fat. 

https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/tools-calculators/percent-body-fat-calc...

Best Answer

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2006.00270.x

Be careful using drugs that promise to interfere with hormones and the result will be weight loss. Eat right, drink lots of water and exercise.

If there is a serious overweight problem, a person should be seeing doctors to help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you wearing a different size pants since 9/6/19?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't be impatient. Slow and steady wins the race! Make sure you are drinking water.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-2004425...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mikeems911 you've lost a fair amount of weight, but it is a smaller percentage of your total weight. Your body fat DID go down by 4% as you state. That is a change. Focus on the trend, not the actual number. You are making progress, don't give up. As you lose, you will see the BF change more quickly. Just keep going. Congratulations on 30 pounds lost!

Best Answer

if your body fat remains the same then I do not think you are loosing body fat like was calculated for you. This is a good article https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/20-reasons-you-are-not-losing-weight

Keep a food diary of every bite you eat. Examine the contents of what you eat. Eat on a regular schedule every day. Date Time food water sugary drinks alcohol. An average person who does not exercise should drink 8-8 oz glasses of water a day. When you exercise you up this amount, when it's hot you up the amount. It is necessary for almost every system and every cell of the body. It washes away waste. Waste buildup is bad for cells.

Best Answer
0 Votes