Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smaller Goals Longer time to loose

Am I the only one to fond that the smaller goals the longer the time

i.e: A person that only needs to lose 10 pounds vs someone that  needs to loose 20 or 40 pounds wont loose them as fast at the start and hit a plateau earlier?

Opinions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

How fast you will lose at the start is determined mainly by the size of your deficit. If the deficit is the same (.e.g. 500 calories), the weight loss at the start should be the same whether you intend to lose 10 or 40 pounds in total. When you will hit a plateau will also be determined by the size of the deficit (the higher the deficit, the sooner the plateau), but also by the total amount of weight loss in one stretch. Someone looking to lose 10 pounds may well reach her goal before hitting a plateau: for instance, losing 1 pound a week in 10 weeks with a 500 calories deficit without plateauing is very realistic. OTOH, someone losing a total of 40 pounds in 4 months is much more likely to hit a plateau, because of the higher deficit, higher total weight loss and longer time spent in a deficit.

The starting point also matters: do you start at 140 pounds in the normal weight range or at 200 pounds in the overweight or obese range? The leaner you are, the harder it is to get even leaner.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I started fit bit at 156.5 lbs.

But I am usually around the 147.7/152.

I reached 143lbs only once before 4 years ago when I was eating 1200 cal and exercising 2h 4 times a week

My ultimate goal would be 143 but its hard to stay there as I feel like I cant indulge and have a social life, it appears that I should weigh136.6 as I measure 5ft5 but that to me would mean litteraly no life. Seems almost impossible as I have been over weight all my life

Best Answer
0 Votes

Part of it might be the law of diminishing returns. The closer we get to our weight goal, the more attention and effort it takes to get that last little bit of weight off. The first 10% weight loss certainly feels easier than then last 10%.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

If your current lifestyle has you maintain 153 ±3 and you want to shift down to 143 ±3 more permanently, something has to give in. This doesn’t mean you won’t be able to indulge on occasions, or have a social life, but this could mean indulging less frequently, cutting on the number of drinks you’re having when partying, increasing your overall activity, spending less time in front of screens, getting more sleep etc.

Your "ideal" weight isn’t a single number, it’s more of a range. I don’t know how you obtained 136.6, but if using BMI (which can be criticized), the normal range is really broad: for your height, it would go from 112 to 150. 145 may be just as good for you as 137, depending on things like general health, fitness level, musculature, fat distribution etc.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found that when in your normal weight range it IS harder to lose those few pounds and keep them off, when your body is aware that the weight you are, is the weight it SHOULD be at (even when the desire to lose a little more is there). You must also remember that when getting "fit" on top of losing weight, that muscle weighs more than fat does...You could be losing body fat, but building muscle, as well as converting some of the fat into muscle......Have ya taken measurements of your body dimensions, as well as checking your BMI? Also remember that BMI pertains to the average person at that height and weight and doesn't really target the specific individual.......i.e. some of those inches ya measure aren't really fat at all, but instead muscle for someone who's actually fit or getting fit. I know for me specifically, now that I'm gaining muscle I actually look larger than I did last time I was at this weight. 

As far as indulging, as well as "having a social life" you can still maintain your specified weight range while doing these things. Weight gain/loss is bases on intake vs. burn on a total of 3500+ cals=1 pound gained vs -3500 cals equals 1 pound lost it's all about balance throughout the week and the older we get that number goes lower as well.

Myself personally on a 1200 calorie diet hit a plateau that lasted 3 weeks, and I purchased my Fitbit and right off the bat have averaged the 2 pound a week at a 1,000 cal deficit per day (obviously I spend alot of time burning calories) and even with all the muscle being gained still manage the 2 plbs per week.

There are ALOT of factors to consider, as well as the level of not only your motivation, but determination as well. But don't EVER  give up on the idea of being able to on occasion being able to "treat" yourself in moderation of course, just remember to make up for it through the week and give something else up in trade, or burn a little more to make up for it....

Losing weight and getting fit isn't a temporary thing, it's a life-style choice and therefore a life-style change......Good luck to you!! 

Sherry
Best Answer
0 Votes

@sherry130wrote:

I have found that when in your normal weight range it IS harder to lose those few pounds and keep them off, when your body is aware that the weight you are, is the weight it SHOULD be at 

Although you may both be at or close to the normal weight range, there’s a big difference between you and the original poster: she has been at or around her current weight for a long time, whereas you arrived to it more recently and as the result of a major drop . What makes it harder for you to drop further is the fact your body hasn’t had as much time to settle to the new weight. The body doesn’t want to bring you to the weight you SHOULD be at: it wants to keep you were you have been for a long time, or bring you back to that weight (even if that weight was unhealthy). This is why so many people rebound after a major weight loss. Nevertheless, if you are extra careful with your intake, make it a point to increase your activity and are very motivated, you can push it through. I think it’s the main difference between you and the OP: being ready to do what it takes.

As to being able to gain muscle while in a 1000 calories deficit, you must have won at the genetic lottery. For most people, gaining muscle is an incredibly slow process (like watching paint dry or grass grow), even when doing all the right things and being in the right conditions (caloric surplus). In most cases, it’s very unlikely lack of weight loss can be explained by muscle gains offsetting fat loss.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer