Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smaller deficit whilst on holiday

So a little background- I've been trying to lose weight since February and so far have lost 40lbs, leaving me at 144lbs. I would like to get to 140, perhaps 135, but generally I am close to my goal. I've achieved this by exercise and maintaining a 500 calorie deficit each day.
However, I'm currently on holiday, and we are having a very relaxing chilled out holiday (which I feel like I need) meaning obviously I'm not burning as many calories, and eating more treats than usual.
I wondered what people's opinions were on still maintaining a deficit, but a smaller one than usual? For instance, the past two days I've been 200 under rather than 500. What would happen if I maintained this habit for the rest of the week?
It makes me feel guilty because I worry that the change will lead to fat gain (weight doesn't worry me if I know I've done a lot of strength training, but obviously this won't be the case on holiday).
Anyway, sorry to ramble but I'm basically asking for opinions on whether this is okay?
Many thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I've had to cut my deficit the last month because of an injury. Surprisingly, I lost weight faster.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think the the closer you get to your ideal range the more you need to up your caloric intake anyhow.  I found this on my own.  I am at 160, looking for an ideal of 130-150.  I upped my caloric intake recently because I wasn't seeing any movment on the scale.  I am starting to see some flickers.  Plus, you are on holiday.  I think that is the time to treat yourself.  As long as you burn more than what you eat you should be good.  Let yourself have a great time and not worry

Best Answer
0 Votes

Eat and enjoy yourself.  Just don't over do it.  If you maintain any deficit, you shouldn't gain anything.

All that will happen is you probably won't lose as much this week as you typically do.  Once you go back your normal diet, your should return to your normal weight loss.

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I wouldn't worry about relaxing it a little.  Wanting a little break I actually did maintenance for a little over a week (ie. no deficit at all) and didn't gain.  The one warning is to not freak out if you're up a little when you go back to it.  Sometimes if you change your eating/drinking habits your weight can fluctuate a bit.  I went to the Dominican back in March, weighing myself before and after.  Although I was more active, after day 1 I didn't bother recording anything.  I came back a pound lighter, but dropped more the week after as the water weight slipped off.

As you're close to your goal it's probably not a bad idea to practice how you need to eat to maintain your weight as well.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Congratulations on being so close to your long term goal!

And that helps me with my post - long term goal.

You're currently on holiday and having a great time from the sounds of things. This is short term. Obviously you're not wanting to gain weight but may be think of the weight as a loan? You might gain a pound or two as payment for some delicious foreign treats that you wouldn't otherwise get to enjoy. Once back from your holiday simply pay back your loan and return that pound or two back to the universe.

You've already proven you can do it by getting as far as you have.

Best Answer
0 Votes

you will more than likely not gain or lose depending on what your cheats are. if you are heavy salt cheating then you might see an up swing when you get home. lots of water and back to normal eating will help shed it within two days. when I was losing, I would get my panties in a twist with guilt. over time I have realized that as long as the majority of your day is spent in your food rules- a bite here and there isn't going to ruin it all for you. I would suggest though that you not spend all day in the lounge chair. help your body process by moving a bit here and there...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes