Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sushi instead of a burger?

So I get cravings for food I am getting Sushi instead of a burger, but not sure if the salt content is all it's cracked up to be.  Also, I am having lots of trouble finding calories in Whole Food's Sushi togo boxs.  They are pre made and you can grab one and go and eat it on the way home.  I used to stop and grab a burger for an afternoon snack, this is a much more costly snack then the burger.  I also thought it was better but I can't find a consistent calorie calculation.  I am getting 250-650, all I know is I normally get a Rainbow Roll or Spicy Tuna and they are 8 pieces.  If it's 650, the burger may actually have fewer calories.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

You might want to go to  Myfitnesspal.com - they have a much better food database than fitbit's and you can pair it up to sync what you enter on their site will tranfer over nutrition info to the fitbit site - they list several type Rainbow rolls and Spicy tunas from Whole Foods as well as HEB and Central Market. If you are anywhere in Texas you will probably understand why I mention them. 

Marking your question "solved" lets others know that they may find an answer to a question they have in this thread
Best Answer

I have learned that calories don't mean much to me anymore. Take a look at what the food is giving you other than calories. The sushi you are eating (I too am a sushi lover) is providing you omega 3's and protein from the fish. Also, if your sushi has avocado, carrot, or cucumber, uh, hello, VEGGIES! The rice around the sushi isn't the best, but switch to brown rice if you have the choice. 

Now take a look at your burger. The meat from the burger...okay, I guess theres your protein, but theres a high fat %. Also, the carbs in the 100% white bun are way higher than the brown rice in sushi. The carbs in that bread is just going to turn into sugar, and then into fat. The sodium levels in a burger is what is going to get you. Sodium makes you hold on to your water and puff up, and thats the last thing we all want. If you are having cheese on your burger, it's most likely extremely processed, and that too also has a lot of fat. 

You're body needs calories to live. It takes calories to pump your heart, blink your eyes, make blook cells, even to think. Think about what your food is doing for your body. Fish is providing you with good fats that help you burn the bad fats (I know that doesn't make much sense but trust me, it's a thing.) Cucumbers are mostly water, carrots are good for your eyes, avocado is protein packed and also has omega 3's. Take apart your burger now. Sure, the meat is protein, but what is the white bun, cheese, and salt doing for you? Not really anything good. 

Even if your sushi has higher calories than your burger, it might just end up being better for you in the long run. 

Hope this all makes sense...and helps! 

Good luck 🙂 

Best Answer

Well said! 🙂

@Kmheidemann wrote:

I have learned that calories don't mean much to me anymore. Take a look at what the food is giving you other than calories. The sushi you are eating (I too am a sushi lover) is providing you omega 3's and protein from the fish. Also, if your sushi has avocado, carrot, or cucumber, uh, hello, VEGGIES! The rice around the sushi isn't the best, but switch to brown rice if you have the choice. 

Now take a look at your burger. The meat from the burger...okay, I guess theres your protein, but theres a high fat %. Also, the carbs in the 100% white bun are way higher than the brown rice in sushi. The carbs in that bread is just going to turn into sugar, and then into fat. The sodium levels in a burger is what is going to get you. Sodium makes you hold on to your water and puff up, and thats the last thing we all want. If you are having cheese on your burger, it's most likely extremely processed, and that too also has a lot of fat. 

You're body needs calories to live. It takes calories to pump your heart, blink your eyes, make blook cells, even to think. Think about what your food is doing for your body. Fish is providing you with good fats that help you burn the bad fats (I know that doesn't make much sense but trust me, it's a thing.) Cucumbers are mostly water, carrots are good for your eyes, avocado is protein packed and also has omega 3's. Take apart your burger now. Sure, the meat is protein, but what is the white bun, cheese, and salt doing for you? Not really anything good. 

Even if your sushi has higher calories than your burger, it might just end up being better for you in the long run. 

Hope this all makes sense...and helps! 

Good luck 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not a sufficient amount of veggies however. Storemade rolls only account for a small margin of veggies to go in a roll. On topic, those Sushi rolls are very high according to MFP. Here's one of those foods.

Whole Foods - Sushi - Brown Rice Tuna Avocado Roll

1. Servings:  1 package 8 Pieces
Calories400Sodium910 mg
Total Fat8 gPotassium0 mg
Saturated1 gTotal Carbs64 g
Polyunsaturated0 gDietary Fiber7 g
Monounsaturated0 gSugars16 g
Trans0 gProtein17 g
Cholesterol20 mg  
Vitamin A6%Calcium2%
Vitamin C8%Iron6%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, 

Just wanted to chime in, although nutritionally sushi may be better as was mentioned you do have to be careful with it. While a burger can have a moderate to high calorie content for one meal; sushi it is very easy to eat one sushi roll after another and rest assured calories from Sushi add up very fast especially for one trying to calorie count. From what I've seen people eat alot of sushi in one sitting and sushi is not very filling.  So if you do want to enjoy it just make adjustment throughout your day to accommodate the extra calories or workout a little harder OR just enjoy it and be good the rest of the week. 

hope this helps! 

ETA: Burgers can be just as healthy by simply swapping out ingredients e.g. using ground turkey or veggie burgers, herbs in place of less or no salt, whole wheat bun, whole wheat bread thin, or lettuce wrap, easy on the condiments. there are many delicious options

losing weight is all about fueling your body properly and finding the proper calories in calories out for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess we could try sashimi!  Sashimi is also a particularly good choice for those on low carb diets due the high protein, low carbohydrate profile of many fish. Lighten up by skimping on rice: What’s sushi without rice? Sashimi — and ordering it will save you quite a lot in refined carbs and calories. One piece of tuna sashimi (approximately 1 ounce of protein with no rice) has about 35 calories. Make it a piece of tuna nigiri (with rice) and it’s about 61 calories. A typical sushi roll is prepared with one cup of rice, which amounts to three servings of carbs and 240 calories. And that’s before the fish, vegetables and any sauce has been added. • Tip: Order "naruto." Have your roll wrapped in cucumber instead of rice and you’ll save a few hundred calories. If you're craving rice, don’t worry. Just ask for your roll to be prepared with “light rice” and, if available, request brown rice for a nutritional boost. Opt for lean protein and healthy fat: Salmon, tuna and yellow tail (all staples at the sushi bar) are among the leanest proteins you can eat. And, you don't have to eat them raw — most Japanese restaurants offer a selection of broiled, grilled or steamed seafood. Go ahead and enjoy a few pieces of fatty cold-water fish such as mackerel and eel, which are both rich in heart-healthy omega 3. You can still keep the calories down by rounding out your meal with a vegetarian roll made with cucumber, asparagus or avocado (instead of fish). Keep in mind that while avocados are a good source of healthy fat, they are also higher in calories than other vegetables, so eat them in moderation. • Tip: If sushi is a mainstay of your diet, regularly include vegetarian rolls to help reduce your intake of mercury from fish. The USDA recommends that women who are pregnant or breastfeeding limit their fish and seafood intake to 12 ounces per week

Best Answer
0 Votes