Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling

Hey. I'm really struggling with trying to lose weight. I am now 30 pounds over (185 when I need to be 155) and I need to get it off but I don't know how because I can't really exercise with my asthma and I've been dieting for a year and I have had no benefit.   Any tips? Does anyone struggle the same? Thanks!

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Although I do not have asthma, my husband and one of our children do.  They both have an inhaler to use that allows them to exercise comfortably.  Have you talked with your doctor about managing your asthma and exercise?  I think that's the place to begin.

Unfortunately, there is no magic to losing weight.  Calories in/calories out.  Set reasonable goals.  For example, 30 pounds is doable - but not in a month.  I love food, and dislike exercise - a bad combination.  When I was younger, it wasn't a big problem, but as I've gotten older, I have gained weight more easily.  I am now pretty strict about keeping track of both what I eat (weighing for accuracy) and what I do for exercise.  I'd happily not exercise, but if I do that, I have less calories for the day, so...  Exercise is a must, for me.  

Finally, when you have a bad day, and overeat, don't let it sabotage you.  It happens.  It was one meal, or snack, or day.  Put it behind you and do better the next.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Allison09 I had asthma all my life but since I got fit I never had to use my medication again (6 years free of inhalers, although I found recently during cleanings my old blue Ventolin inhaler). Exercising with asthma is tricky but not impossible; it is even recommended nowadays. I know a few athletes with asthma (although not each asthma is the same) but I can speak only for myself.

When I started my weight loss anything like running was out of the question. That would trigger an asthma attack almost instantly. Instead, I found out I could cycle indoors, which helped me build aerobic capacity (which people with asthma really need because this will make their bodies use oxygen more efficiently). So started with short 10 to 15min spinning sessions at an easy pace, with no fatigue and gradually increase the time to 30min+. Go easy but if you think you feel ok then turning the intensity up will help improve the base further. You will start noticing the difference when your body will condition to the new activity. I was advised by my doctor to take a puff of blue inhaler before and after exercise but with my experience, I would say "if you feel you must". It's because you may develop a habit that will create a mental block (feeling uneasy without that puff). Make sure that the place you exercise is properly ventilated, not too hot, not too cold etc. The gym environment can be a good place but I just used a spinning bike in my bedroom.

The level-up for me was running which was a big "no-no" before. When I already lost some weight, I added to my daily lunchtime walks short jogs (like a 1min jog and then a walk and repeat). The jog didn't have any impact on my asthma so I started increasing the time of jogging and reducing walking (then I decided that maybe it was time to get proper running clothes 🤣). I was still cautiously taking a puff of the inhaler before and after but that was the mental block I mentioned before. Looking back at it, it was totally unnecessary.

Now, 6 years later no more asthma. I lived 37 years with asthma avoiding exercising which probably was a mistake. Do it smart and who knows, you may be in the same boat. Knowledge about asthma changed over the past years and there's even a theory that "exercise-induced asthma" doesn't exist but there may be different factors causing the issue (like being overweight).

Best Answer

Losing weight can be a challenging journey, particularly when facing obstacles like asthma and limited exercise options. If you've been diligently dieting for a year without seeing results, it's crucial to reassess your approach. Focus on making sustainable, healthy lifestyle changes that are not solely reliant on exercise. Prioritize a balanced diet comprising nutrient-dense foods while being mindful of portion sizes. Opt for low-impact activities such as walking or swimming that are less likely to trigger asthma symptoms. Consider seeking guidance from a nutritionist or healthcare provider who can provide personalized advice and support. Remember that weight loss is a gradual process, and it's essential to be patient and kind to yourself during this journey. You are not alone in this struggle, and seeking support from others who may be facing similar challenges can provide the encouragement and motivation needed to achieve your weight loss goals.

Best Answer

You are not alone. Many people, just like you, are currently on their weight loss journey. If you're looking for an alternative to regular exercising, consider exploring diet fasting for weight loss hypnosis. You can find more details about it here https://danielbenabraham.com/fast-how-to-fast-and-enjoy-fasting-and-intermittent-fasting-for-weight-.... Ensure that you read the affirmations every single morning to fully experience and enjoy the results.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hiya x I have struggled for years to loose weight  I have done every diet going . Since I have got my fit bit I have lost a stone . Sometimes  1 pound a week . 1/2 or mostly 2 a week  . I look at calories burned and calories in . I weigh everything which is a pain at first but then it becomes the normal . I have set my  plan at 1000 calorie deficit a day some days under some days over  but it balances out over a week . I eat healthy but eat carbs protein and fat . I don’t exercise but I aim for 10000 steps a day . If I want a treat I have one then just increase my activity by walking on the spot or going for a brisk walk . For me this approach has been a game changer . It’s not what type of exercise you do it’s just about increasing your heart rate thus increasing your metabolism . 
Calories in v Calories out has worked for me and increasing my activity by just walking . If you research how many calories you do burn by doing rigorous exercise you will be shocked at how LITTLE calories you do burn :fire: Good luck x 

Best Answer

I would have a chat to your GP and ask to be put in touch with an Exercise Physiologist experienced in working with asthma patients. The Exercise Physiologist will be able to work with your GP or asthma nurse to work out a progressive exercise program for you. I understand it can be scary for you but consider that many Olympic athletes also live with asthma. Asthma itself does not need to be a barrier for you but you need experienced professional people to help you find a way to manage it. You have struggled long enough.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Allison.  I too am struggling.  I have had some health issues over the past year.  2 hospitalizations, irregular heart rhythm, & 2 bouts of pneumonia.  Ugh!  I have gained about 30lbs since last September when all of this started.  I am doing better but am having a hard time getting motivated to diet & exercise.  Hoping things will get better for both of us.  Hang in there!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, how has your fitness journey been so far? I read a post you posted in the community and I totally relate with it also you seem like a really interesting person and I would to hear from you soon. Have a lovely day ❤️

Leave a message..
Best Answer
0 Votes

You don't need to exercise to lose weight.  In fact it can hamper your weight loss by making you hungry.  I have lost 42lbs since March on a low-carb (not keto) diet without exercise.  Now that I've lost a fair bit of weight I have started walking for 30 minutes per day, mainly because I enjoy walking.  And no, I haven't used any weight loss drugs eg Ozempic/Wegovy etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

KEC62 - Light exercise such as walking for 30 minutes would not be enough to increase appetite and reduce/prevent weight loss. And there are far more benefits to exercise than just potential weight loss. It is impossible to out-train a poor diet in any case!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there! I hear you, and it's understandable that dealing with weight loss challenges can be tough. It's great that you're reaching out for support. Firstly, consider consulting with a healthcare professional who can provide personalized advice considering your asthma and overall health. In terms of dieting, focus on nutrient-dense foods, portion control, and perhaps explore alternative low-impact exercises that might be asthma-friendly

https://toronto-realestate-photography.com/real-estate-photography-in-oakville-capturing-the-essence...

Best Answer
0 Votes