Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions or Tips & Tricks for Being Full Longer

Hey guys, I'm having trouble losing weight due to the fact that I keep binge eating because I don't feel full. I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions for foods that are high fiber/low glycemic/ or anything else to help me stay full longer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

Hi y'all, so I'm looking for some suggestions for foods that are low on the glycimic index/high in fiber and that will keep you full. Im finding that I binge eat quite a bit because I don't feel full; and I'm hoping that some of you will have suggestions for foods that will keep me full, and/or fuller longer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I have protein with each meal I stay full longer.

But I also include a morning snack of fruit and and Afternoon snack of yogurt.

So I am eating about every too hours.

Also Olive oil make sure to have some with what ever you are eating it helps to keep you full and you do need fat. Just not a lot I will put 2 teaspoon's in my low fat or Fat free dressing for a salad I have daily

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Generally, I'd suggest tracking your macro nutrients (protein, carbohydrates, fats) for a couple days.  Try to increase protein.  Protein and Carbohydrate have about 4 calories/gram.  Fat has about 9 calories/gram.  If you can push up your protein intake to something like 30% of your calorie intake and cut the sugar (to nothing), you should loose weight rather rapidly.  However, that sounds like a 'diet', which is something I don't recommend.

Instead, avoid sugar and generally try to eat more protein.  Don't worry about day-to-day weight fluctuations.  Get your 'steps' each day.  Over time, you will loose weight slowly.  Try to loose weight as slowly as possible. 

Best Answer

I am adding Fiber Powder to all my drinks. I am noticing that I am now getting and staying fuller longer than before. You can  also try by eating  1/2 bagel or Double Fiber Bread with your meals too!

Best Answer

I would suggest you make sure you are drinking enough water, then look for foods that are high in volume but low in fat and calories.  I find that protein for breakfast keeps me full longer than carbs, I eat egg beaters,  1/4 cup is only 30 cal, and I can make a huge plate with 3/4 cup and a cup of brocolli, top with a little cheese, and have a nice breakfast for under 250 cal,  I also eat every 2 hours, morning snack is an 80 cal yogurt, then I might have some raw veggies to hold me until lunch,  afternoon is the same,  While dinner is cooking I munch on raw veggies and have a big glass of water,  1/2 - 3/4 of dinner is low carb veggies served without butter, then lean protein,  if I were still hungry I would add a salad or more veggies,  evening snacks are healthy, fruits, veggies, yogurts,  i eat 6 times a day. and dont' get hungry 

Best Answer

As already mentioned, always go for high-quality protein (it keeps your blood sugar/glucose levels much more level and thus keeps you from being leptin resistant), but DON'T be afraid of fat! You obviously don't want to be eating French fries all the time, nobody thinks that is good for you, but there is a huge difference in fats. Half of an avocado or small handful of almonds makes a WORLD of difference, and again, keeps your blood sugar level. Protein and fiber keep you full much longer than carbs (especially the refined ones), but fat is crucial in this as well. 

I know you mentioned in another thread that you are a vegetarian, but if you eat eggs, try this:

2-3 hard-boiled eggs (leave the yolk in there!)

1/2 an avocado

Rosemary, black pepper, and salt, to taste

Homemade mayo (if you want it, it's not necessary)

Chop eggs, mash avocado, blend, add spices. Presto!

"You can't out-run your fork!"
Best Answer
0 Votes

Stay satisfied longer when eatingmostly foods provided from nature as minimal as processed: fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, eggs..

On the other side when eating something like a prepackaged half chocolate waffle which is higher in calories may want automatically more from while still not feeling satisfied.

Try to allow have once in a while instead, choosing the nutritients rich foods mainly.. Smiley Embarassed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Binge eating is something I deal with.  Protein is important, but I've learned if I'm just feeling snacky and I've already had a meal, I try to keep fresh fruit and veggies around.  Carrots, celery, grapes, apples ... all things very high in fiber and water content.

Best Answer

My favorite way to cut down on the binge eating is surprisingly enough, to just eat, I have found for myself if i try to avoid eating when hungry it will result in me eating alot more when i eventually get around to the task. The thing that has worked for me is changing the environment around me and what i reach for when i am hungry or want to snack between meals.

The change I made that was helping me alot is how i organize the food in my home, attempting to keep fresh fruit (apples, banana, oranges, cucumbers are my favorite!) in easily accessible locations such as in a bowl on the table, or as the first items at the front of your fridge. You want your healthy food to be the most accessible, I cant remember where i read it, but I once heard that the food you are most likely to eat is usually the first thing you encounter. So on the other hand if i have junk food on my table when i go into the kitchen to eat something, I will likely eat the junk food. 

I found i helped curb my hunger when i started eating more nutritious fresh foods, instead of all the process food. Your body will send hunger signals if you need more nutrients as well as calories (not all calories are equal). Try eating a more diversified diet and prep your own food whenever you can manage the time.

Good Luck with your journey!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very late response, but I haven't been active in the forums. However, I have found bulgur salad to be useful. Just add chicken or something else to up the protein. Substitute the bulgur with quinoa, riced cauliflower or broccoli for gluten free and lower calories. Its a side dish or a meal. https://food52.com/recipes/53788-bulgur-salad

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @StacyLR -- two things I like about that bulgar salad recipe is that it includes beans and a whole grain -- fiber and complex carbs really seem to help keep hunger at bay longer. 

Until a few years ago, I never thought I would eat salads as a meal, but for the past couple of years 3-4 days/week my lunch is a salad starting with about 3 cups of leafy greens, some other chopped veggies like broccoli, cucumber, pea pods, shredded root veggies, mushrooms, a 1/2 cup of beans (black beans, lentils and chickpeas are good) 1/2 cup of grains  (farrow, wheatberry, quinua, bulgur are common options), and usually an animal protein like chicken, tuna or salmon.  Add some oil and balsamic vinegar and some chopped nuts for a bit more fat and fiber, and I've got a really filling meal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

A book I found very helpful is called Volumetrics by Dr. Barbara Rolls she is a prof. at Penn State University and has done many studies over the years about this exact subject. You can find it in just about any library. I got mine on ebay for $4.95. It is all about what the others have been talking about, adding volume to meals, the importance of protein and fats and food density. It is a way to still eat our favorite comfort foods but adding in say butternut squash to macaroni & cheese. It is basically a way to eat what you already eat but add soups and veggies to stay stuffed all day. I have found it to invaluable. Good luck and sorry for the late response.

Best Answer
0 Votes