Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting target to eat only 800 calories

I have decided to follow Dr Michael Mosley's 8 week sugar diet to lose weight and control my blood sugar. This is a diet with a sound medical basis (just in case anyone thinks it's a fad crash diet!) but it proscribes that you eat only 800 calories each day based on a mediterranean diet, concentrating on low carb meals. I tried to set my target calorie intake on my fitbit zip to 800 so that I could track what I eat, but the app tells me that I have to set a target of between 1000-1500 calories which is not what I require. Is there a way I can override this to enter only 800 calories?
Best Answer
72 REPLIES 72

You just like to argue! I have watched you tell everyone they are wrong. Have a nice life!

Best Answer

@Demaxx1 wrote:

No no no.  Will you people stop spouting this garbage??

This isn't garbage! All you have done is come on here and in 3 post put down people. Post which are correct. If you read any research on losing weight healthy. They say for women the least you should eat is 1200 calories a day. If you workout you can eat more.

You told a nutritionist to do research. I think you should do some research. If you cannot add something constructive to the post, then don't post.

Maybe your just cranky because you are not eating enough!

LOL!  I assure you I am eating plenty. Smiley Wink   Look at your post:  "They say...." Really?  They??  Who is that, exactly? You are following the same old tired "OMG don't eat less than 1200 calories a day or your body will go into starvation mode!".  This is nonsense, and there are plenty of others here that agree.  The whole 1200 calorie thing came about to deal with the era of anorexics.  It's much easier to get a decent mix of nutrients, eating at 1200 calories or above.  However it is quite possible to eat less, and eat healthy.  Do you have to pay more attention to what you eat?  Certainly.  There is no such thing as "starvation mode" in the context of how people are using it here.  http://www.nowloss.com/starvation-mode-myth.htm  

http://www.thewhig.com/2014/03/05/starvation-mode-biggest-myth-in-weight-loss

And look up "adaptive thermogenesis" while you are at it. This is what happens when you lose weight.  It's normal, and to be expected.  Does it suck?  Yes.  Is there anyway to avoid it?  Yes, stay fat. Or never get fat in the first place. 

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/metabolic-damage

Use your head.  Do smart research.  

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

1200 is just an average just like 1500 is just an average for males

to say every female needs to eat 1200 and every male needs to eat 1500 to stay alive is just stupid as that is presuming that every females/males body is exactly the same and requires the same minimum amount of calories to stay alive

Exactly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Demaxx1 wrote:

One does not have to be a Doctor to recognize BS. You have already shot down a nutritionist! I will not stand and at least not let someone know that the diet they have chosen may be harmful to their health. Just about every fad diet out there claims to have a Doctors backing or research behind them. That does not mean they are safe.

A brisk walk can burn 200-400 calories. That is why we use a mixture of nutrition and exercise. If I sit on my butt all day and do nothing, I burn between 2000 and 2200 calories. I am not 17, I am 51 years old.

Calories burned during a walk will depend upon the distance you walked, your weight, and to a much lesser degree, the intensity of effort (in this case, speed).  2 miles?  About 200 calories.  4 miles?  About 400. "A brisk walk" to you, may mean something completely different to someone else.  I am 61 years old, and my normal calorie intake is around 1350 - 1400 calories a day.  That is to MAINTAIN my weight. That is WITH 10K or more, steps a day, and 3-4 nights at the gym. But that is ME, not YOU.  You need to understand that we are ALL different.  An average is just that - an average.

Best Answer

@ChessI don't really care what you think, because you don't know what you are talking about. Don't waste your time I won't comment again. If you want to argue anonymously stay on twitter! Have a nice life!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not arguing at all.  Just trying to insert a little logic into your thinking.  (I don't do Twitter, but you have fun there.)

Best Answer

I think using myfitness pal would work!  Robot Happy

I think the hard thing for me with the arguments on this thread is some people are dieting (they plan to do it, reach a goal and then stop, if they gain, they may go back on a diet) and others are trying to have a change of how they are planning to eat for the rest of their lives.  They are very different and sustainable for different rates of time.

Best Answer

Listen, the whole starvation mode argument is BS and I also disagree with the fact that you HAVE to eat at least 1200 calories. However, if you try and eat 800 calories a day you will inevitably break your diet and binge. And by binge I dont mean eating 1-2 more servings more of a snack on your meal plan. I mean like a stupid amount of calories all day binge until you're bloated and miserable. The key to weight loss is to be consistent. And eating that low amount of calories for a long period of time is not sustainable and you will fail.

Best Answer

I haven't failed in the last several years, but maintained weight on 'starvation' rations.  I have fought against generalisations for most of my life.

Retired disabled, Charge5, Android, Win 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

Then you are the exception obviously.  Your average person with a normal BMR isn't going to be able to maintain an 800 cal diet without slipping up.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Chess wrote:

After bariatric surgery it is normal to be instructed to eat below 800 calories.  Sometimes as low as 500.

Just saying.  It's certainly NOT unheard of.

After bariatric surgery you're also under strict medical supervision, eating a pretty controlled diet, and taking nutritional supplements for the rest of your life to make sure you aren't malnourished. That's not the same as following some fad "Doctor"-approved diet without any actual nutritional guidelines. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@800cals How did the diet work out for you?

Best Answer

I agree. 800 calories is really asking for failure.  It's simply too low to sustain anyone long term, so unless you are doing this with medical supervision, it's really not advisable to have such a low daily goal.

Best Answer
0 Votes